Secondlife Emerald viewer

Lone Jacobs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have both clients {Regular and Emerald}     but the emerald  client stutters.  regular movement for 1 seconds and stop for 1 second then it repeats.  ( Imagine pumping the gas  and break every second in your car and taht i what it is doing.)    Is anyone having this issue and if so what do i do to fix it?

Emerald Viewer 1.23.5 (1101) Dec  1 2009 05:32:35 (Emerald Viewer)
Release Notes

Built with MSVC version 1400

You are at 173401.1, 234002.8, 123.6 in Mont Saint Michel located at sim4057.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.52.215:13001)
Second Life Server 1.34.0.140927
Release Notes

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 Northwood (2193 MHz)
Memory: 1023 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce 6200/PCI/SSE2
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 6.14.0011.9562
OpenGL Version: 2.1.2

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.18.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8j zlib/1.2.3
J2C Decoder Version: KDU
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
LLMozLib Version: - 2.01.29058 (Mozilla GRE version 1.8.1.21_0000000000)
Packets Lost: 5/45752 (0.0%)

i have DSL  6.0 Mbs

I have both clients {Regular and Emerald}     but the emerald  client stutters.

me too i have the same issue exept i CRASH. for the last few days...well week i keep crashing with emerald but when i log on regular SL i am fine and move fine. maybe someone can help me with this issue to.

Emerald has run flawlessly on my machine. Right now I have 2 windows going. My specs are:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Series Processor (3000 MHz)
Memory: 2047 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation (8800GTS)

(From the statistics console)

fps:71.5, bandwidth: between 8 and 20 kbps with music playing

It looks like you are running an older machine. You might not be able to run the optimized version on it, but that is just a guess. I suggest you take your question either to the Modular Systems website or the inworld group(Greenlife Emerald Users and Coders) . You'll have a definitive answer very quickly there.

• Like 1

If you have not already I would try to find a group for emerald inworld, im or email the source of the emerald client.

I seriously doubt you will find any help in these forums.

You could try making sure all your drivers are the absolute latest versions. Then try earlier versions that you know worked. Video is the main culprit normally. If Emerald ever worked correctly look at what you have changed since then. If you havent changed anything it is possibly the client, your not the only one having this problem.

you're better off asking about Emerald on the Emerald forums where some of the users have been using Emerald since its birth. but on that old card you have, one suggestion is to disable all the eye candy you can, another is to keep the draw distance as low as you can, another is, on the graphics tab, with the custom checkbox ticked, go into the hardware options and disable vertex buffer objects. my card is the next generation up from yours (nvidia 7300 GS) and it still has trouble with VBO.  also grab the latest nvidia driver if you haven't already.

after you've done all that, enable the Advanced menu, open the debug settings, and set VectorizeEnable and VectorizeSkin to TRUE.  also on the Advanced menu, go to Rendering > Run Multiple Threads and enable that.  if your machine can take advantage of that it will, if it can't it won't hurt anything.

and i think i will disagree with using the Normal as opposed to the Optimized version.  if you can run the Optimized version at all, that means your processor supports the SSE2 instruction set.  the Normal version is for processors that only support SSE.

there is also a snowglobe-emerald hybrid in the downloads on the Emerald page.  it was crashtastic on my machine but it's an option.

Lone.Jacobs wrote:

i have  no other issues in any other game.  what is the experimental renderers ?   i am confused now.

You have a shitty connection, it may be fast but it might not be stable. Also, Second Life is vey graphic intense and you are using a very old card. Not just old, but when that card was still very new it was very low grade. The 6200 was meant for light buisness use, not streaming OpenGL at 60 FPS

i have logged in two accounts to the same viewer and mine lags and thiers does not.  so its not my computer.....it somethign else. i have changed all setings  the EXACT same thing.   still lagging.   others are having this issue too with no answers.   i just  dont get it. 

Lone, if you use the same computer, the same router/connection, the same Viewer with identical settings, in exactly the same place on the Grid and one Avatar (account) lags and another Avatar doesn't, then

It's either something the Avatar is wearing, attachment or HUD, or the Avatar Inventory Cache.

Right click on your Avatar and select Detach All or

From the viewer menu, select Edit > Detach Object and select all the objects from the drop-down     list.

Open     your Inventory window then type (worn in the search bar. Locate the     objects, right click  and select detach.

Access and wear a default avatar.

Step 1: Display Advanced menu

The Advanced menu contains useful but entirely optional settings for Second Life Residents. See this article for details on how to make the Advanced menu appear.

Step 2: Choose Test Male or Test Female

1. Go to Advanced > Character > Character Tests.
  2. Choose either Test Male or Test Female.

Clear the Cache from Outside Second Life You can check the Disk Cache location from the login screen Edit > Preferences > Network.

Note: settings change per Avatar, to do a true comparison,

Completely uninstall all Viewers, saving any chat logs, if you wish. How do I fully uninstall and reinstall Second Life? Please make sure all the Cache (different Viewers have different Cache locations), User Settings and content of any Temporary folders are also deleted.

Shut down your computer. Unplug your router for one minute and then plug it back in.

Then download the latest Viewer Second Life Version Number: 1.23.5 (136262) Oct 14 2009 12:08:26 (Second Life Release) from here Second Life® Installer, save the programme to your Desktop and install.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

ok your system sounds very similar to my own i run Snow emerald and i am 100% fine try that it is available from the main emerald D/L site its worth a go at the bottom of the page is the snowglobe version

http://modularsystems.sl/downloads.html

Emerald is an awesome viewer i had problems with the main viewer similar to those that you had the only noticable difference with the main Emerald viewer and snow emerald is that in minimap it doesn't say the distance of any avatars around you but i haven't really looked into any other differences there may be more i hope this helps you

Message was edited by: wingnut Deerhunter just to re- iterate here is my specs

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 Northwood (3086 MHz)  Memory: 1535 MB  OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)  Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.  Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 9550 / X1050 Series  Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.541-080923a-069992C-ATI  OpenGL Version: 2.1.8086 Release

Yes it does sound like a Graphic card issue. I have a 4month old pc. With Nividia 9600GT 512mb. I have no issues but told others about emerald. They tried it on lesser cards like u have and had issues. They went back to SL viewer and do just fine. Maybe as some suggested trying SnowGlobe or another be the speed you need. But there is a non optimized Emerald to use also. I never tried it because never had to use it.

this is my specs if anyone can help me cause i either run REAL slowwww or i CRASH and this just started to happen

CPU: Intel Pentium III/Pentium III Xeon (0.25 micron process) with external L2 cache (1994 MHz)
Memory: 3067 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.512-080703a-066874C-Dell
OpenGL Version: 2.1.7769 Release

HELPPPPP

Hello Fabi,

OpenGL Version: 2.1.7769 Release

The latest version of Graphics Card drivers from ATI is Catalyst 9.11 released 11/17/09 OpenGL Version 2.1.9115

Check with your computer manufacturer for any updates.

Also see  Reducing lag and How do I check for packet loss (network lag)?

• Make sure your computer meets all of the Minimum System Requirements. It's best to exceed them in order to prevent bottlenecks, since the minimum system requirements are the minimum hardware required to run Second Life at all. A slower processor, older video card, or low memory can contribute to low framerates.
  • Make sure you have the latest drivers for your video card.
  • Take a look at the graphics settings in the Preferences window if you haven't already. Try moving the Quality and Performance slider to Low.
  • Check to see if your hard drive light is showing a lot of activity. If it is, then your system may be running low on memory and using hard drive swap space instead, which is significantly slower.
  • Make sure your Internet connection meets Second Life's minimum system requirements.
  • If you're using wireless networking, you should try troubleshooting with a direct wired connection; we allow, but do not support the use of wirless network connections.
  • You might need to turn your bandwidth settings down in the Preferences window if your computer is receiving more network data than it can handle.
  • Try teleporting to a quieter area, or one with fewer objects, to see if the situation improves.
  • You might also read our Statistics Guide to verify that the problem is low frame rate (Basic FPS in the Statistics window).
  • If this happens consistently after a certain period of time (like a few minutes), it's likely there's other software on your computer (firewall or internet security software) that's disconnecting Second Life.

Before you log in, Clear the Cache from Outside Second Life You can check the Disk Cache location from the login screen Edit > Preferences > Network. Log into Region Pooley or Aqua, see Changing your login location and let your Inventory fully load.

Hope this helps

Good point and thank you sooo much. i will go to ATI's website and update my driver i am assuming that is the problem, it has to be...when i got the PC about 2 months ago i told the manufacturers rep i need the PC primarily for SL matter of fact i returned another one that was too slow for SL and got this one he assured the video card is good for SL so yes...you're right i may need a new one since i got the PC right before the new version was released i guess i was too hype on getting a new PC i got it a week before they released window 7 smh lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.