mirian266

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The newest forms of fashion in SL are created using outside programs that allows the creation of 3D mesh models. However there are still people that buy and wear system clothes.  System clothes are 'painted' on the avatar with textures created outside of SL in a graphics program such as gimp or photoshop.

Here is a link to information on how to create clothes in SL with links to various other websites.  There is also a lot of tutorials on YouTube about creating clothes specifically for SL and how to use the programs in general.  Blender is the most popular for 3D creation because it is free.  So is GIMP, which can be used to create textures..

Not to discourage you but competition is stiff in SL for selling clothes.  It takes as much time and effort to start a clothing business that is profitable as it does in RL.  However if you make original quality clothing that appeals to people, you'd be welcome and you can make money.  How much depends on your products and the time and effort you put into them.  Some SL designers make their RL living doing it, while most earn just a bit of extra income , or just enough to fund their SL.  Some sell nothing too.

• Like 1

I just started experimenting with this myself. My friend gave me some templates to use for some retexturing of mesh clothing to start with and now I am playing with Blender. Be prepared to find a lot of useless links and outdated videos. It can be frustrating if you are trying to follow along and realize the software and tech has been updated several times since the creation of the video! If you are looking for a buddy in learning all this please send me a notecard in game! I would love to swap links and tips with someone who is also just learning!

I have been making clothes for Second Live for a few years, but I do not sell them. I have no interest in selling or merchant activities on SL.

For years, in real life, I enjoyed killing time sketching things I would like to wear. Then, after being introduced to SL and to the program GIMP (a free program very much like Photo$hop) I took my RL interest to SL. I make lingerie, nighties, dresses, tops, skirts, and the usual. All are system clothes, that is, textures done in GIMP and uploaded to SL. Then I add color in SL. Color can be done in GIMP, but I usually upload white textures and then make a number of copies in different colors.

I don't get involved in the system/prim/mesh debates. For me, designing and drawing the textures in GIMP is just more enjoyable. Others may enjoy mesh more. But, since they are only for me (and sometimes for a few friends) I do what I want, not what will sell. I particularly enjoy making things like lace bras and panties.

There are tutorials to learn about GIMP and making clothes, so enjoy!

Marybeth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.