where are the money trees located?

Koteemae

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

11 answers to this question

There aren't many of them left in SL.  Money trees, like camping chairs, were popular until about 6 years ago and have slowly vanished since then.  If you type "Money Tree" into search, you'll get a lot of hits, but I suspect most of them lead to places that used to have money trees years ago and just haven't changed their description in a long time.

• Like 1

Money Trees were already nearly completely vanished from Second Life when I joined more than 3 years ago. Handing out money for nothing seem to have lost its appeal fast and over the years even camping chairs vanished completely. Both methods had their peaks, when SL had a rather popular phase and when traffic was more important for a region than it is today.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/3/2014 at 5:08 AM, Syo Emerald said:

Money Trees were already nearly completely vanished from Second Life when I joined more than 3 years ago. Handing out money for nothing seem to have lost its appeal fast and over the years even camping chairs vanished completely. Both methods had their peaks, when SL had a rather popular phase and when traffic was more important for a region than it is today.

I am very interested in that phrase: "... when SL had a rather popular phase and when trafic was more important for a region than it is today".

Now, 5 years after that quotation, I question which measure is more important for SL and residents today.

As I understood, time ago traffic was a measure comparable with web pages traffic, giving an idea about popularity of a sim, service, commerce or spot, even the use and enjoyment in time of personal houses in the task of build a Second Life living as if real, having a family, connecting almost daily, working, etc.

Time ago, another important measures were the demographics data. But now, nobody can tell with certainty how SL is realy growing and developing in population making difference between kinds of avatars (mesh, basic, bots, alts, furies, human appeal, mixtures, clans), residents and enlight about motives and uses that real people give to SL. Have alts, for example or bots don't have real reason to be seen as a trouble related only to unfair play but in especial circumstances; but now, even the SL rules and politics, and some perceptions of residents have distorted ways and objectives of why stay inside SL, play inside SL, live or even camping to get lindens in SL. That information is a shadow that blind even the efforts of virtual merchants affecting the virtual economy of SL and, I suspect, even the real one and that could explain in part the new changes because SLB16.

I think -and this is a constructive criticism- that meanwhile Linden Lab don't review and redefine all the concepts associated with this ones, SL (including Sansar) would become stocked and residents, new and old, would feel disappointed and migrate to other platforms even non profitable. Sometimes I feel some sutil tension among two extreme points of view from users, those who see SL just as a game against those who, like me, see it with more big and vast possibilities for self personal and group development with all its implications. I remember the time when SL even was an important platform to important firms (banks, fashion designers, transnational enterprises, politics, governments, cultural asociations, universities, etc) hoping use, for example, traffic measure to justify their research, communication and branding efforts.

I love SL and I don't plan lef it until I die, but, this topic is a big concern of mine. As tiny beginner landlord and merchant and creator in one hand I enjoy being around but right now I am not quite sure if traffic is really important information to attract people as tenants, customers or whatever. I think too that this lack of definition and lack of actualization incide on lag made over sims, because visitors and sim owners continue thinking the way before.

12 hours ago, Beggar Mayo said:

I question which measure is more important for SL and residents today.

It is and it's not. Think about it: the idea of traffic is to indicate where the people are. People look for high-traffic locations because they want to be around other people. Though the perseverance of bots and AFK-campers everywhere (I personally suspect at least 30% of concurrency if not much more) - traffic count has become a joke with regard to actually finding other people to interact with.

As for merchants: It would be very, very wise to use Market Place and offer demos. And be smart about keywords and add detailed descriptions (try to answer all possible questions).

• Thanks 1

A lot of the money trees were the ones by Wolfhaven Productions. They still work, but the support is gone. There used to be a central list of all the trees in the world, but as far as I can see, that's gone. I see there's a note left at the main store by someone that the breedables by the company died this year (2019). There are no signs of new products or updates on anything for a long time.

So it's not as simple as the concept of money trees being dead. If someone did a new version with a shiny website, you'd see them pop up in newbie areas again. But the old version is over because the creator stopped doing anything for them.

20 minutes ago, Polenth Yue said:

A lot of the money trees were the ones by Wolfhaven Productions. They still work, but the support is gone. There used to be a central list of all the trees in the world, but as far as I can see, that's gone. I see there's a note left at the main store by someone that the breedables by the company died this year (2019). There are no signs of new products or updates on anything for a long time.

So it's not as simple as the concept of money trees being dead. If someone did a new version with a shiny website, you'd see them pop up in newbie areas again. But the old version is over because the creator stopped doing anything for them.

I doubt the concept will re-emerge. Camping pretty much died out too. Right now I only know of 1 still active ...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.