Is it abuse to be a male in RL playing a female avatar in SL?

Deanna Moonwall

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

"If there is a male in real life playing a female in second life, what actions by this female avatar could be considered abuse?"

If that is the criteria, the answer is zero.  Unless they're wearing white past labour day or something.

Roleplaying different genders isn't an 'action' that's against the ToS or Community Guidelines, and thank god or there would be no Rocky Horror Picture Show events.

Considering the founder of Second Life, Phillip Rosedale has often been seen in a female avatar I would say it would be a resounding no. Thank goodness for that as I am a human in RL and I am often seen in a tiger avatar in game and sometimes even a merman tigershark. I think the point of SL is to explore being someone or something you are not in real life. Finding out the sexy hoochie mamma you have been dropping lindens on all night at the strip club is a 300lbs truckdriver named Phil in real life is not their problem but yours.

Actually when I was new to SL I knew a woman DJ who was totally awesome; when I found out in time she was a he I was soooo blown away.  Did I think it was against the ToS or anything as extreme... no... but I can see where if someone's totally new is does come as a suprise.

We don't know the whole story either, depending on how the OP found out she might be rightfully offended - example if the truth was revealed at say a lesbian club where guys are expressly not allowed to be at.  Besides, this is the place to ask... better they find out 'no harm, no foul' here than filing an AR cause they don't know any differently.

Of course it isn't abuse. From Second Life web What is Second Life?:

In a virtual world, an avatar is a digital persona that you can createand customize. It's you — only in 3D. You can create an avatar thatresembles your real life or create an alternate identity. The onlylimit is your imagination. Who do you want to be?

Create and customize your own digital 3D persona, also known as youravatar. Be a fashion diva, a business-savvy entrepreneur, or a robot -or all three. Changing identities is quick and easy, so if you tire ofyour avatar's outfit or body, shop for a new one in Second Life or fromyour web browser. Then switch it in seconds.

Samson.McLeod wrote:

Unless they're wearing white past labour day or something.

One must remember to confirm that they aren't from south of the equator before filing this particular grievance.

Or indeed that they aren't on the 95% of the globe that isn't called USA.

But the wearing of white socks by a male (whether in SL or especially in RL) is always an abuse (of taste if not the TOS).

Hi Deanna

The answer is, of course, no...however...

I have know of men pretending to be RL women here..and having relationships...one I know really hurt another woman..by pretending to be a female and having a lesbian relationship with her..in voice too..disguised..so she really thought it was a woman she was talking to...

This is the only kind of abuse that I can think of ... but it is bad..very bad.

Soozie.Nirpaw wrote:

I have know of men pretending to be RL women here..and having relationships...one I know really hurt another woman..by pretending to be a female and having a lesbian relationship with her..in voice too..disguised..so she really thought it was a woman she was talking to...

This is the only kind of abuse that I can think of ... but it is bad..very bad.

That might be considered unethical or immoral but is it abuse according to the terms of the TOS? I don't think do.

Abuse is abuse.  Abuse knows no gender.

When entering into Second Life, the first truth to grasp and embrace is, "Anything is possible".  The second is "Presume nothing".  Not every resident is going to reflect their RL gender, appearance, race or even species.  If this creates a problem for you - i.e., falling for a beautiful female or handsome male avatar who may be the opposite gender in RL, then I would strongly advise you against romantic advances.

It is not "abuse" to be a particular gender, or to portray one.  While everyone's experience in SL is different, a very common thread is that of role-playing.

You do have a point. However after reading your reply to my reply, I decided to perv her profile. She is not a noob, which means she should know better; unless she has something against men who play as women and vise versa. LOL

Perhaps if we did know the backstory to the proposed question it would help.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.