What's wrong with this script?

Void Singer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I already know, this is just a test post to check various methods of posting code.
But feel free to speak up if you know the answer

integer  Range     = 40;
float    Arc       = 2 * PI;
float    Frequency = 10.0;
list     Previous;
integer  Search;
string   Target;

default{
     state_entry(){
          llSensorRepeat( "", "", AGENT, Range, Arc, Frequency );
     }

sensor( integer Sensed ){
          do{
               Target = llDetectedKey( --Sensed );
               Search = llListFindList( Previous, Target );
               if (Search = -1){
                    Previous = Target + llList2List( Previous, 0, 78 ); llDialog( Target, "Message ", [], -42 );
               }
          }while (Sensed)
     }
}

integer  Range     = 40;

float    Arc       = TWO_PI;

float    Frequency = 10.0;

list     Previous;

integer  Search;

string   Target;

{

state_entry()

{

llSensorRepeat( "", NULL_KEY, AGENT, Range, Arc, Frequency );

}

sensor( integer Sensed )

{

do

{

Target = llDetectedKey( --Sensed );

Search = llListFindList( Previous, );

if (Search == -1)

{

Previous = Target + llList2List( Previous, 0, 78 );

llDialog( Target, "Message ", [], -42 );

}

}

while (Sensed);

}

}

That compiles... the semi colon at the end of the while statement... where's my cooke

Congrats to Johan for finding the last compile error, you will get your big cookie in a moment

I wanna give someone a chance to find the last subtle error.

PS to Lylani, your change to

Previous += ;

would have eventually caused a stack heap collision as the list reached somewhere over 500 keys

ok well the last error was TWO_PI being fed to sensor repeat, which isn't harmful in this case, but the assumption would hurt scripts that relied on it when trying to do less than a full sphere.... because sensor arcs in LSL are a radius, not a span, so the correct value for a full sphere is only PI

enjoy your big cookie Johan

ETA:
this entire posting was about comparing resources SLA vs the forums, response time, interest generated, completeness of answers, etc

in the process I discovered that it's also a fun and engaging way to tutor on scripting... and may take up the format again at a later time.

ETA:

this entire posting was about comparing resources SLA vs the forums, response time, interest generated, completeness of answers, etc

in the process I discovered that it's also a fun and engaging way to tutor on scripting... and may take up the format again at a later time

Though scripting is a HUGE part of the forums, I'd also like to see other forums heavies doing the same thing. Chosen, Desmond and/or Elanthius, Strife, Mari, Jopsy, Domino, etc... Maybe somebody can wake Chip up, too.

I'm not looking to "prove this is worse" or anything like that. I just think it's valuable to measure these things and understand the impact of LLs actions. I suspect LL doesn't quite get it yet.

Indeterminate.Schism wrote:

Pah!  The fun I miss when I only log in a couple of times per week :-(

I've had a lot of trouble on the couple of occassions I've tried to post code here.  Eventually I copied from LSL editor into notepad and then to here.  Can you tell me more about how you used the editor instead?

you mean to post code here? click on the editor icon that looks like a  blue >> symbol, coose "syntax highlighting", then "plain" then  paste your code into the quote space. or you can paste the code into  your message to begin with, highlight it all (which can be tricky) and  use the above steps =)

Meade.Paravane wrote:

ETA:

in the process I discovered that it's also a fun and engaging way to tutor on scripting... and may take up the format again at a later time

Though scripting is a HUGE part of the forums, I'd also like to see other forums heavies doing the same thing. Chosen, Desmond and/or Elanthius, Strife, Mari, Jopsy, Domino, etc... Maybe somebody can wake Chip up, too.

I'm not looking to "prove this is worse" or anything like that. I just think it's valuable to measure these things and understand the impact of LLs actions. I suspect LL doesn't quite get it yet.

I did it strictly to see the differences, where one works better than  the other, etc. largely as a way to point me in the direction of what's  missing, and be linkable to me specifically should others want to see.  I'm not looking at is as is one better than the other, I'm looking at is  as a clue to what can be improved to make it all the best possible.

Paladin.Pinion wrote:

Void.Singer wrote:

Share your findings?

I was tempted to paste in the answers given in the forums, but I restrained myself.

response time and interest weren't noticeably different for either,  time to resolution and completeness of answer was vastly superior on the  forum. that much was about what I expected, given forumites longer  participation (I was pleseantly suprised by interest generated here).  but it points out some basic issues...

forumites have been  avoiding this place with complaints of difficulty navigating, missing  features, sloppy categorization, and other concerns... to the point  where they'd rather go offsite than come here. hence why I expected  faster response and completion in the forums.

the lack of much  general scripting traffic here at all tells me people with questions are  also experiencing some of the same dificulties, as well as difficulties  posting code. This sends them elswhere too.

that overall trend is  bad for people with questions, bad for the people who answer them, and  bad for LL too (loss of content control, brain drain, user  dissatisfaction, fractured user base, etc).

I've said it before...  I don't care what software LL users to facilitate it, on that it  facilitates it the most efficient way possible, which by example, needs  to be pretty much on par with forum software feature wise... at least in  this type of environment. the only advantage I can see to the current  setup in SLA is that you can dump old questions... because no one will  be able to usefully access them since you can't usefully search the  answers.... on the downside that means increased traffic because the  same thing worded a little different gets asked over and over, and  drowns out the unique new questions. forum softwares handle this by  search and stickies, to cut down on repetitive content, leaving more  room for unique content.

Also, you have to bear in mind that the old forum ship is still afloat.  It's listing pretty bad, but the regular users who are used to using the old vB forum for scripting help are going to likely go there until the bow disappears under the water.  Cast adrift in their lifeboats, they'll likely meander over to here, especially if they see the usual suspects here answering questions, regardless of how clunky it's setup right now.  Regardless of however good or bad the software is, what makes for a good forum is the user base, and we have a good one here.  There's a good base of Jedi Masters here, and that's what keeps them coming.  If I had to run telnet on a Commodore 64 emulator to get to the message section of a BBS to get the help I've got from the vB forums, I'd do it.  The one thing we have going here is despite it's drawbacks, at least it's a newer system that (according to LL) better suits their needs for making changes to it, so hopefully if we chew on the right ears, we can get the changes made here that need to be done..... Women and children first please.

I did it strictly to see the differences, where one works better than  the other, etc. largely as a way to point me in the direction of what's  missing, and be linkable to me specifically should others want to see.  I'm not looking at is as is one better than the other, I'm looking at is  as a clue to what can be improved to make it all the best possible.

/me understands.

I think LL should be interested in which one is more effective. It's not clear to me that they are interested in this but they should be. They sometimes like to play the "we're a business!" card but not live up to it.

I've said it before...  I don't care what software LL users to facilitate it

/me too. I care that it works and that it's not more difficult to use. Period. I think LL does not understand that this is what most forumites are unhappy about. I think they perceive the anger as coming from us being in luv with vBulletin or not wanting to lose the history.

Meade.Paravane wrote:

/me too. I care that it works and that it's not more difficult to use. Period. I think LL does not understand that this is what most forumites are unhappy about. I think they perceive the anger as coming from us being in luv with vBulletin or not wanting to lose the history.

Unfortunately I have the same feeling... if they'd said, "hey were moving to phpBB but we have to dump all the old content to a separate archive" I'd be celebrating and so would almost every other forum goer... because we know we'd immediately have the same functionality and ease of use, probably with a ton of improvements... it's the functionality that matters...

sadly the ONLY really simple and effective way for me to find this thread is to hit my user page, and I'd be SOL if it fell off that list.... I'd have to hope I remembered the title and try to pull it via google... and neither tells me there's new replies, so I have to keep polling it to check even when there's nothing new... the only other alternative is an all or nothing spam fest on my email... neither option is ideal, and both use unnecessary bandwidth both for LL and me.

it's been suggested that LL is trying to reduce bandwith with this, and I suppose in a roundabout way, they might eventually... because the navigation is so arcane compared to similar products, users will go where it's easier... that's not good for anyone, LL included for a variety of reasons.

PS

My apologies to anyone who gets spammed by my edits (do you?) I keep finding last second problems to correct because there's no preview and I keep forgetting to drop into html view and add a horizontal rule to separate my signature from the text.... I figure it's confusing enough with some peoples sigs

Yeah, about the edits.. It's stupid how the blog automatically subscribes you to the thread and you have to manually opt out of receiving notifications all the time, what's up with that.  The least they could do is have some sort of control panel setting that lets you turn that functionality on and off, or more sensibly make you manually subscribe to an important thread.  If I come in and post to 4 or 5 threads, the next day when I get up I have 50 or 60 emails sometimes.  It's just stupid.

Johan.Laurasia wrote:

Yeah, about the edits.. It's stupid how the blog automatically subscribes you to the thread and you have to manually opt out of receiving notifications all the time, what's up with that.  The least they could do is have some sort of control panel setting that lets you turn that functionality on and off, or more sensibly make you manually subscribe to an important thread.  If I come in and post to 4 or 5 threads, the next day when I get up I have 50 or 60 emails sometimes.  It's just stupid.

they do have a control panel for that.  up at the top left, click Your Stuff then click Preferences.  and just bask in the lovely dark glow of all the No you can click. however if i do subscribe to a thread, which i dont exactly because of this, it'd be nice to just get ONE DAMN MAIL until i view the thread, not one per post.

then you all have my sincere apologies for the extra spam....

and  once you have disabled the feature for all threads you CAN selectively  turn it back on for specific threads, when viewing the thread,in the action bar at the top of the thread to the left....

Void.Singer wrote:

then you all have my sincere apologies for the extra spam....

and  once you have disabled the feature for all threads you CAN selectively  turn it back on for specific threads, when viewing the thread,in the action bar at the top of the thread to the left....

How would I do that? I turned off all the generic email notifications a long time ago in prefs. If I go back to prefs while reading this thread, I get what looks like generic options again (but it shows the default settings.) Is the selective option identical to the general one, except that you are supposed to know intuitively that if you get there from a thread, it applies only to that thread?

nope, scroll up to the top of this page, on the left side of the first  post is a box labeled "Actions", the second item down should be "recieve email notifications" (it may be first, I have an "edit this thread" link above it)

ETA:
;the link is only for the thread you are in, it really should be labeled that way, but you do get a little message explaining that if you click it, oh and sorry for the spam =P

ps why oh why must this forum insist on starting a new paragraph with every return....

Void.Singer wrote:

nope, scroll up to the top of this page, on the left side of the first  post is a box labeled "Actions", the second item down should be "recieve email notifications" (it may be first, I have an "edit this thread" link above it)

I see it now, thanks very much -- proving once again that I'm blind, or nearly (actually, that's almost true. My vision is very bad.). I think it' the green text, my eyes don't always see it.

Johan.Laurasia wrote:

If you use firefox, I found this today.  It makes the green text darker and changes the font to Veranda.  It helps alot.  You must have firefox to use it though.

http://userstyles.org/styles/24865

Oh my, that is fantastic! Thank you. I wish we could perma-post that link. It takes away a lot of the frustration I've been having with these blogs. Bravo to whoever wrote that. I had installed GreaseMonkey for use in the old forums, and adding this script was a simple one-click affair for me.

Funny how simple appearance can make such a difference in user perception.

We are nothing if not resourceful and full of answers LOL... inre "I wish we could perma-post that link"

As this is a 'user interface' related topic, go to the user interface section:

https://blogs.secondlife.com/community/answers/user_interface_questions

Click the 'start a discussion' button (righthand side) and create a thread titled "Blog Settings" and post that link as part of a discussion.  In turn people will reply adding opinion/further info... and ideally anytime someone wants to find it by clicking search and entering 'blog settings' it should come up top of the list, fingers crossed.  This way you're kind of perma-posting it making it easy to find for everyone here.  Same with anything scripting related , abuse info, general info, technological info, if there's something worthy of adding, by all means leave a trail of breadcrumbs for people to follow.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.