Music Streaming Problem - is there a way to do this?

Ziggy21 Slade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hey all,

I have just whipped up a 2 hour megamix of cheesy christmas music to play in my store, but I have a few minor troubles playing it out. I have mixed the tracks together so its wonderfully seamless.

I can keep it as 1 huge file but then if two people arrive at different times they will be hearing different things or I can split it up into say 5 minute chunks so the tracks are still mixed and play it through my MP3 player thingy, trouble is this way I get a little gap as it switches to the next track.

I know I am being a bit anal about it, but is there a way I can do this better?

9 answers to this question

Use a free Shoutcast account to broadcast it from Winamp on your desktop. Follow the instructions from shoutcast.com, they've got the download links and all instructions there. Then, set the radio URL of your About Land, Media tab to the Shoutcast URL of your account. This will stream your playlist into your store.

• Like 1

I've found that Winamp does do a good job, but it does leave a small gap between tracks. For completely seemless streaming you would need a piece of software called SAM Broadcaster. However, that's not cheap. If i remember right, it costs somewhere in the region of $300 (thats US, not L$).

Although it's it's pre-mixed & saved off as 1 file. Winamp should be able to cope nicely

That is a matter of "how to stream music in SL". There's a huge number of guides of "how to do it" in world, just drop by any shoutcast rental store and there you'll find guides on how to stream music in your parcel using the most popular encoders (the programs you use to transmit music from your comp, being the most popular winamp, SAM and Virtual DJ).

However, and to cut it short, if you use an encoder to stream music on your parcel (and using the media settings of SL), you'll transmit the piese as you'd hear it on your comp, so if it's just a block of 2 hours, it'll be 2 full hours sounding on your store.

Sending you a guide of how to stream with winamp in-world, and Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas to you Emma,

Thanks all for the replies, just to reiterate, I know how to stream music to my parcel, my problem is as stated above and below.

One big track means people arriving at different times will hear different things (hoping some of my chums will hang around for a bit you see)

Lots of little tracks means lots of little gaps.

Will check out the software mentioned, anymore good ideas gratefully accepted.

Actually SAM could be the one as it has a free 14 day trial YAY!

Also from the SAM website...

Easy payment plan

Purchase SAM Broadcaster with our easy-payment-plan! 3 installments of $99.00 per month. With each payment you will receive a key that extends your SAM Broadcaster license for another 35 days. After 3 payments you receive a FULL SAM Broadcaster key that will never expire.

I wish more software companies would do that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.