Multi faced mesh,zbrush baking textures from hi poly model to low poly mesh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3618 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have created gown in zbrush retopoligized it and i assigned 7 materials on the mesh which means 7 uv's in Blender,as i know SL supports 8 faced mesh with possibility of putting 8 textures on object,my problem is texture baking from hi poly mesh to low poly mesh,i know that everybody is using xnormal utility for creating AO,normal,and specular maps but the thing is xnormal can create only one texture from one UV map,is there any way or utility for baking textures from hi poly mesh to low poly mesh with multiple materials,or UV's to multiple texture files,thanks in advance

You could have just had your 7 materials on 1 UV map, unless you want to have high detail on some parts which may or may not need to be high in detail.  

So if you just done one UV map with all the materials on it you would have no problem having to find away to bake to all the maps at once.

yes indeed i want to have in some places high details i have tried to texture the whole object with one texture sized 1024x1024 and the belt of the gown looks destorted and pixelated,i need at least 3 textures size 1024 in order for the gown to look nice and others can be less detailed for example size 512x512,but issue that i have is related to the baking from high poly mesh to low poly mesh with multiple uv maps of different parts of the gown and i have seen it done before just the creator won't tell me the secret,thanks anyway for the replay

In Blender, you can map all the materials to the same UV Map in such a way that each on its own uses the whole area of the UV space. If you select all together, then the UV islands will overlap, but that doesn't matter. Then you can assign a different image to each material in the UV editor and bake themn all at the same time. The baked texture for each will appear just on the assigned image, and they won't interfere with each other. Unless you really need to use cages for baking, which Blender doesn't have yet, this is the easiest solution to your problem. Here is the workflow (roughly)...

1. Assign the materials to the low poly mesh faces.

2. With each material in turn selected (button under material list) ...

a. Create a new image (preferably with name of material). The selected faces will be assigned to this for baking.

b. UV unwrap (method of choice, plus editing).

3. Set up the high poly for baking (no UV mapping required).

4. Select high poly, then shift select low poly (in outliner if it's hidden).

5. Bake.

6. Save each of the images.

The result of baking of each set of materials in a face wiill be output only onto the assigned image. There will be no interference between them as long as the faces assigned to a material and to the corresponding image are identical. The same effect can be achieved with a different sequence of actions as long as that condition applies at the point of baking.

• Like 2

VulpesVulpes666 wrote:

yes indeed i want to have in some places high details i have tried to texture the whole object with one texture sized 1024x1024 and the belt of the gown looks destorted and pixelated,i need at least 3 textures size 1024 in order for the gown to look nice and others can be less detailed for example size 512x512,but issue that i have is related to the baking from high poly mesh to low poly mesh with multiple uv maps of different parts of the gown and i have seen it done before just the creator won't tell me the secret,thanks anyway for the replay

Just wanted to point out that while you dress may look lovely when finished (big smile), it may also be unwearable with all those huge and many textures. So having a friend with a nice clean and clear cache would be a good plan. I have a few items which appear to be simpler than this that make it so laggy I can hardly move and I have a pretty hefty machine. so maybe some experimenting along the way would be a good thing. I know a few designers who many folks will not buy from because of this problem.

Middle ground GOOD - LOL.  

And it never seems that I have learned all I can from Drongel - :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3618 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.