Second Life New Mesh Bodies UV Maps

Electra Feden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

While Mesh Avatats will be the future this release is once again a horrible idea for Newbies, long time residents and Designers.

Newbies will literally find nothing to wear on the grid. Hence they won't use these avatars for long or leave because they quickly realise that there are no freebies for them and they are not ready to spend money. The avatars were good enough for newbies, the handling of the viewer needed fixing for a smoother first time experience.

If chossing a Mesh avatar a long time residents renders their layer outfits and rigged mesh completely useles, all the monies for skin, clothes, make up, shoes etc would have been wasted (not going to happen)

These avatars are based on FitMesh which nobody really likes, most designers including myself have stopped selling it because customers hated it. (I asked for feedback in exchange for store cards, over 94% out of 300 people disliked itm over 70% actually said they hated it)

The strenght of Second Life was always the creativity of us residents. We residents should work out the standards and not 3 designers that Linden Labs believes represent us all because they clearly don't. Not only will this cause a massive confusion this decission benefits noone because when designers stick together and ignore these avatars then nobody will use them.

Let's just hope designers will ignore this idea and it disappears by itself.

I LOVE definitively the new avatars . They look gorgeous with material enabled

I thinks it s a bit pity they are tagged "not modify" . I would have prefered to get them tagged  "modify no transfer" .

Even if i didn t have the intention to change the UV maps , i would liked to add in them my personnal scripts 

I pretty much agree with what Steph Catseye says .... I was in the NDA for the fitted mesh .. and fitted mesh avatars... I asked and asked about UV maps .... so much could have been created with those ... Skins, Tattoos for both arms (I just know the new ones have two arms UV maped).  Well lets just say I asked for alot of things ... was eighter ignored or told no.  I am very very sad about this release and I really hope they contuine to work on these avatars and make them better and give us creators all the tools we need .....

Hi, LL should rather update the standard avatar than use fitted mesh avatars but that won´t ever happen.

This avatars are maybe created for and not from LL ? That´s why they are no modify.

Why shouldn´t they be modify anyway ! Most of the sliders in appearance don´t work or not as desired - useless.

Monti

Fitted mesh, so the clothing components should work with an ordinary non-Mesh AV, and they do come with component specific Alpha Layers to make that possible.

I am seeing something seriously weird with the UI processes needed to use Alpha Layers from these new Library components. Try figuring out how to "Add" those Alpha Layers from the inventory window

If this is how screwed up the UI is for working with other Fitted Mesh, no wonder the customers hate it.

note Genesis wrote:

Linden Lab say (New Mesh Avatars):

"These avatars are designed to give new users a more appealing set of choices as they start their time in Second Life."

Well, out of curiosity I tried all the female ones. All I can say is that to my eyes they all look rather bad. The skins are featureless, the faces surely lack any beauty.

The avatars are like walking statues with frozen faces, eyes and hands. :smileysurprised:

Personally I find those mesh avatars sub-quality and definitely not appealing at all. Uff... :smileyfrustrated:

Coby Foden wrote:

note Genesis wrote:

Linden Lab say (
):

"
These avatars are designed to give new users a more appealing set of choices as they start their time in Second Life.
"

Linden Labs did the exact opposite because new residents they don't know they look "newbish" their frst concern is understanding how it works. Once they realize they should improve their looks they go to freebie places. They will keep doing this but find literally NOTHING. They will buy clothes and it will take them a lot more confusion as before why the jeans doesn't show on their bodies, the most are already struggeling to handle the over complicated first user experience with that obsolete viewer now they have to understand the difference between mesh avatar and old avatar and no way for an inexperienced eye to tell the difference. This is hands down killing the newbie retention and it is frustrating for veterans, newbies and designers and Linden Labs made another utterly excrutiating dumb decission.

I like to compare Linden Labs to a bunch of deers, they kinda look amazing on the outside but they are dumb as bread. Once they hear a branch cracking somwhere in the woods they run full speed into a truck by looking straight into it untill they get hit and die.

I just joined SL today, and I'm very confused! I think this thread relates to the issue I'm having. I don't mind spending a bit of money to see if I can get into SL, but I can't find anything that actually works. How do I find items to purchase that work with the new models?

livingtrue wrote:

I just joined SL today, and I'm very confused! I think this thread relates to the issue I'm having. I don't mind spending a bit of money to see if I can get into SL, but I can't find anything that actually works. How do I find items to purchase that work with the new models?

The newer avatars are practically worthless. If you really want to get into SL, the first thing to do would be to learn about the different types of avatars, and the benefits/drawbacks of each. You can get literally any look you're going for, but not without either effort or money. I'd be more than glad to help explain if you IM me inworld.

The avatars are not very attractive. Yes, they might be bad imitations of ordinary people but I don't think many newbies want to look ordinary.

They'd be very hard to fall in love with. Some of the men look scary. One has a very bad wig and looks a bit psycho. One looks like a drug addict. Another like a criminal and not a sexy one.

The skin pops out of clothes in places. That's the most annoying thing about mesh.

Anyway, we don't want them to be too good because they are free. Creators want to do better than the default - and LL has made that easy to achieve :)

Steph Catseye wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

note Genesis wrote:

Linden Lab say (
):

"
These avatars are designed to give new users a more appealing set of choices as they start their time in Second Life.
"

Linden Labs did the exact opposite because new residents they don't know they look "newbish" their frst concern is understanding how it works. Once they realize they should improve their looks they go to freebie places. They will keep doing this but find literally NOTHING. They will buy clothes and it will take them a lot more confusion as before why the jeans doesn't show on their bodies, the most are already struggeling to handle the over complicated first user experience with that obsolete viewer now they have to understand the difference between mesh avatar and old avatar and no way for an inexperienced eye to tell the difference. This is hands down killing the newbie retention and it is frustrating for veterans, newbies and designers and Linden Labs made another utterly excrutiating dumb decission.

I like to compare Linden Labs to a bunch of deers, they kinda look amazing on the outside but they are dumb as bread. Once they hear a branch cracking somwhere in the woods they run full speed into a truck by looking straight into it untill they get hit and die.

It's been so long that I honestly don't remember how I learned a lot of the basics, things like changing clothes, simple editing of objects etc.  I don't remember if it was a tutorial or someone told me or if I found out by simply "clicking around."  I did all of those things when I first started.

Of course there is a little bit more to learn today, but really it is only a little bit.  And there have always been and always will be those who are willing to help out.  I do know that people I met 'volunteered' early on to help me.  And I did ask questions.  If someone is getting to a freebie store then someone helped them to get there.

I always tell new people to be patient, that it takes about two weeks to start to feel comfortable here and I think on an average that is accurate.  There is no way to get around the learning curve SL throws at people.

If someone really is having that much trouble that they can't follow basic instructions in SL then I really wonder how they are getting anything done on a computer. 

The real problem as I see it is that Mesh Avatars is a very immature (new) market.  There is very little content available relatively speaking.  So my advice to new people is going to be unless you have a lot of money to spend to be patient and wait until there is a bit more content and options available.

Making Mesh Avas is a unique skill set.  Making skins is a unique skill set.  What I think will really cause the Market to flourish is when the Mesh Ava makers incorporate a system such as Lola's use so you can apply different skins to that Mesh and the skin Makers adapt those systems.  We need a large selection of shapes and the ability to apply different skins to them.

The reason I think this is so is because people want options and the reason they want options is because they want individuality.  True this will add to the learning curve but is it really that big a curve?  Again, one of the most important lessons we can impart to the new user is to be patient.  Because there is no way around it.

If there are any flaws to the way things look it's only because LL has given us for whatever reasons only they seem to know (they are still keeping us in the dark despite the claims of improved transparency) half baked systems to work with.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.