Technologies_OpenSim server

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have own educational center in RL and I'm interested in having own OpenSim Server in my educational center for making little land with avatars for my students. This OpenSim Server doesn't connect with Internet and wil work only locally in class.

May I make it? I  don't know anything about it, but I need avatars; building and objects for this local server.

I'm an OpenSim fan and lover, although less good with the technical stuff than the official development team. Some things I can however say on the matter:

It should be easy to make OpenSim run in a LAN, although I never tried it myself. I believe you need to run it in standalone mode (not grid mode) and specify a local IP. I believe those settings are typically found in opensim.ini and region.ini.

As for lack of avatars, that's sadly a big problem in OpenSim now. Fewer people make good content there than on the main grid, which frustrates me too because I want to see OpenSim having a bigger future. That said, there are many freebies on OSGrid at least, although most are of the quality stuff on the main grid was back in 2007.

Porting stuff from the main grid should however be easy with a custom viewer. Meny viewers offer an Export ability in the pie menu (right-clicking objects in world or inventory) with an import ability somewhere within the menus. Obviously, this can and should only be used on full perm objects, otherwise it's copy-botting which is kinda wrong and forbidden and stuff.

Mircea Lobo wrote:

Porting stuff from the main grid should however be easy with a custom viewer. Meny viewers offer an Export ability in the pie menu (right-clicking objects in world or inventory) with an import ability somewhere within the menus. Obviously, this can and should only be used on full perm objects, otherwise it's copy-botting which is kinda wrong and forbidden and stuff.

"You must not use or provide any functionality that Linden Lab’s viewers do not have for exporting content from Second Life unless the functionality verifies that the content to be exported was created by the Second Life user who is using the Third-Party Viewer. Specifically, before allowing the user to export the content, the Third-Party Viewer must verify that the Second Life creator name for each and every content component to be exported, including each and every primitive or other content type, is the same as the Second Life name of the Third-Party Viewer user. This must be done for all content in Second Life, including content that may be set to "full permissions."

http://secondlife.com/corporate/tpv.php#priv2

Bottom line, you can only lawfully export content you made your self.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.