HOW AND WHERE I CAN USE SKYBOX?

LadiesHunter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

12 answers to this question

Hi Hunter,

If you own a Linden Home you may not place a skybox above it. If you really like the skybox, and the idea of living in the sky, you'll have to purchase or rent a plot of land with a covenant that allows skyboxes. As a premium member, you get your first 512m2 free, either with a Linden home or without. Either way you'll have only 117 prims to work with, so make sure your skybox doesn't eat them all up, or obtain either sufficent land (117prims per 512m2) or rental space to accomodate the skybox and any furniture/decorations/working space you think you'll need.

Mainland can be rather cluttered with skyboxes, so you may have to hunt around to find a chunk of sky that gives you a clear view. You can derender other objects that block your view, or you could set your draw distance low to avoid seeing your neighbors.

Good luck!

• Like 1

A skybox is just a house that you put in the sky.  Otherwise, there is nothing special about it.  Well, OK, it doesn't have ground under it or Linden water, so you have to do tricky things to landscape a skybox.  Except for that, though, you treat a skybox like any other house.  You need a parcel to put it on, just like a normal house.  Then you rez it on the ground, sit down somewhere inside it, set its altitude to some conveniently large number  (less than 4000m), and be amazed as it pops into the sky at your chosen altitude.

Like "normal" houses, skyboxes come in all different styles.  I suggest shopping around quite a bit before you decide on one you like.  Reputable builders have demo houses you can visit before you buy, so spend a few days exploring.  I do not recommend buying a house of any kind without seeing it (not a picture of it in MP).  Be sure that your parcel is big enough to contain it and that you have a large enough prim allowance to rez the house and still have plenty of prims left over to decorate it.

• Like 2

You don't need a house and a skybox.

In fact, if you have a free Linden Home, you may not put a skybox over it, according to the covenant for Linden Homes.

What you DO need is a skybox and LAND.  If you abandon your Linden Home, you can purchase 512 sq m. of land anywhere else on the Mainland.  You have to pay the initial purchase price, but you will not be charged a monthly tier fee.

If you buy a larger parcel, you get more space and prims, but you will also pay a monthly tier fee.

Be sure that the land you buy has a Maturity rating compatible with your plans.  You cannot have virtual sex in a General region.  You cannot have public sex or a sex-related commercial business in a General or Moderate region.

Be sure that the land you buy is large enough that your skybox will fit on it, and that it has enough prims for the skybox and anything else you want to have there.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, tamara Spargel said:

i am also wanting to know the answer to this. I am looking at buying a piece of land and i click on the covenant tab and it says no covenant provided, does this mean i cant put a skybox above it?

Probably.  The way to be sure is to ask the owner.  Even if you can, try putting you skybox lower than about 300m (preferably higher) so that it doesn't add to sky clutter for people on the ground and so it doesn't cast an ugly shadow. Being higher will also increase your frame rate and reduce lag, although if you rez too high you may start to get odd issues with prim creep (things moving slightly).

No, it doesn't.  Mainland does not have a covenant.  You may certainly put a skybox up over any Mainland you own.

Private estates typically do have a covenant, although a few do not.  If you are looking at estate land, you should always read the covenant.  Many estates permit skyboxes, but have a minimum height restriction.  You should position your skybox above 1000m in any case; lag is much less above 1000m, because textures on the ground are not rendered above this height.

The only caution I have regarding skyboxes is to be sure to put it above YOUR land, and insure it doesn't poke over into a neighbor's parcel.  You can do this by rezzing a big flat prim the size of your parcel (or, if the parcel is too large or odd-shaped, corner markers) and re-positioning these guide prims at the height where you want your skybox.  You can accurately re-position them by changing just the Z (height) position number in the Edit window.

So from what I understand, in order for someone to have a sky box, we need to either purchase or rent a block of land whose covenant allows a person to build a sky box above it. Once the land is purchased, we can just purchase a sky box, and fly directly above how land up to the meter height that the covenant allows to rez the skybox and that's it?

I am assuming the size of the land one purchases determines the size of the skybox land we can create?

Let me know if I m misunderstanding this?

Edited by CerberusBindweed1

30 minutes ago, CerberusBindweed1 said:

So from what I understand, in order for someone to have a sky box, we need to either purchase or rent a block of land whose covenant allows a person to build a sky box above it. Once the land is purchased, we can just purchase a sky box, and fly directly above how land up to the meter height that the covenant allows to rez the skybox and that's it?

I am assuming the size of the land one purchases determines the size of the skybox land we can create?

Let me know if I m misunderstanding this?

You are correct.  The LI or prims of the build would also be taken into account.  Each parcel has a set limit of prims allowed.  This is normally determined by parcel size.  The prim limit will often be more important than the actual size of the building.  There are a lot of smaller builds with very high prim counts.

1/128 Region512 sqm175 prims

1/64 Region1,024 sqm351 prims

1/32 Region2,048 sqm703 prims

1/16 Region4,096 sqm1,406 prims

1/8 Region8,192 sqm2,812 prims

Edited by Rowan Amore

You'll find it very difficult to rez a skybox at a specific height above the land unless you know what you're doing.  One of the big risks is that you won't get it perfectly centered on your parcel.  If it overlaps onto your neighbor's parcel, he can return it and you'll have to start all over again.  The smart way to work is to rez it on the ground at the center of the parcel and then lift it into place at the final height.  Or, to rez a temporary platform on the ground and centered, and then lift it to your working height.  Then rez the skybox, centered on the temporary platform, and remove the platform.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

You are correct.  The LI or prims of the build would also be taken into account.  Each parcel has a set limit of prims allowed.  This is normally determined by parcel size.  The prim limit will often be more important than the actual size of the building.  There are a lot of smaller builds with very high prim counts.

1/128 Region512 sqm175 prims

1/64 Region1,024 sqm351 prims

1/32 Region2,048 sqm703 prims

1/16 Region4,096 sqm1,406 prims

1/8 Region8,192 sqm2,812 prims

Would just like to add to this that technically, Belisseria covenant allows skyboxes at 2000m or higher, but I would recommend following Rolig’s suggestion of editing a prim to the size of your platform and moving it up. 

You can move it up easily by editing the prim, selecting the Z axis in the position portion of the build window, and type in the correct numbers for Z. In addition, in some viewers you can utilize shortcuts to tp up (assuming routing isn’t on) by typing “gth 2000” (minus the “) in local chat. No need to fly, then! 

2 minutes ago, norajulian said:

No need to fly, then! 

Heh.... I just rez a prim, sit on it, and raise both of us to the desired height. You just need to remember to hit the HOME button to start flying as soon as you stand up or you will be plummeting back toward the ground, leaving your prim behind.   😁

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.