Avatar neighbour has blocked in my 512 on mainland

Dea Aurelia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3632 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I bought a lovely 512 on mainland recently and  since then one avatar has systematically bought up all the surrounding land.

I had this land set for sale at 1000LD or for rent.

He offered me  500 LD and spoke in terms of I had no option as noone would now want to rent my parcel.

When I visited it  today he has landlocked it with high boards.

Is there any  action I can take?

I think he  has done the  same thing to a couple of other 512 parcels that dont  belong to him.

blocking Steine Gardens.png

This is from outside above and I just used some glow to show the location. I have not left it on.

Blocking_002.png 

This inside...........not pleasant.

Previously I could see all around save for some cliffs behind. 

Blocked in_001.png

You can see  here that HIS tenants get a lovely sea view but I am blocked in (extreme right)

Its called harassment and bullying, Dearest, and you can submit an abuse report to Linden Lab via the "help" option in your viewer when you are next inworld.  If you can pull up the chatlog to be visible in the screenshot (and you must include a screenshot showing how walled in your land has become), then do so to add to your case.

Be pithy and precise.

I would do the above on principle, although in this day and age, when mainland is going at such a cheap rate, it would be far easier to say simply cut your losses, and move on.  On no account though would I sell this bully my land. I would sooner abandon it and let him have the extra inconvenience of having to apply to Linden Lab to purchase the land.  They would probably let him have the land, BUT this is not guaranteed.

The ball is in your court. And I wish you luck.

People are allowed signs to advertise their land for rent. Ensure it isn't a rotating one though.  I have no doubt this bully will continue to contact you though if you do that.

Do what your inner voice tells you to, but don't resort to "tip-taps". If you intended to try and rent the land, but do not care if it rents or not, then keep hold of it.  The bully might eventually realise that you catch more flies with sugar than with vinegar and politely offer you a reasonable market value purchase price.

Thank you so much for your excellent advice. It is  very much in line with my own approach. I will be careful with my sign. Do you think making it flash periodically would  be unacceptable too? I want to make my point that he could have bought it for not a high  price  yesterday, but he chose to be very unplessant and confrontational. But I have no intention of  letting it escalate.

Kind regards

Dearest

I would not have a flashing or glowing sign; full bright is enough. 

I would also have an advert in my profile picks, saying "polite enquiries welcome", in the hope your neighbour may adjust his attitude when making his next approach to you.

Hopefully, you can both reach a satisfactory arrangement, and he will not learn he can't just get his own way by bullying.

Edited for silly typo :/

I am sorry this has happened to you :(.

All the other advice given is great. 

Have you thought of having a skybox to rent out on this parcel instead? Maybe with some nice panoramic textures on the walls?

Anyway, whatever you choose to do, Don't let this bully spoil your enjoyment of Second Life.

Emma :)

Sadly he has escalated the  situation, doubled the height of the blocking blocks and I will leave it to LL.

I do like  your  idea re the skybox tho.

I gave him plenty of chance to unblock the land  but he was also unpleasant and abusive, I was not, and he threatened my business in SL.

So thank you

Regards

Dearest

I respect the answers of my fellow SL users above.

I agree with thems actually....

BUT....

let me get this straight...

excuse me?

You asking for 512m a price of  L$1000?  for a simple mainlandf parcel? while others are sold for 329?  or for even less L$279?

And they offer you L$500 and you refuse? and that make them  bad persons?

Come on?

Also....

I dont see where is the wrong thing they done?

All i see there in your pictures is them fences wherre have been beautifully textured and doesnt seemd like someone is trying to make your life hard - opposite it looks they respect you and so they didnt let it by the defaut wood texture. As about of what they say: They think you will never sold your parcel?

Well they was correct..  a 512m parcel if its sold for L$1000 it is double overpriced.. and makes people think that they will be crooked in case they buy it. So thats why ( i guess) they told you  that you will never gonna sold it.

I dkn what to say...

It looks like you havent been in SL but as i see in your profile you are an experianced Oldbie and actually it says there that you are a Real Estate Agent with lots of lands...

But for sure i can say this:

Words can make reality look different; espessialy polite words!

and as a finale:

Welcome to Mainland!

p.s You want to take action for against someone rights to rez whatever they want inside them parcels..

Doesnt that making you a didcator?

p.s. The last time i saw a parcel surrounded from other parcels.. it was a crook who was blackmaling the owners with huge price of a tiny parcel just because it was in the middle of the full sim. So, i dont get why this one is different?

Why we have to give rights to the O.P. and not to the one who owns all the area surrounded? and suffering from an owner who overprice them parcel? -Well of course L$1000 isnt an ammount to blakmale someone... But im just saying...!

Cheers to future readers of this post.

Once again, im not taking the place of anyone.. Im just "saying" how i see the things from a different point of view..

You've hit upon an exception to the normal rules that let people put up banlines where they want.

Yo've been doughnuted, boxed in.

But not with banlines? Just the giant walls?

That's still actionable. IN the past in a flip of this I've gotten resuts. In my case the person bought land around people and rezzed 40m tall solid prims on top of which he put for sale signs, then listed them for 10x the normal price in the area. I AR'd and a week later he was gone from the sim - some 4 or 5 lots cleared out and owned by the governor. But that was in 2009.

File an AR - with screenshot and a summary of what was said.

File a support ticket as well.

But this is one reason to try and avoid buying near people who do rentals, and to never buy land that has a great view if neighbors don't block. When you want a view look for protected land.

It might be ARable if you get blocked by something nasty on four sides by the same person...

But if just on three, you're going to have to start proving harrassment, which if they had the blocks before you go there is pretty hard (note if they had the blocks on 4 sides before you got there, its a doughnut, which is ARable.

beethros Karas wrote:

BUT....

excuse me?

You asking for 512m a price of  L$1000?  for a simple mainlandf parcel? while others are sold for 329?  or for even less L$279?

Come on?

I think you need to reread the timeline of events a little more carefully.

Also, you really can't make the assesment that the property is overpriced because you don't know where it's located. 

Yes, you are correct, even if i tried to find where that mainland parcel was , i couldnt.

There was not any links to the profile picks of the OP

But i assume its overpriced because as i see there it has none of its sides protected.

Well to my "eyes" thats enough to put it to the category of a standard parcel of Mainland and i value it at max. L$512.

beethros Karas wrote:

BUT....

excuse me?

Come on?

Also....

All i see there in your pictures is them fences wherre have been beautifully textured and doesnt seemd like someone is trying to make your life hard - opposite it looks they respect you and so they didnt let it by the defaut wood texture. As about of what they say: They think you will never sold your parcel?

Well they was correct..  a 512m parcel if its sold for L$1000 it is double overpriced.. and makes people think that they will be crooked in case they buy it. So thats why ( i guess) they told you  that you will never gonna sold it.

I dkn what to say...

It looks like you havent been in SL but as i see in your profile you are an experianced Oldbie and actually it says there that you are a Real Estate Agent with lots of lands...

and as a finale:

Welcome to Mainland!

p.s You want to take action for against someone rights to rez whatever they want inside them parcels..

p.s. The last time i saw a parcel surrounded from other parcels.. it was a crook who was blackmaling the owners with huge price of a tiny parcel just because it was in the middle of the full sim. So, i dont get why this one is different?

Why we have to give rights to the O.P. and not to the one who owns all the area surrounded? and suffering from an owner who overprice them parcel? -Well of course L$1000 isnt an ammount to blakmale someone... But im just saying...!

Once again, im not taking the place of anyone.. Im just "saying" how i see the things from a different point of view..

Something sounds rotten in Denmark with this post - how is L$1000 for water land anything close to "double overpriced"? The other landowner is offering less than the price Linden Lab puts on abandoned land - if the OP abandoned it then it would be for sale at L$512. And - seriously - you're defending the spite walls just because they have crappy rock texture on them?

Well, I suppose your point of view could be considered an interesting, um... alternate... look at the problem at that.

Oh yes! You got exactly the point!

My oppinion is an n <interesting, um... alternate..> as you say!

And yes  to Pierre! I Admit i had to read it better and look the pictures better!

But, i just went to read it again and the OP had edited it.. so in this case, I have to quit of all this hypothetical convo, because we will only be lost and we will not be able to run back to read what they really said at the begining.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Something sounds rotten in Denmark with this post - how is L$1000 for
water land
anything close to "double overpriced"? The other landowner is offering less than the price Linden Lab puts on abandoned land - if the OP abandoned it then it would be for sale at L$512. And - seriously - you're defending the spite walls just because they have crappy rock texture on them?

Well, I suppose your point of view could be considered an interesting, um...
alternate...
look at the problem at that.

Could LL be rethinking their $1L per sqm pricing?

Beginning at Message 84.

In some parts of mainland protected water land is worth nothing... Particularly G rated land near bad builds.

In other parts of mainland unprotected flat land surrounded by neighors is worth 7-10L/m... (this is especialy common on Zindra - but also can include some choice G rated land inside of very nice older sims).

Everything is very situational / locational when it comes to the value.

Dearest Myrtle wrote:

Sadly he has escalated the  situation, doubled the height of the blocking blocks and I will leave it to LL.

I do like  your  idea re the skybox tho.

I gave him plenty of chance to unblock the land  but h
e was also unpleasant and abusive, I was not, and he threatened my business in SL.

So thank you

Regards

Dearest

I'm rejoining this thread.

If you had tenants, its possible that abusive landowner would abuse them too.

As (I think) I said earlier, if you can afford to hold onto the land, do that for now. Your mere presence on "his" sim is obviously winding him up no end, and tiny little hen-pecked man that he obviously is in real life, is just trying to have some power in his virtual life - to be pitied really - but the guy is definitely against ToS, and Linden Lab should step in and at least give him a warning about his behaviour. You shouldn't have to be derendering. You should simply be able to enjoy your little parcel of land.

beethros Karas wrote:

BUT....

excuse me?

Come on?

Also....

I dkn what to say...

and as a finale:

Welcome to Mainland!

Greetings, beethros

Yes it is always good to see things from a different point of view. :)

Depending where the 512m parcel is, 1000L$ can seem expensive or cheap.  Over the years, I have sold 512m parcels of land for almost nothing on ugly rocky-landscaped sims, to 20,000L$ for parcels with an outlook of the virtual ocean.  Bay City land parcels sell for a lot more.  All very crazy, isn't it?  I think so.

I think the Miss Myrtle is not asking too much - someone who asks politely could perhaps negotiate a lower price. Land dealers have done this often with me, when I have been a buyer, and when I have been a seller of land.

It is never ok though for someone to be abusive towards another resident in Second Life (or in real life for that matter).

We are getting o-o-o-l-d in Second Life, and see some very odd people act in some very strange ways sometimes. :/

Hi Marigolg :)

Yes it is really crazy to see 512m parcels sold for 20k.. but as you say its the power of asking and demand through time!

Thank you for respecting a different point of view. And yes! I Agree 101% with you as about polite asking, could have better results!

I will also have to ask an appology from the OP because i was kinda hard with this post,

because  there is no way i will defend walls agains someones peace!

I could imagine the wall owner is a young kid who believe threating is a way to win..

Lets all hope the best for these two!

Maybe if he offers a L$750 then they will have found a middle solution!

If i was him ( owning all the surrounding area, i wouldnt afraid to pay L$1000 for a 512m parcel - since i have seen worst as i say above, to have it all mine at the end)

I can maybe think they was got "offended" because of the L$1000 for it... I dkn.. we cant be into other ppls minds to see how they think..

Cheers, beets.

First of all apologies for not replying yesterday as I had a very busy RL work today. Also I'm in the UK so this is my early morning

I'm appreciative of all the responses I received to my query for support in dealing with this avatar landowner. I especially will be looking at the rendering and skybox options in the future so thank you to the various people who made those suggestions

When I went to the landowner to explain that I wasn't happy with what he had done his reaction was beyond all reasonable expectations, it became abusive, unpleasant, and he threatened to damage me and my partners businesses in second life.

I have filed an abuse report and I don't know what the outcome will be, as you know we never know what action Linden Labs will take.

For the time being I am just going to leave the situation as it is and let it calm down. That parcel is the one I get with my premium membership and I buy a 512 parcel  with its allowance whenever I can. I paid 650 LD for the land as it was in a gorgeous location and lots of other rentals around and some free water and a number of landowners there. I did set the land for sale AND rent and I set the sale price of 1000 LD (so the  landowner always  knew this) because if I do sell it I want to make a profit and also it's very difficult to find a nice little parcel in mainland. However, I really prefer to rent the land at 100 a week as this means that if a lot of building  comes to the environment over the next time period and makes it less attractive, the renter can just leave and find somewhere else and  I am left to deal with the land. Sometimes I sell cheaply or I abandon the land and find another piece of land to buy (naturally these circumstances have arisen several times). Also in the long term it's more profitable to let  the land if the renter stays.

I have been in second life for four years, although I freely admit I haven't spent much of that time on the mainland.

My partner and I run a business called Architech Design which is a store, and we sell houses and landscaping. We also own and run Toby's Juke Joint for which we had to buy a full sim and started doing a few rentals to help pay for the costs. I'm sure you know running a club in second life is not profitable.

Overtime our  rental business grew and we now have 13 sims joined by water which means that 10 of them are accessible for sailing to all our residents. We fund an art gallery and much of the water. Friends run three sims as a Sailing Club. We are not massive landowners but we do like the community we have and we have absolutely fabulous tenants and visitors to the sims.

I did a little further research on the landowner who caused the issue for us, it appears that he has 250 sims. When I first met him which is the several weeks ago he told me that he systematically buys mainland sims to make them look nice. He did not tell me that people who don't want to sell to him at his prices are blocked in. I have now been banned from his sim, but before he did this yesterday I was able to see that several other people are in the same position as we are with  small parcels totally blocked in.
If, and I say IF, he is a landowner who by bullying and intimidation achieves growth to his landowning empire, then that would place him and us at opposite ends of the landowning spectrum!

Oh, I did edit my post, about an hour so after I had put it up and I had received my first very helpful reply, I added a third photograph and corrected one spelling!

Finally, I appreciate each and everyone of you who has   Taken the trouble to reply, share your views and make suggestions. This is what is the best about the forums; the second life community sharing information for mutual benefit.

Do feel free to contact me in second life should you so wish. If you wish to see the  land or have the name of the avatar, I will happily supply both privately as I do not consider it appropriate to post them here.

I will not be adding any further comment to this thread.
Kindest regards
Dearest Myrtle

beethros Karas wrote:

Hi Marigolg
:)

Yes it is really crazy to see 512m parcels sold for 20k.. but as you say its the power of asking and demand through time!

Last week I sold a 1024m for about 45k. No water, 2 side protected - flat with no ability to terraform, not double prim, road on two sides. Neighbor with full bright 'cardboard style' build across the road.

I'm sure the buyer thought they were getting a steal from me.

Shermerville...

Because location really is everything in SL.

The land auctions are always fun to watch.  I used to love teleporting around the parcels for sale, even if I wasn't buying them.  Sims closer to water and roads seems to get more interest - and of course the Bay City sims - including Shermerville as mentioned in Pussycat's post above.

http://usd.auctions.secondlife.com/lin/auction/auction/list/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3632 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.