Market Place In world Link (SLurl:) on products

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3607 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

Dont know where else to make this post other then here. (feel free to move it to its right location)

Its a idea to make the Land mark link (SLurl) you set on your product when you set it up on the market place.

Over time some business gets more and more products on the MP. Its also commen that business moves from time to time for some reason or a other. Now here is the big problem doing so, moving to a other place.

You will need to change all your SLurl LM links in your products and there is , as i see it, only one way and that is on each single product you have on the MP. Okay, but if you have 2-3-500+ items on the MP, then what?

My idea is, could you make it a default link that all SLurl refers too. So by changing that, all your products will tune into the link set you have there and we only have to change 1 place for all our products.

Of course some might still want dif. in world links, so maybe have a default check box if you want it as default link. if not checked, you can set in a other you want it to use etc..

Could also have 2 or 3 defaults, and its always standard set to default 1. option to change to a other default on each product etc..

After 8 years, i whould though this had been added, or iam just not seing it as a option. I cant be the only buisness in SL that has this as a major pain if you move.

If the option is there, then iam sorry for this tread and if any could point me to where i can do this.

/Simbaz

It's a somewhat valid discussion to have - in fact another user here, Toysoldier Thor, suggested almost this exact idea not long ago. It got a lot of support from the userbase (I didn't pay enough attention to see if LL noticed). Take a look at the threads for comparison. :)

Ty for the respons.

I been reading them and as i see it, Lindens DONT get involded at any point. so this is just waste of time as i see it.

The posts are even 2 years old. Linden got to rich and dont care about us anymore :smileyvery-happy:

oh well, just have to stop using the SLurl. its way to much work changing and make a standard commen in product to get to in world shop, use the PICK in my profil to get there.

/Simbaz

Marketplace hasn't been operating for 8 years.

One of the problems here is determining which of my products that is rezzed at one of several locations should be the MP slurl. If I have to manually set it then I've achieved nothing. If I move and rez another, how is this different from rezzing another vendor at a satellite store? I certainly don't want MP to update and auto point to minor locations, thus I'm manually seeing it again.

To answer the main question though, you should create a JIRA feature request at https://jira.secondlife.com

Second answer, hundreds of products shouldn't be that big a problem. I find most stores group items so you only need a slurl to the general area.

MP needs a whole bunch of low hanging fruit problems to be picked and I agree that better management of slurls is needed.

Sassy Romano wrote:

To answer the main question though, you should create a JIRA feature request at

Second answer, hundreds of products shouldn't be that big a problem. I find most stores group items so you only need a slurl to the general area.

Thanks Sassy, I'm not familiar with this part of Ebbe's new plan - I rarely use JIRA except to track issues.

I linked the OP to the threads so that they could co-ordinate their idea with Toysoldier's, perhaps adding to any official feature request he created - grouping together generally leads to higher rates of success with the service provider. :)

with my idea, you can still set your stuff manual if you need too.

Over all it most be better to have a default slurl set for you, then nothing when you want to set up a new product.

You will need to change it anyway, the way your doing it as i see.

For MP and 8 years, well not under lindens, but it was privat owned before linden toke it over. But not the issue here. 8-7-6 years.. there about. I see this as a very commen need to setting up products and why iam suprised this is not yet a option.

Not sure why you link to a BUG tracker that has really nothing to do with this post, as its not a bug but lac of contents.

Thank you for your 5cent anyway and with your 3000+ posts. You live in here? :smileytongue:

Sassy's post has more value than you seem to ascribe. She's an excellent provider of help to this forum.

The JIRA link was appropriate as it's the only place to suggest features for Second Life where LL will listen. As you noted, they do not post to this forum (except in some rare or scheduled circumstances).

Snark against the service operator is expected, stick to the easy targets in your feature requests and you'll go far.

Simone Barsov wrote:

Not sure why you link to a BUG tracker that has really nothing to do with this post, as its not a bug but lac of contents.

When you go into the JIRA and click on "Create new issue", you pull down the BUG and here's what you find:-

newfeature.png

That's why you enter it there, it will be triaged (and then ignored anyway) but that's where you enter it.

Here's the problem though.  Because nothing inworld has any object/database relationship to the Marketplace listings, there's not really any automatic way to know that object x at location x.y.z is "Furry dice" on Marketplace.  Deleting it and creating another either on the same region or a new region will cause a new object UUID to be created which means that any prior relationship that might have been manually created, cannot be carried over.

It's not like the days where we had  a magic box and the location of the magic box was known.  This is where it will become too cumbersome to administer I suspect.  You don't want to manually initialise the location in a shop of all objects as it is but this is what it requires.

The only possible correlation might be to say "in this region, anything with the prim object name that matches marketplace listing object item name, use the inworld object location as part of the slurl" but then you also have to ensure that all object names remain consistent.

The other slight problem that might exist then is orientation.  What if your vendors are against a wall?  Where would you land the visitor?  The actual object location would have them in the wall and if it's a skybox shop, could easily have them falling outside and to the ground.  Offset it in a direction?  Fine, which direction? 

I would like to see far better grouping of my own items into categories of MY choice for my store such that I could then apply templates, including a SLURL to that defined group.

They still need to finish direct delivery first though, that's 2 years late now and allow searches on attributes that are entered into the database but not exposed to the customer, like "mesh" for example.

As I said, I do agree that we need better, more functional, richer management tools but this one has challenges due to the implementation of MP.

3000+ posts?  I've been here 2306 days so that's a mere 1.3 posts per day.  I am but a mere lurker by comparison to many.

Normally you just make a SLurl to your shop and done with.

Making a SLurl to where the product actually is in your shop is maybe going over the top. When they first are in your shop, it shouldnt be hard for them to find the product they looking for.

There is no system that can cover that need and you will always need to do that manual, becouse no system knows where you set your new product till you did it your self.

I actaully in my 8 years here never seen any making a LM to the product it self. Its of course very nice, but your in for ALOT of work having that setup. Each time you move around in your shop or MOVE, you actually need to redo the SLurl for them as well.
Maybe a terminal server system and a script inside product could read the position of it, but then again you will over lag your place with scripts in all your products and the server will need to check there position on some shecduler time base. 

My comment on your 3000+ was more a joke and sorry if it was offending you. My bad

Your post didn't offend me, nothing really does, it's just the internet after all.

As far as slurls though, I DO have slurls to my products, not just the shop. This was my point though. I can place people near to the right place in the shop with maybe 8 locations and I'm not saying that better tools aren't required, they are.

Enter the JIRA with details, see what comes of it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3607 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.