roll over pop up windows that cover chat window

Koni Lanzius

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5175 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Is there a way to fix this problem in Second Life?

I have a picture of it but im not allowed to upload here

its a small white background window that comes up when you mouse over the local chat window (and other active buttons)

it drives me crazy because it obstructs your view of the window until you close it or it fades away

13 answers to this question

To hide the UI tooltips you have to jump into the debug settings.  Ctrl-Alt-D (add Shift on some systems esp. Linux desktops) to reveal the Advanced menu, then Advanced->Debug Settings.  In there, you can change ToolTipDelay to some large number. There isn't a setting to totally shut them off, but if you set it to a long enough time it's close enough.  This also hides the little helpers in the script editor, so if you use feqtures like that you might want not to make the delay too long.

I believe you can still edit the xml file where the tooltip text is defined and delete the text between the quotes.

This will let you remove the popup text that you don't want while still leaving the scripting editor's hovertips functional.

I can't check now but I think the file or files that need to be edited would be in the Second Life program folder in a skins subfolder.

Very similar Question here "Press Enter to say, Cntr-Enter to shout." How can I turn this off ? with links to pJIRA issues where you can add your comments and votes.

pJIRA is a tool for residents to file new feature requests as well as bug reports (The "P" stands for Public.) An overview and common questions about pJIRA can be found in the Creating bug reports and feature requests in the Public Issue Tracker

How do I log in to the Tracker?

• Visit https://jira.secondlife.com and click the 'Log In' link on the top right of the page
  • On the login page, enter your Second Life username (Firstname Lastname) and password

Koni.Lanzius wrote:

Would the instructions to rid myself of the mouse-over pop-up be the same if I'm on a Mac OS X 10.5?

ToolTipDelay is cross platform and quick and relatively painless.

Skinning modifications are also cross platform, the only difference is the path to the XML files. You do have to reapply your custom changes with every viewer update or different viewer you try, so it can get old really fast. (Unlike some other config files that go mostly untouched for years, the XUI stuff tends to get incompatible changes among different releases (UI elements come and go and get moved and so on), so it's mostly going to be a manual process )

Anyway, to get to the skin folders on Mac viewer versions, right-click on the Second Life app icon from a Finder window, and Show Package Contents. Go into the Contents folder, then Resources, and you'll find the skins folder in there. After that the paths are the same.

Hello Koni, please see these SL Wiki articles Submitting code and Snowglobe Development Process

..piece of source code (be it a fix, new feature, or optimization ofexisting code) submit the patches in a way that makes it easy for theLindens to incorporate them into the source code.

Re this issue, please see the Snowglobe Project A tool_tip is obscuring our view when typing into the Chat Bar. Fix Version is scheduled for Snowglobe 1.4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5175 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.