Appearance and AjaxLife

Bo Rossen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5174 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi all,

My first real question, and I hope I'm able to solve it.

Whenever I log into SL using the AjaxLife client (hosted on my own server), my friends tell me I am a white particle cloud. I have also logged in using my secondary account and can indeed see that my appearance is never downloaded.

My best bet so far, is that the client first downloads the appearance, and then distributes it back to the sim for everyone else to see. My idea is to build this functionality into the AjaxLife server.

Does anyone have some inside knowledge on how this works?

PS I hope anyone has some better understanding of C# I'm pretty good at Delphi and have written several personal patches for the opensim server, but some things are still a pain. Any help is very much appreciated

3 answers to this question

How old is the libsl/libomv used in ajaxlife? Historically the library was pretty bad at handling appearance updates, but it's a lot better in the trunk (maybe the 0.7 release too, but I'm not so sure about that one). Assuming ajaxlife is happy running against the newer library, you can look in the source for TestClient's appearance command for what calls to use. (libsl based clients tend to call the appearance stuff automagically these days, but the command is still there to peek at.)

• Like 1

The most recent AjaxLife code runs against libomv 0.7; prior to this (a couple of months ago) it was using libsl 0.5. Under libsl 0.5, it would successfully appear; under libomv 0.7 is does not. I must admit that I have not looked into why this is the case.

Previously, the only dealing with appearance was this line:

client.Appearance.SetPreviousAppearance(false);

Obviously, that doesn't work any more (and, in fairness, only ever worked "most" of the time).

There may be an easy fix, but I don't know what it might be, nor do I currently have the motivation to investigate it.

Katherine,

Previously, the only dealing with appearance was this line:

client.Appearance.SetPreviousAppearance(false);

This is the line I found as well

There may be an easy fix, but I don't know what it might be, nor do I currently have the motivation to investigate it.

I can understand. Therefore I'll be happy take this up and find a proper working fix for it. I have already joined the openmv dev list, so hopefully they'll have a definitive answer. I also downloaded the openmv sources, and will look into the example code to see how it's done.

Even though I have little C# development knowledge, I have been able to understand your code quite well (thanks to my Delphi and Java background). When I have created a proper fix for it, I shall send you the diff, so that when you do have the time and energy you can take a look at it and add it to the git. Hopefully I should have come up with something by the end of next week (if my current job-load allows it).

For what it's worth Kath, I think that your project has been one of the best development idea's of the last decade. Who knows, HTML5 might even give us the handle to even further improve it. And I am more than willing to help and devote my spare time on it.

Take care, and I hope to see you back online soon!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5174 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.