Gamepad Joystick XBox Controlers??????

LinXoa Yue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

This question has probably been asked a million times but I cant seem to find any answers. Simple movement is controled by so many keys in SL, I am thinking an easier was must exist!

Are any 'Game' controlers, i.e. Xbox , PS(1/2/3), Gamepads, or Joysticks, Compatable for movement control and use in SL? I use a XBox Controlers for most windows games and this would be an outstanding alternative to movement in the SL Client.

Help I need answers! And I need to know why not if they are not compatable!

4 answers to this question

The recommended (recommended by LL that is) brand of joystick/controller is one named the SpaceNavigator, which is more of a six axis mouse than a joystick, you can find information about it at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SpaceNavigator

it is used by enabling the joystick configuration that you will find under preferences in the SL viewer, and you can also use the xbox 360 controller too, and it may very well give you better results.  It's not as easy to set up however, because there are not default setting built into the viewer for it, as there are for the SpaceNavigator.  I think this is because LL sells the SpaceNavigator on their site, so they want folks to adopt it.  There should be settings that can be used with the Xbox 360 controller in the photo in the wiki below...information about doing this is found here...

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Flycam

and here is a video tutorial for using the xbox 360 controller with second life

the various joysticks and controllers can be used to control your avatar and your cam, that i know of...the really neat thing I saw about using the xbox 360 controller is that if you have a headset that works with that controller, you can just jack it in...and use as your voice headset in sl too!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.