Banned bots

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3393 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have noticed some avi's being security orb booted from my land. When I see the names, I tend to check their profiles.

A number of these booted turn out to be bots with comments left at their profiles showing displeasure.

"Bot Be Gone...Evil wins loser!", "His 2nd Life page says it all, 'powerful and secret' = a drongo wannabe. Well he's banned from Abrevert now too." and this good choice of words, "wait, i banned your bot ass already. how are you coming back?".

I may be showing my naïveté asking these questions:

Are they looking for security lapses or just showing that they can be annoying?

Last I was aware, I believed that SL REQUIRED a bot to be so identified.

What is the point of sending a bot to wander SL?

Oh, you're over here now. :smileyvery-happy:

Jerilynn Lemon wrote:

Last I was aware, I believed that SL REQUIRED a bot to be so identified.

Only to LL...

What is the point of sending a bot to wander SL?

There used to be a bot that would go to whatever sim you told it to go to from a particular website and it would take a 360-degree picture and post it.

Others collect all sorts of information.

Then there are land bots, but they're now outlawed on mainland.

So there's more than one reason.

Bit off subject, but they are not always banned. I have seen evidence that one of the most popular info hubs in SL, that is also in the destination guide, uses undeclared bots to lure new people, 0 day old avatars, from the welcome islands to their sim. This has been reported numerous times by various people who have some standing with LL, however nothing is done, nore do I expect anything will ever be done about it.

LL ask from your account dashboard that you set Scripted Agent Status for a bot, but that dose not show up in the avatars profile for other people to see, so not useful at all for residents to identify bots.

grid survey uses a bot to do the surveyhttp://www.gridsurvey.com/index.php

This a good use of a bot with out it we would have all most no information about how SL is doing.

Some bots are bad an some are good just depends on their use. The on you found sounds more like a grifer bot of some kind.

Leia36 wrote:

Bit off subject, but they are not always banned. I have seen evidence that one of the most popular info hubs in SL, that is also in the destination guide, uses undeclared bots to lure new people, 0 day old avatars, from the welcome islands to their sim. This has been reported numerous times by various people who have some standing with LL, however nothing is done, nore do I expect anything will ever be done about it.

I encountered that bot too, I never accept random teleport request from strangers so didn't even look to see where it would have taken me.  If it's taking people to some place new resident friendly, where there are people to interact with then I could see why LL might look the other way.  One of the biggest complaints new residents have is finding some thing to do. 

On the other hand I could easily see how things could get out of hand, with spam and griefing, but even if all the bots doing this were for good uses, if enough places did that then the sim would be too full to even let new residents get to welcome island. 

Parrish Ashbourne wrote:

Leia36 wrote:

I encountered that bot too, I never accept random teleport request from strangers so didn't even look to see where it would have taken me.  If it's taking people to some place new resident friendly, where there are people to interact with then I could see why LL might look the other way.  One of the biggest complaints new residents have is finding some thing to do. 

On the other hand I could easily see how things could get out of hand, with spam and griefing, but even if all the bots doing this were for good uses, if enough places did that then the sim would be too full to even let new residents get to welcome island. 

@Leia - How do you know they are NOT registered bots?  There is no way for any of us to know whether an account is a registered as a Bot or not.  I could register my own account as a "BOT" and still go about my merry way and you'd have no way of knowing.

I put NO WEIGHT on people who claim a special relationship with Linden's or Linden Lab.   I do know that there is one 'society' that frequents the Hubs, etc that has a vivid imagination about this.  They have orgasms every time they see a Linden.  But really, anyone enjoying a 'special relationship' probably does because among other things, one thing that they can do is keep their mouths shut about it.

Maybe the reality, rather than the comic book fiction, is that nothing appears to be done because there is no violation.

Perrie, quite simply because I am privy to certain things from friends in the admin group and they have 3 different kind of bots on that sim .. The first kind, of which there are two, are declared bots, both walk around and take new people to a welcome centre. The second kind are undeclared and there are 6, one for each welcome island.. They send TPs to new residents .. i.e. when a new person initially lands they get a message saying ***** wants to Teleport you to ****** sim. The third type are up in the air, keeping the traffic up. These are all demonstratable if you wish me to show you.

Leia36 wrote:

Perrie, quite simply because I am privy to certain things from friends in the admin group and they have 3 different kind of bots on that sim .. The first kind, of which there are two, are declared bots, both walk around and take new people to a welcome centre. The second kind are undeclared and there are 6, one for each welcome island.. They send TPs to new residents .. i.e. when a new person initially lands they get a message saying ***** wants to Teleport you to ****** sim. The third type are up in the air, keeping the traffic up. These are all demonstratable if you wish me to show you.

To be clear, are saying you are friends with the group who owns the Bots?  And the Admins of this group are telling you they are "friends with Lindens?"

I'm not questioning what is being done with these accounts. Still there is no way for us to know if an account is a registered bot.  Seeing them in action would not help me with this.

You see, something you have to understand and remember here is that until a month ago NO LINDENS WERE ALLOWED INWORLD, the exception being the Governance, the Server and Maintenance Teams and only on official business.  They never "hang out."  They poofed as soon as they finished.  I've watched them several times in action and that is how it always is.

So when anyone claims affinity with the Lindens, my Skepticism Meter tends to sound a warning.

Leia36 wrote:

the bots that are in those infohubs don't send the TP requests, so they don't get noticed for what they are, or reported for commercial activity in an infohub. they aren't pulling the trigger, so to speak. they message their peers in the target sim, and those do the requests.

Perrie I have friends who have been admining on the sim in question for many years... let me be clear here

I have one friend, a lady who runs one of the biggest adult content continents in SL .. the lady in question pays millions of L$ a month on tier. She certainly has the Linden's ear, from what I can see.. and I believe her when she tells me why these bots are allowed on the other sim .. Sim X uses bots.. the owner of sim Y told me why and how and where.

Leia36 wrote:

Perrie I have friends who have been admining on the sim in question for many years... let me be clear here

I have one friend, a lady who runs one of the biggest adult content continents in SL .. the lady in question pays millions of L$ a month on tier. She certainly has the Linden's ear, from what I can see.. and I believe her when she tells me why these bots are allowed on the other sim .. Sim X uses bots.. the owner of sim Y told me why and how and where.

ok

• 2 months later...

Do not know why they are coming and just standing at my landing point for hours on end, I have had 5 this week.  The strange thing is their date fo birth or Rez day being exactly the same.

I have banned them all

princessss1 Resident, dark69angel Resident, johncv1 Resident, jtr2000 Resident, yourhero99 Resident

• 5 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3393 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.