How many accounts can we have for one corporate e-mail

Rstan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a small business in Rl, and I and my staff are going to use SL for our RL education business.  We are going to have SL meetings where everyone has own avatar, but I want to register all of them to my email, because all ot them is my property and I just give it to my staff for working. May I attach some accounts to one email?

But I'm not going to sell or gift avatars, I want to use them for my business and all employees will have own accounts. But they will be  my property, because It's my business. I'm going to make educational center with teachers in it and other participants for our virtual imaginations. How can I do it?

Terms of Service, section 4.1 says:

"You may not sell, transfer or assign your Account or its contractual rights, licenses and obligations, to any third party without the prior written consent of Linden Lab."

So the only thing what you can do, without breaking the rules, is to ask directly from Linden Lab will they agree to this kind of very strange arrangement what you want to do.

If you as their employer tells them to make an account then why a) would they not be interested in doing that as it directly relates to their job and b) be a waste of time? Signing up for an account doesn't take a lot of time at all.

4.1 You must establish an account to use certain aspects of the Service, using true and accurate registration information.

Except for certain Linden Software or portions of the Websites which Linden Lab allows users to access without registration, you must establish an Account with Linden Lab to use the Service. You agree to provide accurate, current and complete information about yourself as prompted by the registration form ("Registration Data") and to use the account management tools provided to keep your Registration Data accurate, current and complete.

You may establish an Account with Registration Data provided to Linden Lab by a third party who provides a gateway to our Service through the use of an API, in which case you may have a separate, additional account relationship with such third party. This relationship in no way modifies, lessens or alters your obligations under this Terms of Service. Access to the Service through third parties may be available or discontinued at the discretion of Linden Lab. You acknowledge that Linden Lab is not liable for the acts or omissions of such third parties, which are not the partner or representative of Linden Lab or endorsed or controlled by Linden Lab.

Depending upon your age, registration may require parental consent. The Service’s practices governing any resulting collection and use of your personal information are disclosed in our Privacy Policy. Your decision to provide this information is purely voluntary and optional; however, if you elect not to provide it, then you may not be able to access certain Content or participate in certain features of the Service.

You may not sell, transfer or assign your Account or its contractual rights, licenses and obligations, to any third party without the prior written consent of Linden Lab.

http://lindenlab.com/tos#tos4

To accomplish what you want, you will need to use the Registration API.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Registration_API

You would then have your employees, etc, register through your Web Site.

The reason for this is that LL still requires that each person accessing SL individually agrees to the TOS.  But this will then give you some control over those accounts activities.

Someone who is involved in Education in SL would be better suited to help you with this.

thanks for your answers, I need time to learn terms of services and your messages, because I'm not well enough in English and can't understand correctly all at once. 

I heard about OpenSim technology and going to have own OpenSim server that works localy without Internet access, and only sometimes to connect with SL for contact with foreigners. May I discuss about OpenSim Server anywhere here?

Rstan wrote:

thanks for your answers, I need time to learn terms of services and your messages, because I'm not well enough in English and can't understand correctly all at once. 

I heard about OpenSim technology and going to have own OpenSim server that works localy without Internet access, and only sometimes to connect with SL for contact with foreigners. May I discuss about OpenSim Server anywhere here?

Technically these Forums are for discussing Second Life but sometimes other Services do get discussed here.

Rstan wrote:

My employeers aren't interested in making their own accounts.

I know several people that aren't permitted to have Facebook (or other social media) accounts as a condition of their employment.

If registration of a Second Life account (as a condition of their employment) doesn't pique their interest... find better employees.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

If registration of a Second Life account (as a condition of their employment) doesn't pique their interest... find better employees.

no, I like idea of using API, beside I'm not going to use SL for my business and going to change it for using own OpenSim server.

Each person in your business must register for their own account and they must each use a distinct valid email address when they register for SL. Some email services allow you to create a group email account, each person has their own name on the email address but the address itself (after the @ sign) is your business name and this is hosted by the specific email service. This way you are all connected through the business email but you each have a distinct account.

It's like JohnShmo@mybusiness.nit , JaneDoe@mybusiness.nit, etc... but it's hosted under a popular email service.

If you insist on using SL as opposed to other web meeting software, you can do the following.

Rent a small parcel of private land with a security feature, create a group with closed enrollment, then only allow group members (your employees) onto the land. You can then conduct meetings in SL with your employees.

Clarification, this is in reply to the original poster. Sorry, I'm lazy and just hit reply rather than than reply on the original posters post.

You can't connect your own open sim to SL btw. But to answer your original question, you can have 5 avis per email address. You might think about setting up bots. That might serve your purpose better. Not sure how many bots you can have to an account though. They are usually used by vendors to model what they sell, but they might very well work for what you have in mind.

As for setting up their appearance, check out Fab Free http://fabfree.wordpress.com/fabfree-30-days-list/ Lots of free stuff for new residents that can give you a decent avatar without spending a lot of money. Females are easier to set up than males btw Lots of free stuff around for females, not so much for males.

As others have pointed out, you cannot have multiple accounts on one email. However, there are two ways:

1. If each employee has an email account at you busines, use each employee's email address.

2. If not, create the desired number of email accounts at gmail or other free service (yourbusinessname.emplyname@gmail.com)

Rembember that each employee will then own the SL account, even if you provide the service of setting it up.

A few random thoughts here.

If I understand what you are wanting, because these accounts will represent your business you want to maintain control of them.  I can understand that.  Linden Lab maintains control of all its employees Linden Accounts.

To be safe about this I would contact Linden Lab.  However, we do not know how they will respond.

I am reluctant to post this in case the Linden Lawyers are reading but what is interesting is what the TOS does not say.  Normally when you read assignment clauses in contracts they use the phrase "assign or delegate."  They are legal words with specific legal meanings.  They don't mean the same thing.  And  "Delegate" is not mentioned or prohibited.

In other words I can call up my sister, ask her to log into my account and do something for me such as buy or sell Linden Dollars.  I can delegate that task to her.  However I am still responsible for any thing she does while logged in.  The TOS is very specific to remind us of that.  (You do get into a discussion about when does delegating actually equal assigning but every case is decided on its own merits).

Disclaimer:  I Am Not A Lawyer.  This was just some Business Law 101 stuff.

I'll appreciate all of participants of this discussion. This information is very useful for me. I'll learn agreement  that is called -  terms of service. And If I have any other questions, I'll come back here again.

You can use an API and make your employees registser for their account through your website and have them rez in world on your sim.  You can also restrict the accounts from leaving your sim or accessing search, or communication with the regular resident population.  You can close your sim so no regular SL residents can go there.  You don't need a full sim, you can rent a homestead sim to use for this purpose, unless you need the 15000 prims that come with a full sim.

If you do this you can make your employees sign an agreement in RL that they can only use their accounts for your business.

Of course this doesn't prevent your employee from creating another normal account to use on their own.

Open sim maybe a solution, but keep in mind that it comes with zero content.  You have to provide everything, including any buildings, furnishings, landscaping, etc. plus any clothing, skins, shapes etc that an avatar needs.  Open Sim does not come with these,  All you will get is flat bare land.  You can hire people to provide the content if this is the way you want to go.

Rstan wrote:

but I heard something about import things in openSim from SL. How can I make it. If there are any gates between SL and OpenSim server?

The only content you can export legally (without violating copyright) out of SL is content you make yourself.

Any other content you would have to make separate arrangements with the creator.

Rstan wrote:

but I heard something about import things in openSim from SL. How can I make it. If there are any gates

between SL and OpenSim server?

As Perrie explained you can't export things from SL to Open Sim unless they are entirely your creation.'

There are building tools available in Open SIm just like in SL.  An experienced builder that from SL can go there and build your buildings and furniture etc.  They can upload their own creations, textures and scripts to use.  You will need someone that is experienced in open sim scripts as they are a bit different to write than in SL.

Open Sim does not come with the starter avatars that SL offers,  The avatars it comes with look like the first avatars did in SL, rather cartoonish.  For items to put an avatar together like those in SL, you'd have to hire people that specialize in these things to make them for you unless you can arrange with someone in SL that makes them to go to your sim and upload the files for them for you.  You would need them to be copy/transfer to distribute to your employees. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.