Sign in to follow this  
CaptainJack Grauman

Railways

In my explorations of the Second Life world, I sometimes come across railways. In "SLRR, Plusia" I found a large railway station. On a wall by the track in the station is a big map of a railway system on one of the main SL continents. That railway system goes across many sims owned or rented by many people. When a long railway is set up, how does the railway maker get power to lay track across many people's sims on the way? Compare the enabling Acts of Parliament that railway builders needed in Britain in the real world: see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Railway_Acts .

Similarly with long motor-vehicle roads?

CaptainJack Grauman wrote:

In my explorations of the Second Life world, I sometimes come across railways. In "SLRR, Plusia" I found a large railway station. On a wall by the track in the station is a big map of a railway system on one of the main SL continents. That railway system goes across many sims owned or rented by many people. When a long railway is set up, how does the railway maker get power to lay track across many people's sims on the way? Compare the enabling Acts of Parliament that railway builders needed in Britain in the real world: see

Similarly with long motor-vehicle roads?

There's a Linden Department of Public Works that has contractors (called "Moles") who do work like the roads and railroads. There are Linden-owned rights of way under the roads and railroads - I think, at least for newer continents, the road right-of-ways were determined before most of the land was sold initially.

In this case I think it's the other way around more or less. SLRR is owned by LL and is placed on LindenLand. I think when you are on a railroad and you check the land properties you will see it is owned by some Linden department, something like Linden Public Works. So the land owned or rented by residents is around the rail road, in stead of the rail road running across.

*Edit* someone typed faster then me :matte-motes-big-grin:

Greetings, CaptainJack

Unlike real life, where the government in real life may compulsorily purchase land it wishes to build railway tracks on (and I am so against HS2 by the way), the others in this thread are correct when they say that the railway tracks, highways and canals in Second Life were all laid out and are permanently owned by Linden Lab (although some of the Blake Sea sims are managed by groups of residents alongside Linden Lab). 

If you open the world map, you can clearly see where these railways and roads are laid out - or if there is no road or railway built there already, you can see what looks like a rough track, and if you teleport into said rough track, you will find it owned by Linden Lab.  Indeed, if you turn on "view property lines" option, you will always see a zig zag line bordering the roads and railways that are owned, and always have been owned, by Linden Lab.

CaptainJack Grauman wrote:

In the real world, the HS2 planned route goes under the bottom of my garden :: luckily 100 feet underground.

That's still too close for comfort as far as I'm concerned (I live in an area blighted by ongoing mining subsidence problems!).

Had to search up what 'HS2' referred to.

Wanted to add to this that some railways are owned by residents of SL, who have either set them on their own personal courses in islocation, or connected them to the linden made ones.

There's methods in the LSL scripting language for making a vehicle specifically to work with the railroad system instead of normal vehicle movement.

I've not heard much from SL railroad folks in a long time, but it used to be something of a 'power community' that appeared to have good contacts inside the company.

Hello CaptainJack,

In answer to your question. I think it was a matter of lack of funding. The WARR Railline was totaly privatly funded. Unlike the SLRR infrastructure that is paid for and maintained by Linden Lab / LDPW.

It is saidly not posible to "jump" or "teleport" from one track to the next. Unless you script the train to do that. For example you could make an object like a train to move within a sim pretty easely. But don't ask me, I am not a scripter :).

If you have more Railroad related questions you can always join one of the Rail groups and ask inworld via IM.

With railways, how realistic must they be? In SL, if someone crossed a sea strait by laying the track on the seabed, going underwater in SL is not subject to the hazards of real-world water (drowning, floating away, wave action, motors getting flooded).

Well now theres an idea. :matte-motes-agape: On the basis that you can do what you like on private land the railway can be as realistic looking or as un-realistic looking as you like.

Technicly you only need the "invisible" center guide rail to run trains like the Free VRC Hobo Train. Other considerations of a underwater track would be to leave enough clearance for physical boats to pass freely overhead.

Visually you could perhaps build something like a glass tube tunnel.

That is sadly true. But do not let that stop you from using the resorces that Linden Labs made available.

As for the railroad, just pick up one of the Free Trains or buy a nice one on Marketplaqce and go drive the 100+ sims with tacks on them from either Linden Lab or one privatly onwed branches.

A good place to start your railroad journey is Tuliptree. Or read about the URLS on SL Wiki http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/List_Of_Railways or http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Second_Life_Railroad

I tend to drive around the mainland a good bit, even have myself a nice big roadside and waterside parcel in Hachiman, and I must say I see a few people driving by occasionally. The railways are a different story, since a lot of people genuinely don't know how they work, and getting a good train to use on them isn't necessarily the easiest task. On top of that, scripting something like a boat aor a car is much easier, so the market is more flooded with such. It is still good fun when it can be done, though.