banned from secondlife

tngrlie Naxos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

If you are the person being blocked from accessing SL servers you would see an error message reading "you cannot access Secondlife from this location"... thats how you can tell if its firsthand.

If you're trying to find out secondhand, you can't.  LL doesn't disclose such things... best you could do is see if the person is still listed in any of the groups they used to belong to, that kind of thing.  (and even that isn't a definative indication of a ban)

"As no one seems to have answered you..."

*points to the reply thats about half an inch above this one and hopes us sharing some smiles doesn't tweek anyones sensibilities out of joint*

If the answer wasn't clear, perhaps i can help:

If you are the person being blocked from accessing SL servers you would see an error message reading "you cannot access Secondlife from this location"... thats how you can tell if its firsthand.

If you're trying to find out secondhand, you can't.  LL doesn't disclose such things... best you could do is see if the person is still listed in any of the groups they used to belong to, that kind of thing.  (and even that isn't a definative indication of a ban)

Unklebob.Hotaling wrote:

That's not always true. Sometimes LL will pop you that message for no real reason. I've gotten it once or twice trying to log in, and I just closed out and tried again and got through. Usually when you are banned the message is "Login failed. Your account is not accessable until (Date of when you are unbanned)" Like, the same message you get when you crash and try to relog too soon too many times.

I stand corrected - but i'll squat cause i'm half-right.

'can't login from this location' is blocked... 'try again in x amount of minutes' is a failed login... 'try again on a certain date' is account on hold.   The reason a person might get that 'can't login from this location' is for example if they have a dynamic IP address as was the case with someone who posted here a week-ish ago.  They got that same message, as it happens they had a dynamic IP that just by fluke changed to an account that was banned from SL a year ago.  Relogging recycles the IP, thus allowing you to successfully login.

Why does Second Life say "You cannot log into Second Life from this location"?

This error message generally indicates you have been blocked from the Second Life servers by Linden Lab. These blocks may be automatically placed as the result of:

• Documented cases of fraud
  • Use of Second Life by a minor
  • Exceptionally flagrant abuse activity

Why does Second Life say "Your account is not accessible until (date/time)"?

Does the error specifically state that you are already logging in (or out)? If so, this message simply means that Second Life is still attempting to log out your avatar. Close Second Life, wait fifteen minutes, then attempt to log in again. Do not repeatedly attempt to log in! If you keep trying to log in, the process will take longer.  Does the error only state Login failed; Your account is not accessible until (date/time)? This error message generally indicates your Second Life account has been administratively blocked. Short-term blocks (less than an hour) may be the result of a kick for inappropriate behavior. Longer blocks are typically the result of abuse.

Assuming you know their name, search for them. If they don't show up in search then looks like the account has been deleted (by them or LL, banned or not). If they show up, send them an IM. If they're set to receive IMs via email when offline, they'll see your message outside of SL. If you never get a reply, they are either banned, have quit SL or don't want to talk to you.  (If their IMs are capped, then they'll never receive an email. In which case, send a notecard instead for the same effect)

Thanks to others on this thread for the humour. Scaling Everest and Charlie the tuna. Now that made me chuckle before the eyebrow levitation

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.