lag and discomfort ; help

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3590 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

second life is so slow and laggy that I have lost interest in it, but I find myself always wanting to give it another try. whenever I do though I am always so frustrated and disappointed. I love the gaming world, but I have no idea about computers. I need help figuring out if what I need to improve is my laptop, if I should switch to a desktop, and if my internet connection has anything to do with it- I use a wireless connection.

I am not sure what information you'd need on my current laptop to help me, but i did some research and to start off I will give you this.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name WIN7-PC-PC
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B940 @ 2.00GHz, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.37, 1/16/2013
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.70 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.17 GB
Total Virtual Memory 5.40 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.50 GB

I use wifi a lot when I travel, and the first thing I check when I log in using a new router is the packet loss that I am experienceing in SL.  From the main window, the help>about pull down generates a report, and the last line of the report has packet loss.  Anything over 1% starts causing me noticable lag, while somewhere around 4 or 5 % becomes unplayable for me  And it does happen that a server that has 1% packet loss in the afternood, ends up with 10% in the early eveining when there are lots of users on the system.

My home ISP provides a wifi router as part of the package, and while everything else about the server works fine, it has a *terrible* wifi signal;  we plug or own router in to the ISP with a wire, and have a signal that works great for SL.  >10% packet loss with the one device <~ 0.1% with the other.  

So, wifi *can* work just fine.  But a lot depends on your particular router.  

Good luck

EDITED to reference the OP. [face in palms]

Mariah,

If this is your Laptop - http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookreview/hp-pavilion-g6-review/

then you are unfortunately saddled with a poor embedded graphics subsystem - The Intel HD 3000

The Intel HD 3000 is a bottom third of the pack Class 4 device. What this means is that SL is taxing your graphics system even on the lowest settings. At best SL will work at the lowest graphics level in the Linden Lab SL and Firestorm viewers. Being plugged into a wired network will hep a bit but the 3D experience will not be satisfactory. The graph below shows the performance gap.

Capture - HD 3000.PNG

If you can find a way to hand this laptop down and get a higher performing unit for yourself, you'll be much happier.

Well again another example of Linden Lab not listening these specs are so much better than what we had to use 8 years ago its not even funny but they do not seem to be able to create a system that function with this type of system do you ever wonder why they can never ever increase concurrence

almost shameful

or just plain stupid

Coventina Dalgleish wrote:

see is you can add a gt640 video card to your system they seem to perform well with lappys even though the will run hot

Coventina,

This is a notebook computer. Only a selected minority high-end laptops come with the graphics subsystems on a daughter-card that allows them to be replaced and in some cases upgraded.  This is not an option for this OP's notebook.

On another note, This PC has better specs that many PCs from 8 years ago because any newer PC has better specs than an 8 year old PC. But on these laptops, the graphics subsystem is designed for Business Use and displaying streaming video Only!

Your blame is misplaced. Buyers of PCs & laptops need to educate themselves on what constitutes a high-end 3D rendering graphics system on any computer they are thinking of buying.

SL and most high-end gaming software won't work on the Intel HD 3000. Period. 

System Model HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC

Pavilion is HP's cheapo line. Hands off if you wanna use it for SL seriously.

Processor Intel® Pentium® CPU B940 @ 2.00GHz, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

Not great, but should be sufficient. CPU isn't that important in SL anyway.

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 2.70 GB

Available Physical Memory 1.17 GB

Total Virtual Memory 5.40 GB

Available Virtual Memory 3.50 GB

Huh? you have 4 MB RAM installed but your lappy takes most of it away ... for graphics rendering obviously. There is no dedicated GPU in your lappy, it's an office warrior, not a gaming or even multimedia machine. Toss that typewriter and get something (much) better.

thank you everyone! I figured my laptop was just not set for gaming, but again I have no background knowledge with computers. does anyone have any suggestions for a laptop/desktop that runs well with SL? I need all the help I can get. I mostly just hang out and roleplay in second life, but I use to build. the lag was uncomfortable so I stopped. any tips or ideas on what IS good to have is appreciated.

I think we need more information from you about why a notebook computer is even a consideration.

If you'll be using SL at home, by all means get a desktop and save yourself hundreds of dollars and years of aggravation.

On the other hand, if you really need full-fledged SL on the road, then yeah, you're probably stuck having to pay all the extra money for the much shorter-lived laptop. ("Full-fledged" meaning more than you can get from Lumiya... and even then, there's SLGo, so you might still get by on the road without a notebook -- and one can pay for many months of SLGo with the savings of owning a desktop instead of a notebook.)

Hard to say without knowing your budget and whether you need portability or not. Doesn`t have to be a top end megacomputer. Used could be an option, though you`d have to have someone with you who knows what they`re looking at.

Personally I`d go for something based around an nvidia graphics card coz they tend to run sl better than ati cards, but definitely steer clear of integrated grahics.

I agree with Sara...NVIDIA is definitely the way to go. I use a laptop for SL and although it doesn't work on the higher settings, and it does work wirelessly although plugging it in improves SL very noticeably. When I first started SL I had a laptop with imbedded Intel graphics like yours and it was next to useless so I know where you're coming from. I swapped to a new Dell with NVIDIA and it truly made SL worth playing.

That being said, a laptop with a dedicated mid to high end graphics card can be pricey, but if budget is a concern, there are plenty of good used ones avaliable. I picked up an older Dell for my wife on eBay with an 8600 processor and mid range NVIDIA card (can't recall the model atm) for $200 and it's been running SL fine for 2 years now. I just got a 2 year old ASUS  gaming laptop for less than $400. Again, it won't run SL on ultra settings but it's definietly playable without a lot of lag and I can run it on mid/high settings. For the price, I'm not complaining.

Remember, laptops with dedicated GPUs will run hot so a cooling pad isn't an option - it's a necessity.

My sister had a laptop. It was a custom built Dell with a separate graphics card, a must for SL. 2 years ago it was 2500 USD. You're going to have to look at that much for one that will run SL. I built my current computer system with all the bells and whistles for 1800, including a new 20 inch monitor. So, if you travel and need one for that, you're going to have to come up with a substantial amount of money.

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

Coventina Dalgleish wrote:

see is you can add a gt640 video card to your system they seem to perform well with lappys even though the will run hot

Coventina,

This is a notebook computer. Only a selected minority high-end laptops come with the graphics subsystems on a daughter-card that allows them to be replaced and in some cases upgraded.  This is not an option for this OP's notebook.

On another note, This PC has better specs that many PCs from 8 years ago because any newer PC has better specs than an 8 year old PC. But on these laptops, the graphics subsystem is designed for Business Use and displaying streaming video Only!

Your blame is misplaced. Buyers of PCs & laptops need to educate themselves on what constitutes a high-end 3D rendering graphics system on any computer they are thinking of buying.

SL and most high-end gaming software won't work on the Intel HD 3000. Period. 

Hmm...  I have my little $300 lappy going on its second summer.  It's certainly not my monster machine (who died, was totally rebuilt and then proceeded to fry two high end power supplies  lol), but  it gets me into SL and I move around quite freely.  There are some locations I won't even attempt to go to, but for my needs, it's working.  Bonus is, the heat down here doesn't seem to affect this little machine ::knocks wood::  I do run around on low graphics most of the time but can crank it up to high for a series of photos.  Main difference, I think, is I'm hard wired - though on a very slow dsl.  Here's my specs....  lol  at the 3000  (but I'm not complaining, for $300 at 2 years.... pretty dang good deal!  One of these years I'll have the monster machine refitted with a ps that can withstand the heat.. sigh...)

CPU: Intel® Core i3-2370M CPU @ 2.40GHz (2394.55 MHz)

Memory: 3960 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit  (Build 9200)

Graphics Card Vendor: Intel

Graphics Card: Intel® HD Graphics 3000

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.17.0010.2849

OpenGL Version: 3.1.0 - Build 9.17.10.2849

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3590 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.