have issues with walking

melioa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

ok, i use W A S D for my movement, but about a week or so ago, the W and the A no longer respond for my movement.... but it is fine on another PC i use. and the W and A do work for typing, so i know its not an issue with my keyboard.

can anyone help me with this?

3 answers to this question

It probably IS an issue with your keyboard. The easiest way to test is to hook another keyboard up to your computer.  If the problem goes away, you know it's your old keyboard that's the problem.

While you are waiting for your new keyboard to arrive, you can use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move.  Or you can put the Movement control palette on your screen and use your mouse.

If I have misunderstood what you've tried so far, you can edit your post by clicking the Options/Edit button to add information and correct my ignorance. :smileyvery-happy:

Hi melioa,

It's been at least six years since I last used a PC, but I do recall having keyboards go silly on me. Rebooting the computer often fixed it, though also recall using Device Manager to remove and re-install the keyboard driver. And, weird as it sounds, I did have a keyboard go half dead and I had to swap it to another computer, where it worked fine.

I do suspect your problem is in the software somewhere. You could try another viewer (to isolate the problem to the viewer rather than Windows) or a clean reinstall of the viewer. Instructions for doing so are here...

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Second-Life/ta-p/1375231

Pay attention to the note about preserving chat logs if that's important to you. That note points you here...

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Text-chat-and-instant-messages/ta-p/700155#Section_.3

Good luck!

I have just recently kind of had this same issue (out of no where), but I USE the arrow keys. It's not that the arrows quit working, but they are opposite. Normal function for me: My camera view is from behind, walk is the up arrow, backwards is down. The last few days when I log in from my home computer I have the camera view in front of me, walk is down and backwards is up. I'm not sure how to fix this either. When I log on from a different computer I operate with Nomal function. I really don't think this is a keyboard issue myself, my computer is less than a month old and it's a high end gaming system. Other games have not had a issue with movement other than SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.