"Social Rehab" programs?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3619 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Has any educational or social services organization considered pursuing "social rehabilitation" through Second Life?

When I say that, I mean creating personally tailored programs designed to help people with social disorders or communication issues overcome them and gain greater quality of life and greater function in the real world. Especially if it provides opportunities for employment and self-sufficiency where none or few may exist.

Consider that through this medium, it's possible for people who otherwise can't, won't, or don't communicate with others, either at all, or effectively, to be able to engage their peers in a healthy, friendly, peaceful manner, and to do so consistently.

This could potentially be translated back into their real world experience to allow them to become functional again using what they've learned through practice.

If this is in the wrong forum [SLEDU], I apologize. It seemed like the right place for it.

Actually SL itself goes a long way toward helping people like this.  Because they don't have to expose their RL self, a lot of people open up more and are more sociable in SL than RL.  Many tell me that SL has helped them be more like this in RL. 

about an older woman with Parkinsons who came to SL.  She has been in SL a while now and her Parkinson's symptoms connected with mobility and control have improved remarkedly.as being able to do things normally in SL has taught her brain to find new pathways to control her body better.

You may also want to check out Virtual Ability in SL, dedicated to helping people with all types of disabilities use SL for a better life.  There are a number of vids on YouTube about them.

In addition, there are a number of RL support groups active in SL that hold meetings here for SL residents.

There are several places I've heard about that use SL for those with social anxiety disorder to start opening up since they can do it anonymously in SL. They learn to relax. It's also used as therapy for stroke and brain trauma patients to help them regain some cognitive and physical function since it requires both left and right brain functions. Just not advertised much.

Hey I'd like to think SL helps immensely with social communication problems.

I'm err was an interverted person before signing up to SL, now I'm slowly finding it easy to strike up convwersations with people I don't know like at my church or my workplace for example.

SL gives users the abillity to create their ideal selves so they don't have to feel a social stigma like being short or having acene problems, I don't but some people do, or being socailly awkward.

SL allows people to open up in ways they wouldn't normally do and I beleive I am one of those users that proves that.

Treasure Ballinger wrote:

Hi Togran;

As others have suggested, please do contact Virtual Ability.   Speak with Gentle Heron, tell her I sent you over from the forums, she'll be able to guide you.   Hope to see you around the grid.

Gentle is definitely the one you want to talk with first. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3619 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.