How many accounts can we have for one corporate e-mail

Rstan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Rstan wrote:

Do you know the designers who make avatars, buildings etc for SL make them for OpenSim instead SL but the equal cost as for SL?

No. Anything produced for OpenSim must be Full Permission (copy, modify, transfer). Very few content creators will take this risk, because you have full capability of uploading back to SL and ripping them off.

The designers/content creators that will risk it, will have their own separate EULA/agreements for giving content to new grids, and it will probably cost you substantially more. Second Life's permission system provides some protection for content creators - stepping out of Second Life is entirely unsafe, and based more on trust.

You should do your own research on setting up an OpenSim grid, Google will teach you more than a forum will at this basic level.

I'm coming a bit late to the party...so forgive me if things have been said already...

I can understand what you want to do..but one reason, that I think no one mentioned already, is that if you give your employee an AV (account) that you created you become responsible for anything they do inworld (on Second Life) under that account. That could, in theory, jepordize all your accounts.

For example, let's say you contact your employee and you want to have this meeting...so you give them an AV and password that you created...you have your meeting, log out and all is good. BUT, then that employee goes back inworld and begins to engage in Ageplay or begins to harass people. Guess who LL (Linden Lab, the company that created Second Life) is going to go after...not him/her...because it's YOUR account, YOU are liable and LL can freeze your account and, if the charge is serious enough, report you to local authorities.

It is easy, as everyone else has mentioned, to have people set up accounts. You can rent or purchase a sim to hold your meetings...and anything else they do is not your concern.

I realize, after reading this, that I'm talking in circles with all the definitions and double talk, but I did want to make sure that the OP understood all the players involved here.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your reply. That's why  I think about standalone OpenSim server for our educational center where employeers, English teachers will teach students supplementary practice using virtual model of real life situations.

Rstan, I have in the past set up multiple accounts with the same email address in order to meet the needs of clients (I'm a professional SL developer). Contact Linden support, explain the situation, including the number of accounts you need, what for, and some info about your organization. (Edit: as has already been mentioned, you can create up to five accounts with the same email address, but allowing others to use them is the issue. You will need to be white listed by LL for that, or to create more than five with the same email address.)

It is possible to export content from Second Life to Open Simulator, but it isn't always simple. Script functions are not exactly the same in OS, nor is the physics engine. Another hindrance is the SL policy that says you cannot connect to the service with a viewer able to export content that you didn't personally create or upload. However, there are ways to recreate content despite it, as I have done for clients. (Edit: It is entirely possible to own intellectual property rights on content without having the correct SL permissions in order to export it. If you do have custom content built for you, be sure to tell your developer up front if you want to have the ability to export it.)

Developing content for OS is often more difficult and more expensive than creating the same things in SL, for a variety of reasons, and you will not have the same large community, Linden support, and as many options to buy content from shops (which of course costs less than creating every rug and sock custom). However, you may have certain abilities you don't have in SL, depending on what grid you join or whether you set up one of your own. Some find that OS costs them more, despite lower region hosting expense, because content costs more.

My company works in both SL and OS. If you need a hand with any of this, please drop me an IM in SL. Best of luck with your project!

Kim Anubis wrote:

Another hindrance is the SL policy that says you cannot connect to the service with a viewer able to export content that you didn't personally create or upload.

I don't create much SL content, but I would say that that is one "hindrance" which is essential. Or should everybody be able to use a copybot viewer?

However, there are ways to recreate content despite it, as I have done for clients.

"Recreate" as in... make cheap knockoffs? Or do you in fact use the copybot method?

Edit: It is entirely possible to own intellectual property rights on content without having the correct SL permissions in order to export it.

Purchasing content does not give one intellectual property rights on that content.

Griffin, the current policy is a hindrance to many who would like to export content to which they legitimately own appropriate intellectual property rights, or which they have built in collaboration with others, even when they have signed, hard copy, real-life contracts to demonstrate their rights. Stating that is not an endorsement of copybot. It should be possible to export content when it has been vetted, and in fact the Lab itself has done so under specific circumstances (from SL to Second Life Enterprise -- they had tools in place for this purpose at the time, which I thought were pretty nifty when I used them). That's not copybot, and neither are the other methods I use.

(Edited to add: at the recent Virtual Worlds Best Practices in Education conference, Ebbe Linden, during his keynote, said himself that he feels that people who own IP rights to content should be able to export it, and that he planned to look into making it easier to do so.)

I have both exported and recreated custom content which my company created for clients. I own the rights to the content and licensed it to my clients. Whatever I didn't create myself was created by content creators employed by my company.

There is a difference between purchasing a chair in a shop in SL versus hiring someone to create custom content for you under a legally binding agreement that details a rights transfer or Work for Hire agreement.

I'm not talking about ripping a chair you got for a hundred L$ from a Gatcha machine, but about something else entirely. Your insinuations are so off base that your post cracked me up rather than offending me. I understand completely your concern about copybot, as I am someone who makes her real-life living from this IP. I'm not the droid you're looking for.

Kim Anubis wrote:

Griffin, ithe current policy is a hindrance to many who would like to export content to which they legitimately own appropriate intellectual property rights, or which they have built in collaboration with others, even when they have signed, hard copy, real-life contracts to demonstrate their rights.

And how is LL to differentiate between who allegedly has such rights and who is just ripping content? Who's going to do all this vetting? They're not going to review your contracts for you...

But let's say they did and you get the go-ahead to work around this "hindrance". What's to stop you from exporting content that you don't have rights to?

And do you honestly think LL would be able to keep viewers that basically ignore the permissions system out of the hands of the "bad guys" if they allowed just some people to use them?

There is a difference between purchasing a chair in a shop in SL versus hiring someone to create custom content for you under a legally binding agreement that details a rights transfer or Work for Hire agreement.

Custom content can be sent outside of SL so the client can upload it wherever they choose. No need to involve LL at all. Given all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the current TOS, one would think that would be a more attractive option.

Relaxing the policy on content-exporting viewers is not an option at all. I would say you're probably in the minority among content creators in thinking it's a "hindrance".

Griffin, I mentioned the policy that might hinder someone from exporting content because it was information the OP should know, based on questions he (or she?) was asking. It would be useful for Rstan to be aware of something like this before he buys content or has it built. And I also told him to mention to any developer he hires in advance if he wants to have the ability to export his content. That's really important, too, because along with the developer needing to prepare things for that eventuality, they also are going to need to include it in their contract.

LL had policies and tools for clearing IP for export during the Enterprise program. They had big plans along those lines at the time. It's not only a realistic possibility, but is actually also something that the Lab was able to do in the past. I don't think a modified viewer similar to copybot is the right way to do it -- I think the Lab was already on the right track.

I know all about exporting content in pieces -- have done plenty of it. I can tell you haven't done much of it, or you would be a little less flippant about it. We don't seem to be talking about the same thing. You are thinking about Jerky The Anonymous Thief stealing a pair of shoes using copybot. I'm thinking about an educational institution or corporation contracting with the Lab for the service of exporting entire regions of complex content. The Enterprise export (for example) involved real world contracts with real, traceable, prosecutable names on it and fees that I doubt a copybotter would be likely to dig from their couch cushions. That sort of solution is easier to manage, and is a step on the way to something more accessible.

Anyway, I am not talking about copybot or modified viewers, and I am not free to tell you the details of how the Enterprise exports worked, so you will just have to use your imagination for that and maybe find an actual copybot proponent to debate.

Have a nice evening. :-)

(Edited to clean up a few of the most egregious typos. I bet I still missed some, too, but it is late. G'night!)

There's a related question. Can my teacher teach children if she has child avatar and her avatar will be stay in my office - moderate area with guard system which doesn't let anyone go to come there. A child or children won''t have own avatars and just sit near teacher beside a computer.

Rstan wrote:

There's a related question. Can my teacher teach children if she has child avatar and her avatar will be stay in my office - moderate area with guard system which doesn't let anyone go to come there. A child or children won''t have own avatars and just sit near teacher beside a computer.

Your questions sound like you would assume that the ToS from Second Life would cover any of that. This is not the case. Its completely up to you if you allow a child sitting next to you while being in Second Life. There are no regulations for that and it does not matter what avatar the teacher uses or what sim they are visiting.

But I'm going to make English learning center and want to know regulations about this matter. I want to have special place to teach children in SL and that's why I'm going to have own OpenSim server too.

Rstan wrote:

But I'm going to make English learning center and want to know regulations about this matter. I want to have special place to teach children in SL and that's why I'm going to have own OpenSim server too.

I'm not quite clear on what you are going to be doing.  Are the children just watching over your shoulder?  Or will they be on their own computers operating  Ava's?  You don't mention what age group.  Generally when someone says 'children' I think under 12 years old.

I'll give my personal opinion on how I'd react to all this.

I'd say NO if you asked me if you could do it.

Linden Lab has strict rules in place regarding Minors (Under 18) in SL and anything that doesn't follow those rules would give the appearance of skirting the rules.  They are not going to start making exceptions to these rules.

Linden Lab does not allow for anyone under the age of 13 in SL, not even for the Educational Institutions that are registerred with them.  The Child On Line Protection Act has strict rules regarding children 12 and under registerring with any web site and there is no way in hell LL would ever want to begin messing with this.  http://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/rules/rulemaking-regulatory-reform-proceedings/childrens-online-privacy-protection-rule

For Minors age 13 to 17 they state their rules here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Second_Life_Education/FAQs

On an Official Basis they are not going to deviate from this.

So even if all you were doing was letting the children watch over your shoulder I doubt you'd get an official response saying it was OK.  And if you were allowing the Children to operate the Ava's, I think LL would ask you to cease and desist. Officially they are not going to make an exception for you.

The above is my opinion but it is how I would respond if you were to ask me.

Rstan wrote:

I mean my teacher will have a children avi, and child will just sit near her beside PC not has own avi

I already explained that to you. All ToS regulations about children are about real life children having their own accounts. Child avatars are not seen as real children. The only limitation for child avatars is, that they are not allowed to participate in sexual activities.

And I already said, that its not necessary for your teacher to have a child avatar in order to teach children.

Rstan wrote:

I mean my teacher will have a children avi, and child will just sit near her beside PC not has own avi

You have asked us our opinion regarding Official Policy and of course the replies here you are going to get are our opinions regarding the Policies.

Linden Lab has very specific rules concerning EDUCATORS and CHILDREN in SL and on an Official Basis they are not going to deviate from them.  http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Second_Life_Education/FAQs#I_have_students_that_are_under_18_years_old.3F_Can_I_use_Second_Life.3F

Similar to this the issue of Parents and Children has come up in the past in this Forum.

I have a friend who had virtual pets on her Private SIM.  She would, under supervision, let her 6 year old daughter play with them.  No one else was allowed on the SIM when she would do this.  Personally I have no problem with this.  And if you were to ask Linden Lab they might say, "We don't have a problem with this," but in reality what I do believe they would say is, "That we do not condone or support this."  They are not going to start stating exceptions to the rules.

If you are going to run an Educational Venture in SL, then you need to follow the rules.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.