Meshing clothing for proper waist fit?

Ssmiles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3592 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello.

I am using Blender 2.7 for creating skirt meshes.  I have the standard shape avatars installed into blender which I am using to fit my mesh properly,  I am also wearing the same standard avatar shape in SL in order to test the fit.  

The skirt fits great in Blender around the standard shape waist (in this case I am using Large) before and after I rig it to the avatar bones.  However, once I upload it to SL and wear it (again, I am using the Large Shape in SL), I get all of these weird gaps around the waist area, especially when my avatar changes poses.  I have tried to adjust the shape, lowering the waist, raising the waist, using different alpha layers but nothing helps.  

FYI:  I rigged the mesh in Blender and make sure I import it to .dea rigged as well.  For the most part it moves nicely with the avatar but I cannot seem to get it to move with the waist properly or get it to fit around it properly.    

Any advice would be appreciated.  

5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

It looks to me as if the rigging was not done correctly. You say that the "skirt fits great in Blender" but what happens in Blender if you put the avatar there in similar poses as in SL? Does the same problem show in the skirt then in Blender too? If it does, then you need to adjust the weighting in Blender so that the skirt behaves well.

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately I don't have these poses in Blender and don't know how to import them to Blender.  However, when I move the bones around in Blender with the skirt rigged to them, the skirt stays in tact and moves fairly well.  

Also, I have no idea how to adjust the wieghting.  Not a clue.  I figured using the same, standard large shape both in Blender and in SL would help with getting it adjusted correctly.  I'm guessing though that the shape doesn't have much (if anything) to do with weighting.  

Ssmiles wrote:

Also, I have no idea how to adjust the wieghting.  Not a clue.

To have any success with this and other items, you're going to have to learn.  You cannot achieve success by just using automatic weights during parenting to the rig and leaving it at that.

Thanks Sassy but I do not want to purchase Avastar at this time.  IF I make a few bucks meshing things, then I may (I of course have to learn more first) so until that happens, if it happens, I don't want to spend the money if I can do it for free.  At least not at this point.  I did however find a good Blender tutorial about adjusting weights for SL clothing on Youtube so I think I will stick with that method for now and see how it works out.  

Thanks for your help though, it's much appreciated.  

Ssmiles wrote:

I did however find a good Blender tutorial about adjusting weights for SL clothing on Youtube so I think I will stick with that method for now and see how it works out.  

Would you mind to tell which tutorial you found ? I am sure this is of interest for many others as well.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3592 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.