SSA messed up?

MBeatrix

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And while I was working on this Maestro unpdated the release notes:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/Deploys-for-the-week-of-2014-06-02-Updated-2014-06-04-17-08/td-p/2739120

Note his comment about the Bake Fails:

"I've posted release notes for yesterday's roll, which finished around 01:30 PDT.

Theresa, there haven't been any recent changes to the avatar baking backend.  I would recommend filing a Jira about this baking issue, with attached viewer logs from a session where baking fails."

MBeatrix wrote:

Despite not being a exactly tech, what you say makes sense to me. But if you have the time and patience to read a bit more of this thread, maybe you'll find something different.

My issues began before the RC restarts on Wednesday. Being in Europe, I login the first time in a day at a very early PDT hour. I've been in many places since then, all types of regions, seen a lot of people, before and after all the restarts (Wednesday and Thursday) and the issue persists until this very moment. From what someone else wrote above, it seems to be expanding but affecting only people in Europe.

Well last night it was not limited to Europe but when restarts are going on I don't try doing any trouble shooting.  I didn't see many friends last night....I will have to ask the only one who didn't bake for me where she is located.  I don't think I've ever asked her.

I will have to ask the only one who didn't bake for me where she is located

That is not the issue. Other people can see me properly, but I only see them and myself grey (skin and system clothes, that is — all mesh is baked properly.)

Still have`nt seen any bakefails after a few tp`s around some busy places, but hoping that now the maintenance is done that you post that everything is better.

If not I think I would use your option as a premium member to raise the issue with support.

Good luck :smileyhappy:

At this point all I can suggest is what Maestro said, file a Bug report.

If you don't know how the instruction are here:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-report-a-bug/ta-p/733545#Section_.1

If you or someone does start one I'd suggest posting the link here and in the Server Deploy's Thread I linked so Maestro can follow up on it and others can add to it as needed.

I think I would use your option as a premium member to raise the issue with support

I did, and was told to contact my ISP because it was a network issue. Didn't help at all... I think the rep didn't even read properly what I was telling him (on live chat.)

Thanks again, Sara. Goodnight. :matte-motes-asleep:

And... Can be an ISP problem (or ahead) it seems — bad DNS. Which is easily fixed using Google public DNS servers.

It is easy to rant against the Lab, but Monty Linden was just great, so I owe an apology to them all this time. Noted. And a THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Someone, somewhere changed something. So I have someone else to rant against as soon as I find out who. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Sill, quoting Monty Linden: "There are some odd cases that arise when talking to the baking service which is why I hopped on this. They haven't all been resolved. But ISP problems are still far more common and, honestly, probably becoming more common."

So, you all out there keep your ISP's on a short leash.

Oh, that's right... :matte-motes-bashful:

As it was obvious it wasn't a viewer problem (I tried 3 viewers) it didn't occur to me to check the Firestorm wiki. Also, everything had been working fine until Wednesday... But lesson learned. Actually, quite a few lessons were learned from all this.

Thanks for your support, Sara.

I have the exact same problem you has Beatrix. I didi a Bug report to Linden and they answer me and I am trying to follow their instrutions. They say ot is hapening to many ppl since a week ago from France an dPortugal from some ISP providers. Tehy are working on it now. Let's keep our hope ! :)

I have the exact same problem

Follow the instructions from this web page: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

If that doesn't solve your issue, than its origin is different than that of the problem I had. I hope it does.

And please keep in mind what Monty Linden told me: "There are some odd cases that arise when talking to the baking service which is why I hopped on this. They haven't all been resolved. But ISP problems are still far more common and, honestly, probably becoming more common."

I`ve been playing around with DNS Bench from a link provide by Rollig Loon on this page, (bottom of page)

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/Being-logged-off-second-life-right-after-I-log-in-Wont-stay/qaq-p/2532451

It`s helped me understand dns a little better and could be used as a diagnostic tool if you suspect problems with it, or your usually good connection suddenly starts having problems.

Wow, quite an useful tool, indeed. Thanks, Sara!:matte-motes-grin:

The funny part is... My ISP got the best benchmark, but they have a bad DNS table (probably they aren't updating it as often as they should.)

Yes fast is good but maybe for sl reliability is more important. I used the build table function in DNS Bench to find the best 50 dns resolvers to my location then benchmarked them. One of those listed was French and guess what? the reliability wasn`t 100% which means lost, dropped or ignored queries and significant look up delays. Probly equal to "bad dns" in sl terms. Anyways I`ll stick with my current ISP dns coz it`s fast enough and 100% reliable.... for now!!:smileyhappy:

dns.png

Ok, but those reliabilty figures can change even over a short time. A new benchmark revealed,

213.251.133.164 |  Min  |  Avg  |  Max  |Std.Dev|Reliab%|
  ----------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+
  - Cached Name   | 0.014 | 0.016 | 0.018 | 0.001 |  98.0 |
  - Uncached Name | 0.022 | 0.084 | 0.289 | 0.086 |  95.9 |
  - DotCom Lookup | 0.020 | 0.046 | 0.163 | 0.044 |  78.7 |
  ---<-------->---+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+
                   ks31884.kimsufi.com
                     OVH OVH SAS,FR

It may have been interesting to see your ISP reliability a day or so ago, but we will never know.

Have fun :smileyhappy:

Well, my ISP's DNS still has an out-of-date table... I checked earlier today. Despite I called them yesterday and told them about the issue.

So, the reliability "thing" must be based on availability and response time ups and downs. Still, that lil programme is a valuable tool.

Have fun you too. :matte-motes-smile:

[uPDATE]

Take a look at my ISP compared with Google:

213.228.128. 6 | Min | Avg | Max |Std.Dev|Reliab%|
- Cached Name | 0,020 | 0,023 | 0,031 | 0,002 | 100,0 |
- Uncached Name | 0,040 | 0,168 | 0,858 | 0,174 | 100,0 |
- DotCom Lookup | 0,064 | 0,224 | 0,873 | 0,239 | 100,0 |
ns2.netvisao.pt
AS13156 Cabovisao,SA,PT

213.228.128. 5 | Min | Avg | Max |Std.Dev|Reliab%|
- Cached Name | 0,020 | 0,023 | 0,031 | 0,002 | 100,0 |
- Uncached Name | 0,041 | 0,203 | 1,133 | 0,262 | 100,0 |
- DotCom Lookup | 0,068 | 0,274 | 0,881 | 0,286 | 100,0 |
ns.netvisao.pt
AS13156 Cabovisao,SA,PT

8. 8. 4. 4 | Min | Avg | Max |Std.Dev|Reliab%|
+ Cached Name | 0,056 | 0,065 | 0,080 | 0,007 | 100,0 |
+ Uncached Name | 0,060 | 0,187 | 0,651 | 0,170 | 100,0 |
+ DotCom Lookup | 0,064 | 0,091 | 0,215 | 0,038 | 100,0 |
google-public-dns-b.google.com
GOOGLE - Google Inc.,US

8. 8. 8. 8 | Min | Avg | Max |Std.Dev|Reliab%|
+ Cached Name | 0,061 | 0,069 | 0,159 | 0,015 | 100,0 |
+ Uncached Name | 0,064 | 0,169 | 0,611 | 0,165 | 100,0 |
+ DotCom Lookup | 0,069 | 0,084 | 0,180 | 0,024 | 100,0 |
google-public-dns-a.google.com
GOOGLE - Google Inc.,US

UTC: 2014-06-08, from 17:35:22 to 17:35:46, for 00:23,877

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.