Jump to content

Land With Restricted Access


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

It would be useful if there was a limit to how high such an area's exclusion zone extends, and/or a lower limit to how long before an intruder is ejected. Once I was on a fast high-altitude overflight to get between places, and during this I hit a restricted access area with zero time tolerance, and I was summarily ejected far from my route to a place called Mauve. I do not see how I can infringe or annoy anyone's privacy by quickly overflying several hundred meters overhead :: in the real world I must tolerate airliners flying over my house and garden.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In SL, that might be my house up there at 1000m up were you're zipping about.

In the real world, if I could build a skybox, you can bet rules over airspace would be a lot different.

 

My suggestion is that if you're flying too fast to be able to pay attention in time - avoid heights above 1000m that are even divisions of 500, and below 1000m, avoid heights are even divisions of 100.

- Not for any policy reason, but because if you explore around SL, you're going to find that most people build their skyboxes to heights of large round numbers.

The number of folks who have skybox builds at 2732.37m up however, is rather small. And the number of them with skyboxes at 183m is also small.

But at 500m, its a traffic jam, and at 1000m, its like walking the streets of downtown Seoul Korea.

 

There's nothing you can do about what other people put on their land and where they restrict, so just start paying attention to common build heights in the places you enjoy flying through.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pilots of aircraft and sailors have no right to enter private land unless the owner allows it.  I myself allow it on my land, because i sail and fly,  However not everyone does and therefore they aren't as sympathetic. The TOS allows landowners, unless on a private estate and restricted by the covenant, to decide who may have access to their land and all air above it.  It is their right as they are the ones paying.

While you may not be disturbing people on the ground flying over them, if someone has a skybox or platform they may want privacy.  There is no such thing in RL so you can't compare the two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If your just hitting ban lines it's land height plus 50m, try flying over one and stop flying it's like a trampoline.  if you listed on the ban list it's land height plus 5000m. if your hitting a security orb it can be where ever they don't want you.

Besides the privacy issues when your flying over some ones land in a vehicle your all so using their prim count, if the parcel dose not have enough prims left for you to cross you all so get stopped, there nothing requiring people to leave extra free prims to allow other people to fly through their land.

Flying some where unknown SL always has it's risk.  For safer long distance travel over the main land I tend to fallow open water roads and railways.

I've never used one but I believe there are huds that might help spot some of the possible troubles ahead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


phaedra Exonar wrote:

Besides the privacy issues when your flying over some ones land in a vehicle your all so using their prim count, if the parcel dose not have enough prims left for you to cross you all so get stopped, there nothing requiring people to leave extra free prims to allow other people to fly through their land.

That's not quite how it works, though. Objects that are sat-upon (such as vehicles) come from a separate allotment of prims (or "land impact") that's not part of the 15,000 allocated across all land in a region. These objects are treated more like attachments -- another category of prims that the sim must manage but aren't allocated to particular parcels.

There was a longstanding bug (maybe fixed now?) where the special treatment for sat-upon objects would fail if the object crossed a region boundary into a parcel with insufficient prims. Those would get returned, but only because of that bug, not by design.

Of course, all bets are off if the landowner ejects the avatar sitting on the vehicle. Then it's not a vehicle anymore -- nobody's sitting on it -- so it becomes debris as if somebody moved the object onto the parcel. It's likely to get auto-returned or otherwise removed, or just add to the prim count of the parcel. (Similarly, in the case of land that doesn't allow avatar entry, ridden vehicles bumping into those restrictions below 50m AGL will become debris in the neighbor's parcel -- another reason those banlines are so aggressively hostile to neighbors.)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Pussycat Catnap wrote:

In SL, that might be my house up there at 1000m up were you're zipping about.

In the real world, if I could build a skybox, you can bet rules over airspace would be a lot different.

 

My suggestion is that if you're flying too fast to be able to pay attention in time - avoid heights above 1000m that are even divisions of 500, and below 1000m, avoid heights are even divisions of 100.

- Not for any policy reason, but because if you explore around SL, you're going to find that most people build their skyboxes to heights of large round numbers.

The number of folks who have skybox builds at 2732.37m up however, is rather small. And the number of them with skyboxes at 183m is also small.

But at 500m, its a traffic jam, and at 1000m, its like walking the streets of downtown Seoul Korea.

 

There's nothing you can do about what other people put on their land and where they restrict, so just start paying attention to common build heights in the places you enjoy flying through.

 

Oh thanks pussycat.

/me quickly moves my platform from 2732.37m to another height that is the result of multiplying 2 prime numbers together - :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4096m

If you want unrestricted flight, fly above 5100m. That's outside security scanner range. At most heights, you can't see what you're flying over, so there's no reason not to fly above 5100m, if you're not interested in seeing stuff below.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


CaptainJack Grauman wrote:

Is it known what is the highest that any skybox or other off-the-ground structure is above the ground?

The biggest skybox that I have found was a public-access Star-Trek-themed garment and gun etc shop.

 

The maximum build hight is 4096 meters.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits

I don't normally fly around that high but I have seen some things way up there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


CaptainJack Grauman wrote:

Is it known what is the highest that any skybox or other off-the-ground structure is above the ground?

The biggest skybox that I have found was a public-access Star-Trek-themed garment and gun etc shop.

 

The highest rezzing height is theoretically 4096 m

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...