Google Banner ads

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3590 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Some Web Pages are set to make adds on a browsers history, if you visit SL a lot you will find your google adds are going to be SL adds for the most part.

Every add no matter where I go is  SL, my bank, all my bills I pay online via a website . 

You can set your site and adds to do this , it helps get people (so they think) to be more attracted to clicking the add as it has to do with your browsing history.

I have noticed 99% of the site I go to are setting their adds to this, I have a add sense account and many sites I use for add money. I never set my pages this way as i know in their it sounds good but as a user it not fooling me.

I set mine to the content the page is about and find very good luck with it unless it is SL related ten I set it to pull from the uers history.

/me disables adblocker and checks:

It appears that there are no ads on the Forums and on the Marketplace. Which is great. :smileyhappy:

However, I can still see the ads on the Dashboard and on my.secondlife.com

/me turns adblocker back on. :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Coby Foden wrote:

I fully expect they'll stay on my.secondlife.com - monetising profiles and search is a clear goal.

My only point of contention is that ads are still served on id.secondlife.com - the Web Login pages. Serving content from mixed providers on these pages is unwise (esp. non-secure content), and I continue to not trust LL's web dev team to keep this clear.

Not a bad start, but this doesn't improve security or privacy, just exposure.

Coby Foden wrote:

/me disables adblocker and checks:

It appears that there are no ads on the Forums and on the Marketplace. Which is great. :smileyhappy:

/me turns adblocker back on. :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Websites can monitor what I think Google calls 'channels'. They can set different pages to different channels, so it may be that LL has found that the marketplace and forum ads are producing many click-throughs, so they've taken the ads off. Since the ads are still on other areas, that's my guess.

Same on my desktop but adblock doesn't work well on a mobile device where the device is not rooted and is using cellular data and not WiFi.

I'm glad they removed then for another reason. There were some sites that were trying to inject side loaded apks onto android platform and anyone who permitted untrusted apps would have had these sent to their device, courtesy of having been delivered a malicious advert from the SL forums.

My sec JIRA had some attention around this but if the ads stay off then it becomes moot.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3590 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.