How do I get a flag to wave in the wind

robdester Redangel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

If you want help with LSL scripting, you may have better results posting in the LSL Scripting forum. Not many scripters look here as well. As you're about to find out, it's very difficult to reply or 'talk' on the Answers section.

For my flags, I link the flexi 'flag' to the 'flagpole', and I rotate the flagpole along its vertical axis back and forth (clockwise ~45°, back to 0, anti-clockwise 45°, back to 0, repeat). This is a fairly cheap and light-lag method of quickly computing the changing angles without having to mess with simulator wind.

Note that I only provide advice and suggestions, rarely actual code.

Making it flexi is the first step as you know.  The problem is that the SL wind doesn't always blow very hard.  So you may see your flexi flag bend and move a little but it won't look much like a flag waving in the wind.  Most flags you see that are waving have a script to control wind speed and direction.  

So if you are interested in learning to script, I recommend  "Scripting Your World"

Or search the Marketplace for a script you can use  (try searching for "wind speed" or even "flag waving"

--Cinn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.