Sign in to follow this  
brock Enyo

Why do I sometimes get repeating text?

Question

5 answers to this question

Blame it on old age and a brain i bought at a discount freebie place, i don't remember exactly how the key sequence works but of you hit the 'up' arrow key (or maybe its down lol) it repeats text.  Granted i'm lousy at describing it but if you get repeating text could it be you doing it inadvertently?

Hello Brock, 'repeating text' can be caused by packet loss. To check your network connection see How do I check for packet loss (network lag)?

What is packet loss? Packets of data travel across computer networks, including the Internet, home or any corporate network. If one or more of these packets fails to reach its destination, packet loss occurs. These lost or dropped packets can result in performance issues.

If your network transport protocol provides for packet recovery, a transmitted packet that is lost will be re-sent. However, it will be re-sent along with every other packet of data that had been sent after it. This causes the overall throughput of the connection to drop.

Typical causes of packet loss.

High packet loss results in "lag". Connection difficulties can lie in any of the following sources:

• Your home network    
  • Use of a wireless network    
  • Your ISP    
  •      A third-party Internet connection between your ISP and our host.    
  •      Occasionally with our provider's network.    

Potential solutions

There are a few things you can try in order to identify and mitigate causes of packet loss.