Why can't we buy homestead sims without having to buy full first?

Lozlo Peng

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5240 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I want to buy my own homestead sim rather than renting one. There is no option to own or be convenant manager of a homestead unless I buy a Full Sim beforehand; which I cannot afford. I can afford homestead, just not a Full Sim and definitely not both. Why does LL stop us from being able to buy homestead sims? Doesn't it make them lose out on money from all those renters who could potentially be buyers? I am trying to rent one at the moment but they are all taken due to popular demand. Does it not make sense to make them available or is there a reason for this?

• Like 1

20 answers to this question

I honestly dont know why they do not allow you to buy a homestead or openspace without owning a full sim first, though I have a pretty good feeling its their way of keeping a huge influx of these sims overtaking their servers, and also acually helps make money because it forces people that really do need a sim to get a full first, before a homestead or openspace. a solution to your problem with not being able to rent one beacuse they are "all taken" is if you have any friends that own a sim, offer to pay the setup fee, along with the teir and maybe plus some. That is the route I am taking personally. Id rather pay a friend that I know wont try and screw me over, than rent from someone I dont know. yes that makes it so you would have to pay the setup fee, but, from the way you are taking, you were already willing to do that in the first place.

#

Shan's answer is the way to go for real ownership. The other's are actually a ( hidden ) rent situation since you always will depend on them and don't need a premium account.

I would only make a deal with a person i'd know in rl, otherwise you will be actually renting since really owning a homestead is not allowed without owning a full sim. Renting could of course be a solution, but not if you really want to own it.

Don't let anyone fool you for ( hidden ) rents; be careful.

Unfortunately even the solution I listed would be considered "renting" but, not so as much as getting a sim from these bigger land barons. at least in the solution I gave (and will be using) I know the person on a personal basis, and i would not be paying some random person that Might come in, make drastic changes to everything and leave me in the dust. Getting the sim from a personal friend is the least "renter-ish" way you can go, without actually having to own a full sim, just to own a homestead.

Okay I might be confused here... don't you have to pay a monthly tier to either LL or a private company for land bought? Isn't that tier, in effect, a rental arrangement (without calling it that)? I buy land all the time but have always avoided a premium account because I never saw the benefit. Perhaps I am missing something with the tier thing....

when you rent land, you are effectivly paying the teir + some to the owner of the land you are renting. The owner takes a look at their teir price for the island (a full island being 295USD a month) then divides the land up, and based on how many prims per parcel sets a price, but that price is always going to be over the base land teir, so that the owner can turn a profit. If you rent with a larger company, you will usually find lower prices, as they turn profit faster, but you will almost certianly find more restrictions in what you can do with that land. a smaller company may charge more, but may give you more flexability in what you can do with the land. the soultion I suggest though, getting it directly from a private and personal friend, you would be able to have full control of the land, and only have to pay base teir in most instances. I suggested maybe paying extra just to show some graditude to the friend for helping you out.

Hi all,

If Linden allow to buy a homestead instead of pre-own a full island first, it still need to pay set up fees for that island. I don't know whether it would be less costing on set up for homestead (although I believe not much lesser).  That is US$1000.

Personally experience is not quite good on rent island land. Evil neighbor happen living with the same sim is a big problem as homestead itself is already weaker. And the landowner can stop the rental at their own will anytime once the rent run up or refuse to receive further. Although it does not happen much, it did happen.

However, some rental land can maintain very high quality and have great business goodwill to trust.

Setup fee's for homesteads are considerably less than a full sim setup. the setup fee for homesead is $395USD with monthly tier of $125USD as apposed to the full sim rates of $1,000USD setup and $295USD monthly teir.

I would personally recomend to never rent just a part of a homesead (i.e. a multi parcel/renter situation) because of the exact fact that they are low priority and get less CPU time than full sims ( LL runs 4 homeseads per CPU, full sims get their own CPU ) however, this thred is mostly talking about having a homestead to yourself. In a case like that, the only thing that would bog down the sim would be you running alot of CPU intensive scripts, or another homesead thats running on the same CPU as you stealing the majority of CPU cycles by running to many scripts.

• Like 1

Hi Shan, I purchased a big house yesterday, it's lovely.

However, I lag when I am around it.

Is there any way I can find out if there are other homesteads running on the same 'CPU' as me, maybe this is the problem? I don't know..

But my fps becomes awful when I am in or near this build. It's ok if I am at the other side of the sim on empty plains. I am pretty sure there are a lot of scripts in it though because when I unpacked the build in the rezzer it had A LOT of green script text coming out of it - assuming each chat entry from this was a single script which belonged to each object that was rezzing (e.g. baths, kitchen, windows, pool, lights, switches, etc).

This is a whole homestead (3750 prims) to myself also, no other occupants, private.

that unfortunatly has nothing to do with the sim you are on. if the sim itself was lagging, you would notice that slowdown everywhere on the sim. if YOUR fps is dropping when you look at the build, but not the SIMS fps then it is something to do with your computer. it could be that the build is done poorly and is overtaxing your CPU/GPU or it could be that your just running weaker hardware. try bringing up the debug menu with ctrl+alt+shift+1 you can see both the sim, and your local fps. Im willing ot bet that the sim fps is hovering around 45 where it should be, but your local clientside fps will drop. as for the script text when you rezzed the house, if the rezzer works like most others, each object (be it linked, or single prim) would have one script to position that groupset. once you "locked" the possition though those scripts are deleted, so that house probably does not have as many scripts as you think.

if your sim fps ever does start dropping, and you are sure it is not you, you can contact whoever you are renting from, and ask that they submit a restart request. that would restart all the sims on the server (if i remember correctly) and should ease up the lag. but it would only be a temporary solution, as the person with the laggy sim would probably not change how they are running things.

no no  Julie .... you cant  own a HS (HomeStead Sim) ..  you have to  own a full sim  as the OP  states.

You can  "buy/lease/rent" one from an inworld estate  but  when it comes down to the paper work  they  own it .. you dont!

So what are you paying for ?  well your paying for various  services for one. List varies depending on the estate.

Listen Lozlo,  Im not gonna argue with you  on this. You suckered me in on another thread  with your semantics (and yes I do know what that means)  Ive been in the  Estate business for three years now and I  think I know a bit about this.

And I  could react as you did "Please dont resond to a post that isnt directed to you" but I wont.

Hi Lady Sakai,

There is no need to be defensive. I was pointing out, Julie already said that you must buy a homestead sim from a region manager if they do not wish to buy a full sim first, this is the option they can go through. You then however replied to her telling her "no no" insinuating she was incorrect and then said the same thing she said - Meaning you were both correct but you misread it as you said the exact thing she had posted - in other words read more carefully!

Julie said: Well you can buy a homestead sim outright, i have several times, with no other condition. Just buy it from a private region seller, like Azure Islands. Go: http://azureislands.com/  
Sakai said: no no  Julie .... you cant  own a HS (HomeStead Sim) ..  you have to  own a full sim  as the OP  states.
You can  "buy/lease/rent" one from an inworld estate but  when it comes down to the paper work  they  own it .. you dont!

You see?

Lady Sakai, no one said you didn't know the definition of the word semantics.

Lady Sakai, neither is there anything to argue about!

Lady Sakai, no one said you knew nothing about estate business, no one said you were incorrect. You said Julie was incorrect, but Julie is correct. You said the same thing as Julie - That you can buy a sim from an estate manager/rentals instead. This is also what Julie said, but you misread and told her "no no".

Lady Sakai, please stay on topic, this is a fresh thread. What goes on in these forums is not to be taken personally and dragged into other threads. If you can not handle peoples opinions or people being unable to understand your posts and take things to heart then an environment like this is not for you. You are coming across very defensive and there is absolutely no need. In the previous thread I did not request that you don't respond to me but I clearly stated that your response did not make sense in response to my comment and sounded as if it should be directed towards the original poster, it was advice to re-direct your response towards the OP instead of mine therefore it would get the response it needed as I had not a clue what you were talking about and how it was relevant to what i had said in my reply to the OP.

- Loz

Do you mean you first bought it for xxx LS and then you pay tiers xxx LS or better called "rent " to the seller ?=Estate

We have lived one year now on a homestead sim, very stable group of sims.

Costed nothing to have and we only pay rent for it.

Same amount of prims as you have,no lag and a lot of space.

All waters around these sims are shared so u can sail fly or do whatever around them.

So you dont have to "buy" at all ..Just pay the box and its yours to rent (but you own nothing ...)And choose the sim with care.

• Like 1

Hey Zig

Yup, that is what Julie means.

Some people make you buy the land first and pay rent after

Some people let you have the land for free or 1L and you can just pay rent!

Also if someone requests a homestead from an estate company they usually charge them for set up fees if they have to order for a brand new homestead sim and sometimes they even allow them to choose their own sim name. It just depends on the company.

But yes Zig, that is what Julie was saying

Yup, I also didn't have to buy my homestead, I just pay it's rent!

I chose very carefully! Convenant manager is one of the safest on the grid and has become a good friend too! So I am very content and feel secure with my rental owner.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5240 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.