Sign in to follow this  
hollowgirl78

Frustrated and Confused

I am 30 days new to SL but I am a long time rper; table top, LARPING, MMOs etc. I have been to various sims,  read the welcome packets, submitted applications where necessary and still have not been able to engage in RP. I have not heard back from a single application (That's ok I know it can someimtes take awhile) and so I have wandered these sims getting a feel for the layout and trying to observe or engage where I can. It has been boring. I  have even taken note of when activities and events are going on and tried to be present for those, still kinda felt shut out. 

I know that once a community RPs for awhile with each other, it is often difficult to get  newbies involved. Storylines can already be going on etc. I just don't know what my next attempt/step should be. I was very excited when the fantasy Faire came along because I assumed there would be some RP there and certainly many Rp communities would be present perhaps with kiosks to try to recruit or advertise. This was the case, to some degree, but it was much more limited than I expected.  

I have no particular preference for the type of RP. I have done everything from high fantasy to gritty modern urban and everything in between. 

So, is there not a vibrant and active RP community, or is there one and I just can't find it? This post is not a complaint or an accusation, merely a sincere plea for help in getting involved. 

TLDR;  RP vet looking for active community open to noobs. 

What kind of RP are you looking for? There are various sims with different themes. Are you looking for metered with combat or unmetered? If metered, do you want a free meter or one you have to pay for?

I would suggest that you join the Seeking Roleplay group inworld. In the past notices are a lot of different sims advertised.

You do have to be bold and kind of barge in, so to speak. You can't stand around and wait for players to come up to you. I the sim I'm an admin in (NoR, Nation of Rembrance, post apocalyptic) I do try to include new residents to the sim, but you have to make an effort as well.

Have you tried Avilion Medieval Role Play?  The group is friendly and welcoming.  There are many events.  https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=avilionevents@gmail.com&ctz=America/Los_Angeles 

Newcomers and even non-members are invited to join events.  Medieval appropriate dress is required, but there are some free outfits and changing room at the entrance.

I'm new there also.  Send me an IM if you have any questions.

I think it's a bit daunting to break into a rp community if you don't already know someone in it.  I know I was looking at places for nearly a year before I finally took the plunge with the Wystenra sim (realistic renessiance era rp).  I've been sucked into it, and I'm happy to show anyone around the sim and talk shop.  

It could be that the sim(s) you're running into are full of cliquish assholes, as that does happen. But there might be another phenomenon you might not be aware of. People may not appreciate your dedication to RP, because not everyone who arrives at a sim is as dedicated as you seem to be.

Anyone who's been in Second Life RP is familiar with the cry of the new member: "I don't feel like I belong." So many of us have spent hours and hours and hours working with people, interruping our RP to make them feel welcome, coaching, mentoring, etc.

What very often happens though is that the alt disappears, sometimes without a word. If you are very, very lucky, you may hear if they've alted or gone to another sim, but usually, the character just vanishes. They go off to the latest shiny sim, maybe they get grounded or run into some issue in real life, maybe they chase a sim where the avatars have bigger breasts, etc...)

This can make people skeptical after awhile. It doesn't help that some people create alts deliberately to harass sims in this way (I can't tell you how many times I've had characters ask me long lists of things like how to open up the contents of a box, and then later on execute some SL maneuver that shows they've clearly been around for awhile). So if you want to RP in a sim, you often have to put in enough time to suggest you're not going to run off as soon as you're welcomed. And then people will say, ok, this person clearly cares about our sim and it's great to invest into them and their character.

And that, of course, becomes a dilemma, because why should you stick around a sim if you don't feel welcomed?

I can only suggest finding the right roleplay for you might take countless tries. It's sort of like cold call sales - you just have to keep at it but the math says that after a large number of tries, you will succeed.

Adding to the challenge, is a sim might be wrong for you at one time of day, but right at another, You might come to a sim at 3 p.m. and find it with cliquish, unfriendly roleplayers, and then come back to that sim at 7 p.m. when nice and friendly people are around.

Good luck finding the right community and fit for you!

Yeaaaaaa

I'm actually having the same problem..

I'm not sure if I should be trying to post myself around these forums like a maniac- or running around somewhere in the world.

Which i'm very new to SL so... Just running around blindly is not getting me anywhere. All I've really been is the island and that tiger place... Sigh.

I guess what i'm trying to say is, I can totally relate.

Then you have the problem, especially in metered sims, of players farming for XP. Many time, they are not even where you can attempt to RP. I'm trying to extablish an alt in an RP sim right now. I look on the map and there are 40 people in the sim. You get there and there is actually no one anywhere you can RP with them; they are all up in skyboxes. I find that very annoying.