SSA messed up?

MBeatrix

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3601 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is the Server Side Appearance service messed up in some way?

Since early this morning I only see grey people, including myself. But let me explain:

mesh clothes load fine, buildings, furniture, landscapes, etc, all load fine — at a normal rate —, but system clothes and skins show grey. Doing a texture refresh doesn't work. Used both Firestorm and Singularity, after manually clearing their cache, but the result was the same — grey people all over. The frame rate is fine and my connection is super.

Anyone else experiencing this issue? Any explanation for it?

More: I just tried the official viewer and the result was the same. The image below shows how I see people — as I mentioned above all mesh items are ok. Alpha layers are not loaded, either.

Snapshot_001.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problems here.

I'm going to refer you to the 'bake fail' page from Firestorm.

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_bake_fail

I'm also going to make another suggestion.

Even if my Internet appears to be acting fine I will always try rebooting my modem/router first, well before I would clear cache when I'm having any rezzing issues.

The reason is if something in my connection needs a kick I've now added to my problems because now I'm needing to reload everything over a bad connection.  In other words I've increased my troubles.

I think the last time I cleared cache has to be over six months ago.

Ok, but you didn`t mention if you`ve tp`d to other sims and have the same problem.

Oops, sorry, you're right, I forgot to mention that: yes, I TP'd to other sims and always the same problem, both RC sims and Main Server Channel. Also, as I wrote before, everyone using system clothes/skins looks grey.

Yes, Perrie, as I wrote, I manually cleared cache for both Firestorm and Singularity. Additionally, I reset the modem, the router, restarted my computer and tried a fresh install of the official viewer. I'm using a hardwired connection, too, so that is not the problem. But I tried a speed test, and maybe there are some network bottlenecks somewhere... Here are the results I got (my preferred server, of course):

http://softdallas.speedtest.net/
ping: 180 ms
download speed: 17.13 Mbps
upload speed: 0.99 Mbps

http://tucson.speedtest.net/
ping: 196 ms
download speed: 14.46 Mbps
upload speed: 1 Mbps

http://reston.speedtest.net/
ping: 296 ms
download speed: 9.70 Mbps
upload speed: 0.88 Mbps

Will be going back inworld next and see how it goes now.

Anyway, thank you for your suggestions.

Aaah, can be... Thanks, I'll try disabling HTTP textures, going to login again and try that. But wat is odd is that only system clothes/skins appear grey. As you can see in my picture above, textures on mesh items look fine, just like everything else.

Was a bit of a longshot, I used to have http textures disabled all the time coz it seemed to solve some connection problems over here in Europe but since LL reworked http doesn`t seem to have as much effect, on or off.

REALLY hope you solve the problem without too much hair pulling, good luck :smileyhappy:

I wonder...

From the GSP:

[Posted 3:43 PM PDT, 04 June 2014] We will be performing rolling maintenance for all regions on the main Second Life server channel and all RC channels at approximately 05:00 PM PDT tonight, 04 June 2014. Please refrain from rezzing no copy objects, making inworld L$ transactions and remember to save all builds.

http://status.secondlifegrid.net/2014/06/04/post2285/

"I never had anything like this"

Those out of the blue problems are the worst!!

I know you did speed test...try a tracert...look for packet loss...isp maintenance... new antivirus?

I`ve had random disconnects on virgin media the last 3 weeks and Mr virginmedia techman brought me a new router today.

If no one you know is seeing what you`re seeing , then has to be a connection problem somewhere.

I know you did speed test...try a tracert...look for packet loss...isp maintenance... new antivirus?

The trace shows some delays along the way. No packet loss reported by the viewer in the stats window. Will check with my ISP soon. Antivirus is always disabled when I'm logged in.

I`ve had random disconnects on virgin media the last 3 weeks and Mr virginmedia techman brought me a new router today.

As I previously wrote, I even skipped the router and connected the computer to the modem directly. But yes, I strongly suspect of network problems, just don't know on which side.

If no one you know is seeing what you`re seeing , then has to be a connection problem somewhere.

When I logged in, minutes ago, I had an IM from someone telling she's having the exact same problem. She's in Europe, too. I will try talking with her later, when she's inworld.

Despite everything you people wrote here — thank you all — I insist on this point: everything, absolutely everything but system (layered) clothes loads fine. Mesh loads fine, and its textures as well.

When I edit my shape or skin, and close the edit window without changing anything, I am back to normal, with all system clothes properly rezzed (once in a while I have to repeat the process a few times.) But, obviously, that works for me only, all other people look grey except for their attachments.

Just talked with my ISP's support and they didn't detect any problem on their side, nor on my side.

[uPDATE]

I did some more tests, but this time within my country (as always, these are average values.)

http://www.fccn.pt/
ping: 25 ms
download: 27.66 Mbps
upload: 0.94 Mbps

So, I guess the problem is ahead of my ISP, somewhere along the way between Portugal and LL.

I did a speed test comparison between a server local to me (UK) and Fort Worth Texas the up and down speeds were more or less the same, the ping was obviously higher but not extreme.

That unscheduled maintenance you pointed to does look a bit significant though!

Maybe the bake servers decided to be horrible to av`s begining with the letter M. Fingers crossed.

Yes, Sara, and I'm not 100% sure it is a network issue. The truth is that I've been experiencing inventory issues since Christmas, when LL started doing unscheduled inventory maintenances one after the other until a bit past New Year's celebrations. Some days OK, some others quite bad... Outfits not changing or having two of them on after a re-log, items failing to rez or not being taken back to inventory, you name it...

What is going on seems to have the hallmark of a network problem, and LL restarting the whole grid may be related to this issue or not. I guess we'll never know. One thing I do know, though: if this persists for a whole month, I'll abandon my parcel (or sell it) and I will cancel my premium account — SL is not fun like it is for me right now.

hi there.  Thank you for answering in my Post, allow me the same courtesy. Im also in Portugal, and im having exactly the same issues.  And just moments ago, a friend of mine, who is in france , started telling me she is seeing people all grey all of a suddent also. This problem might extend outside this country soon.  Lets hope LL fixes it, as it seems its begining to happen more

Some additional info: earlier I went out flying in my helicopter and had no issues at all, except my grey face (the body was covered by a mesh suit.) Sim crossings went quite smoothly.

I wonder if this baking issue will be expanding to all mainland Europe... Anyway, thanks for that info. :matte-motes-smile:

Today, Thursday, we have a bit more information. The RC channels were rolled in the morning. But, in the afternnon the entire grid was rolled (back? we do  not  know details).

You may have just been bitten by an SL problem.

I was finding that there were some avatars that were not rendering for me yesterday. So, it may have been a matter of when their viewer sent data for the Server Side Bake and did or didn't get a good bake.

Nalates Urriah wrote:

Today, Thursday, we have a bit more information. The RC channels were rolled in the morning. But, in the afternnon the entire grid was rolled (back? we do  not  know details).

You may have just been bitten by an SL problem.

I was finding that there were some avatars that were not rendering for me yesterday. So, it may have been a matter of when their viewer sent data for the Server Side Bake and did or didn't get a good bake.

I think new code was employed.  And this was a security fix unless I am not understanding what I am reading.

Just checked the current Server Version in use:

"you are at 30.6, 80.9, 21.4 in Welsh located at sim10697.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.53.59:13003)

SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Welsh/31/81/21

(global coordinates 257,055.0, 256,337.0, 21.4)

Second Life Server 14.06.04.290645"

Checking release notes we read:

"

• Deployed 2014-06-04 for Second Life Server, Second Life RC BlueSteel, Second Life RC LeTigre, and Second Life RC Magnum
  • Bug Fixes
    • Preventative fix for gnutls security vulnerability CVE-2014-3466
    • Our unscheduled update was a preventative measure to fix this vulnerability before exploit tools could be developed and circulated. General abuse of the vulnerability is not yet known to exist on the Internet, but we wanted to proactively protect Second Life users against the potential threat."

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/14#14.05.09.289913

Info on CVE-2014-3466

I'm not sure if or how this could be related to Bake Fail issue.  I saw them last night myself.

Despite not being a exactly tech, what you say makes sense to me. But if you have the time and patience to read a bit more of this thread, maybe you'll find something different.

My issues began before the RC restarts on Wednesday. Being in Europe, I login the first time in a day at a very early PDT hour. I've been in many places since then, all types of regions, seen a lot of people, before and after all the restarts (Wednesday and Thursday) and the issue persists until this very moment. From what someone else wrote above, it seems to be expanding but affecting only people in Europe.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3601 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.