Sign in to follow this  
Naerose Eiren

Avatar UUIDs - is this significant?

Question

Hello Naerose,

every avatar has a unique key - the mentioned UUID (short for Universally Unique Identifier, for more info see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUID). This UUID is per avatar and as the name says unique. It's build of hexadecmal numbers (0..9,a..f) - 16 letters which represend the values 0..15.

Those letters sometimes, randomly form words like "dead", "cafebabe",  "ba11ade" or "facade" and other astonishing combinations.

I'd say: coincidence?: yes, scary?: sometimes, mysterious: no

Cobra

3 answers to this question

Hello Naerose,

every avatar has a unique key - the mentioned UUID (short for Universally Unique Identifier, for more info see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUID). This UUID is per avatar and as the name says unique. It's build of hexadecmal numbers (0..9,a..f) - 16 letters which represend the values 0..15.

Those letters sometimes, randomly form words like "dead", "cafebabe",  "ba11ade" or "facade" and other astonishing combinations.

I'd say: coincidence?: yes, scary?: sometimes, mysterious: no

Cobra

Also, the avatar UUID is not connected to a user's computer, but the avatar itself. If someone gives you something when you are offline, then you install SL onto a completely new, other computer, anywhere in the world, when you log in for the first time on that computer, your av will receive that given object. Has nothing to do with your computer.

• Like 1

Hi there

Thanks for the responses.  I guess I was being optimistic about being able to see if she had an alt with the same UUID, but I'm hearing that's not the case and that it's entirely random that there's the word "dead" in there.  *sigh*  This is the problem, isn't it?  People just disappear and we never know.  Oh well ...