SL Males = Hulking Brutes? Alternatives?

Jaylin Wytchwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5179 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Greetings.

Enyoying SL so far, one thing began to catch my eye: With the exception of a few Nekos and a few weirder looks, almost all males in SL look like mindless, musclebound wrestlers, preferrably blackhaired... with either a Rocker-look or a Smoking. (exaggerated, but.. you catch my drift)

Looking at my own Avatar, i saw im no exception, at least not in the shape + skin i brought. Trying to edit the shape made the skin look weird.. so... i wonder, if there is a store one can get the base for a nonwrestler- but still trained look.. think not of the hulking weight-lifter but more of the, say marathon-runner... or anything not on hight-power steroids. Oh, and still human.. im not into Furries, Nekos, Vamps.

Any Tips?

13 answers to this question

I think there are alot of options from what I have seen on some fashion blogs that are directed towards men.  I would recommend "shopping" via these blogs then gather the slurls and go look in world - always try the demos first until you have the combination of shape/skin that pleases you.  Here are some suggestions:

http://www.second-man.com/

http://www.slmen.com/

http://ffform.blogspot.com/

A hint would be finding a friend or aquantance who creates shapes, there's lots of them out there that love doing things like that for the fun of it as opposed to any reward.  You could also do a search for vampire or gothic shapes, they by character aren't overly bulky.  You could also widen your range of search by looking ot posting here:  https://blogs.secondlife.com/community/commerce/wanted

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Look around in RL and all the self image stuff ... if you could have a weightlifter's body, wouldn't you? That said, I did edit my avatar to have broad shoulders, nice pecs and abs, tight buns, etc etc. In RL, I'm a few pounds under-weight and definitely out of shape Coming to SL means I don't spend tons of money on a gym in RL to look like a hunk

Actually, no i wouldnt. I maintain a normal, trained body in RL (whatever can be done at the gym after office hours), so dont want to look like a mindless brute (like 90% of Males seem to.).. i think especially in males the variety of expression via clothes is much more limited than for a female, so id rather have the rest standing out (preferredly positive).

Thanks to the other 2 Posters, will have a look at the thread and blogs.

Jaylin.Wytchwood wrote:

Greetings.

Enyoying SL so far, one thing began to catch my eye: With the exception of a few Nekos and a few weirder looks, almost all males in SL look like mindless, musclebound wrestlers, preferrably blackhaired... with either a Rocker-look or a Smoking. (exaggerated, but.. you catch my drift)

Looking at my own Avatar, i saw im no exception, at least not in the shape + skin i brought. Trying to edit the shape made the skin look weird.. so... i wonder, if there is a store one can get the base for a nonwrestler- but still trained look.. think not of the hulking weight-lifter but more of the, say marathon-runner... or anything not on hight-power steroids. Oh, and still human.. im not into Furries, Nekos, Vamps.

Any Tips?

I suck at anything related to fashion (as Daria is going to point out if I don't get in first), but try going to some place like Redgrave where they have more 'normal' shapes and skins. Failing that just put on some sort of default Linden skin and do the shape yourself, then go skin shopping. If you're really into authenticity I have a supposed 'anatomically correct' shape made by a person working in that field I could send you just for a laugh, but it's not pretty.

Ignore the 11 foot tall 'incredible hulk' wannabes. Most folks are using SL for a very good reason, and those guys show their hand even before typing a word.

(Have a chat to Daria.. It might help. She's pretty much an encylopaedia of good stores versus crappy ones).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5179 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.