Sign in to follow this  
Ava Mapochi

How to back-up and sort my SL inventory on my PC HD?

Question

4 answers to this question

Hmmmm.... there is no simple way to do so. There is no export function for SL objects. This is a problem.

If you have time, you can copy-paste notecards, make screen copies of textures and record sounds. In a general way, do this of course only for elements that you own, or which are free of copyright, such as textures which are memories for you.

For objects, there was an (in)famous Copybot script created to save objects on your hard drive, but it was extensively used for copyright theft, so I don't know if it is still allowed and where to get it. And DO NOT use copies of unknown source or hacked viewers: pirates are not kind, these softwares are quasi 100% certified to contain viruses, or at least tools for opening a back door on your PC.

Otherwise, the only way to have some back-up is to have another character (an alt) that you can left dormant, or use for other purposes. And still this works only for copiable and transferable objects.

In most of the case, missing objects in inventory can be recovered if you "clean the cache".

• Like 1

Legally, making a backup of all of your inventory is impossible. SL offers no such capability, because it would make content theft and tranfer of "no transfer" or "no copy" content too easy. You do not have any legal right to export content created by anyone else to your local hard disk, or to other grids or accounts. (A notable exception is that a full-perms texture usually can individually be saved to your hard drive, so you can edit it and re-upload for your own use. But textures you buy from others usually have terms of use agreements that prohibit resale, as textures, of purchased textures that you download and then upload.)

There are third party "Solutions" such as Second Inventory, that will allow you to back up what you, personally, have created - stuff that you made every prim and texture and script in. It may be able to do more, but again, not legally.

There are thief-ware clients that can reportedly copy individual items to a local hard disk file, and re-create them later in any account. Their use to do so with any item that you, personally, are not the sole creator of is not legal, and can get you banned from SL.

---

There are some "thin clients" for SL that will allow you to log in with a text-only mode, and they will allow you to access and sort your inventory, without using the full client to be in-world. These clients do cause your avatar to appear in-world, and allow limited interaction with others in-world.

Hi all! I'm using Yichard Muni's (hello!) method for at least one year:

Otherwise, the only way to have some back-up is to have another character (an alt) that you can left dormant, or use for other purposes. And still this works only for copiable and transferable objects.

I have two alts and both have a copy of my important "things" in a special folder of their inventory. But I'm suddenly wondering if these copies are considered as different objects in the SL database, or only one. If it disappears, it disappears in the three inventories.

Maybe I'm wrong (I hope so), can anyone answer this? Thanks in advance.