Why do I sometimes get repeating text?

brock Enyo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5271 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Every so often ( a few times an hour) whether the text is being sent out  or incoming , both local or IMs to anyone it will show the text and show it three more times . I tried removing attachments , resetting charactor, relogging  and checking all the settings on the viewer  ( Emerald )  that did not work. I will try using just the normal SL view and see if it  happens , but if anyone knows why it happens I would appreciate the help. Thank you.

5 answers to this question

Hello Brock, 'repeating text' can be caused by packet loss. To check your network connection see How do I check for packet loss (network lag)?

What is packet loss? Packets of data travel across computer networks, including the Internet, home or any corporate network. If one or more of these packets fails to reach its destination, packet loss occurs. These lost or dropped packets can result in performance issues.

If your network transport protocol provides for packet recovery, a transmitted packet that is lost will be re-sent. However, it will be re-sent along with every other packet of data that had been sent after it. This causes the overall throughput of the connection to drop.

Typical causes of packet loss.

High packet loss results in "lag". Connection difficulties can lie in any of the following sources:

• Your home network    
  • Use of a wireless network    
  • Your ISP    
  •      A third-party Internet connection between your ISP and our host.    
  •      Occasionally with our provider's network.    

Potential solutions

There are a few things you can try in order to identify and mitigate causes of packet loss.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5271 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.