ATI Graphics Card Question

Nyll Bergbahn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5196 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My System Information tool says I have an ATI Radeon 512MB graphics card, so does the ATI Catalyst Control Centre. This is very strange as I purchased and installed a ATI Radeon X1550 256MB AGP graphics card. Second Life is detecting 512MB and has set the Hardware Settings Texture Memory to 512MB, too high if I really only have 256MB.

Either ATI supplied a 512MB card by mistake (there is a Radeon X1550 512MB AGP but not by the same manufacturer) or my system is erring. Is that possible?

So my question is: does SL detect actual memory or does it take it from what ATI Catalyst or System Info says?

Nyll

6 answers to this question

Thanks for that explanation Ansariel. I would assume ATI Catalyst is capable of detecting one of its own units correctly so maybe it is a 512MB card. It would explain why my computer is running so hot when in Second Life. I'll try and find a utility that checks graphic card memory.

Nyll

Those memory available display was IMHO always buggy on AGP cards because of the "great" feature idea of AGP cards to use additional main memory for textures. Because of that, you should find in you computer's BIOS a setting "AGP aperture size" somewhere. And if I'm not completely wrong, this was by default either set to 256 MB or 128 MB.

• Like 1

It is very possible the manufacturer have supplied you a 512MB card by mistake. Once I took some memory (RAM), but it come with a lot more RAM than I bought. However, the only way to know that is by using a tool like CPU-Z.

SL does not recognize all kind hardware in your machine. It seems that it detects only those hardware listed on its code. LL has to improve that someway.

• Like 1

Is what you mean by buggy that the AGP Aperture memory (system RAM) shows up as Graphics Card memory? I reset the AGP Aperture BIOS to 256MB from 128MB a while back but whether I have it at 32MB, 64MB, 128MB or 256MB it doesn't affect the 512MB shown in ATI Catalyst or Sys Info after restarts. I've reset it to 128MB as that should be high enough.

CPU-Z says I have a 512MB card and graphics AGP 8x supported. SiSoftware Sandra says I have a 256MB card and current transfer rate of 8x too. I'm not really any the wiser!

Anyway, thanks Ansariel and Steve for your assistance. I'm not going to worry too much about it as Second LIfe is running reasonably well considering my system is nearly 6 years old (except for the graphics card).

Nyll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5196 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.