What do you do to keep your PC running great?

Faubio Alter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5182 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Myself, I do temporary file folder (junk files) cleaning daily and do daily defragmentations. Every three days or so I clean out the browser. Weekly I do a check disk, disk check of my hard drive  Daily I do a quick scan for viruses and weekly a full scan for viruses and malware. I use McAfee site advisor to keep malware off my PC.  I am a heavy user (10+ hours per day) of the Net and SL.

This link is helpful for Windows OSs:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/optimize.aspx#1

Ansariel.Hiller wrote:

Try turning off virtual memory completely. You will see what happens - or not! You're education initiatives are really funny.

i did that on my system and i only have 2 GB of ram.  it limits a little how much stuff i can run but i never really need or want to run enough stuff to need a pagefile, i prefer the performance of what is running being better, than having more stuff running. and even with no pagefile i can still have four concurrent logins if i want to.

Always make sure you have a decent and up-to-date antivirus running (I use Trend Micro). DON'T go for those awful commercials on the TV where grinning idiots tell you their Windows is working wonderfully after using the advertised software, they are a rip-off. (In fact, if you look closely, most of them are sitting in front of MACs. LOL.)

Ansariel.Hiller wrote:

Ain't you supposed to have a Linux system?

i just have a system.   several flavors of Linux multibootable alongside my XP.  mandriva 2010, openSuSE 11.2, Chakra, and a testbed partition that i just toss anything on to play with as the mood strikes.  and each Linux runs XP in a VirtualBox while i am in Linux.  where amusingly enough it usually runs better than it does when i boot to it natively.

i'm thinking of giving OpenSolaris a try.

All this Windows Experience score or indexing helps to keep computer running great longer.........right?

Aside from putting faster RAM in my machine (which I ain't gonna do) is there a way for me get my score up to perfect?  I mean every other component area is 5.9 (as hight a score as I can get with this Vista machine) except that one 5.4 score..........if I can get that up my computer will keep running great for longer.  Is that how that scoring system helps me?

I understand computer performance just fine.  I also know exactly what the Windows Experience thing is about.........and what it was designed for.  It was not put there to measure how good your system is or how powerful you system is......it offers no insight into what anyone needs or might want to do to improve that score.  It is to give some broad prediction about how well your system will run an equally broad range of computer software..........sort of like a numbering system to use in place of a "do I meet the minium system requirements" to run a software package.  MS dumbing down a way to let the average Joe User know if he can run that software he's got his eye at Best Buy.

So, tell me again how these scores make (and keep) my computer running great, longer.  It's your thread...........so take it any direction you want.  If it's about Windows Experience Scores then I've offered all I can to help you out.

Answer is >>>>>>>>>>>  It was not put there to measure how good your system is or how powerful you system is. Yep!

Sure it does, your RAM is weak isn't it? So you get new RAM or live with it. Simples.

That software they speak about on the performance information and tools window is the questionable part. Software can only go so far then you have too up grade hardware. (Note: No matter how good your PC if your connection is bad then you'll have a fair to poor performing PC, period.)

You might want to look at those scores next time you go PC shopping.

Naaaaw............think I will take a look at the performance stats for the different hardware devices I want in my next computer.  Those Windows Experience Scores will take care of themselves.  I knew ahead of time my RAM was not the fastest available for DDR2 ram........my speed is 333mhz (sort of near the bottom).  But I also knew it was good enough for my anticipated needs.....beats the hell out of any PC3200 chips anyway.

Performance of any system depends on the installed devices.........not a score.  Microsoft was hoping the software people would pick up on those scores to list in their minimum requirement specs.  Some have, most have not.  So now those scores are mostly useless..........except for folks like you who like bragging on their score.  It's cool............no problems with that.  Just don't try to tell me that they help in maintaining my system's ability to keep running grreat.  My experience score has remained were it is since I installed my old nVidia 8600GT card the day I purchased this machine (my video card is now upgraded to a 9800GTX+).  Beyond that initial test that score hasn't helped me one bit.  I got a near perfect score........and I have $4.69.  Going to go to Starbucks with that bit of information........wooo wooo, that score sure gets me a great deal, doncha know. 

Hoi,

No the raid does not give my high score in the win index.

It's a wrong interpretation of the index because everything is running in the high speed memory.

I discovered that when I was editing a movie and wanted to shut it down quick and lost all my work because it was still in memory.

The raid is just there officially as direct backup.

i've never understood the hype over Mac's its getting on 10years since i last ventured near a Mac wasn't a pleasant experience. theres not much i do to keep my xp system running ok regular anti-virus scans the one i use does automatic idle time full system scans and quick scans so i don't have to bother tell it to, daily disk clean to free up some space, weekly spyware clean & Malware clean (malwarebytes anti-malware is good) and occasional disk defrag and back-up to external hdd and/or deletion of un-needed files

always do a virus scan on new downloads i've seen some recommendations of comodo all it did was infect my machine witth viruses

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5182 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.