Sign in to follow this  
Jolene Merlin

Alpha Layering Textures

Greetings all...

I am wondering if anyone knows of how or where I can obtain various alpha layers that I can apply over full perm textures that I buy in SL?   I have a lot of texture packs that I've bought for me builds, and sometimes I will download them to my HDD and tweak them a little with a program called paint.net...

For example I buya  texture set with a lot of decent but old looking, decayed urban Wall textures; but I want to add a little of my own personal touch to them before I use them on my build, which then in turn gives my build that much more of a personal touch to it as well.

So what I am looking for are ways to add mold, cracks, layers of rust that can be added to metallic textures...

Plenty of awesome texture sets out there, but nothing like a decent set of alpha layering that can be added... and I really haven't the faintest idea of how to do stuff like that, or even how to get it or where to find it!

Any suggestions?

Oh here is a good example...

I recently bought a nice set of alpha layer textures of Hanging Spanish Moss... which I can then use in the paint.net program to physically add it over another texture like a brick wall for example.. and then make it all into a single texture that I can then upload back into SL!

But what I really want are things wall mold, wall cracks, damage... anything that will give the wall an older, more worn and decayed look and appearance.

Those are available for free download online. HOWEVER (you knew there was a catch) they are illegal to upload to SL under the August 2013 Terms of Service. There might be some old ones out there that were uploaded previously and hopefully you might find them.

Also it is important to read the individual End User Liscence of each texture maker (pack) to make sure it is legal for you to do what you are doing. Some it is fine, others not.

Just lettting you know.