I have a few questions that need some serious answers please!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

18 answers to this question

Wow.

In answer to your questions...

1. I don't know this definatively but I think it's a safe guess that any reports against you stay on some database; if LL takes action against someone I'm pretty sure they'd have that on record.

2. I'm sure people can file reports against a cancelled account (how would they know it's been cancelled); subsequently I'd question whether LL would act, after all how can you take action against an av that isn't there.  If it's bad enough though they could still ban by IP... I'm not pointing fingers just saying generally - LL has been through someone griefing or w/e then getting a different account to hide behind many many times before.

3. It would seem reasonable that any ARs filed against an av that's 'hibernating' would be saved with the added obstacle - you have to go through LL to reactivate it.  I have a friend who cancelled her account months ago, her profile is still around even though her account isn't.

4. Don't see why not unless you do something silly like give an idiot your rl info.  Maybe this will help you in the future, definately good reading - Stalker Alert!!

Wish I was you, I'd plant my size 12's in a place he definately wouldn't find comfy.

What should I do about abuse that moves outside of Second Life?

I'm being harassed by someone outside of Second Life®. What should I do?

Visit our Online Safety webpage for information about inworld harassment. If this harassment moves outside of the Second Life virtual world, contact your local authorities.

I've contacted my local authorities. How can they contact Linden Lab?

At the following address:

Linden Lab Legal Department
945 Battery Street
San Francisco, CA 94111

By fax:

415.243.9045 (Attn Legal Department)

Or by telephoning us:

Will Linden Lab cooperate with my local authorities?

Linden Lab cooperates to the full extent of the law with law enforcement agencies.
  • Like 1

gl..one of many reasons to never give out RL info...u might want to change ur user account name and info on ur  computer... better yet use a different computer if u can...i have played in other games and had ppl come up to me and use my RL name even though i was using one of my game names i like to use...not even close to my RL name...even my RL friends call me Sai most of the time... the only way they could have known is if they had a way to see what my user account name was on my computer so i was told...i have since changed it...i had one guy track me down and he was calling my phone # which was rlly scary...and i never gave out my RL info to anyone in game...i don't know how well SL filters the info other ppl can see about u and ur computer if at all most games don't...it would be a good idea not to have any real life info anywhere on ur hard drive...yes i know that sounds a little crazy...but i know what its like to get a phone call from a total stranger u only met a few times in game too...i hope everything works out for u

The most important lesson... idiots are everywhere, don't let it defeat you.  For every loudmouthed loser you find online there's countless more stand-up types; they're out there - it's just a matter of being careful in picking who you hang with.  You'll do fine.

I was reading a news article just this morning about how some goofball was knocking on some woman's door; this woman lived alone and was freaked right out - thought the guy banging at the door intended to cause harm... not a wise move down in the 'right to bear arms' America.  Some guys should rethink their strategy, mind you I guess some people aren't overly bright to begin with.

It's pretty easy if you know what to look for.

Examples; living at the same sl house... going to the same places and talking using the same mannerisms... ratted-out by a friend you thought you could trust and confide in (not uncommon sadly)... I play an online wargame and depending on the infraction I don't always ban by IP... if I just ban by name chances are the people banned will just come back under another account/name which is something I've learned to look for and spot.  If you know what to look for it's not that difficult.

/me waves 'good morning' to Merlynn  

if it were me i wouldn't  have them on mute on ur new avatar....if they ever came across u in-world by chance there might be a way for them to see that u have them on mute...and if u "don't know them" they might wonder why they have been muted and figure out its u or think ur someone they have harassed ...idk if this is even possible but we all use an open source viewer so if they are able to make viewers its within the realm of possibilities that they could see anyone who had them muted...some states in the usa have laws against internet stalking u could always talk to a lawer that specializes in internet crimes or talk to someone at ur local police dept. they could tell u more and if there is any action u can take against these guys in RL...best of luck

/me waves back at Uncle Bob!! 

I guess what I'm getting at is that it's pretty easy to stay anonymous if you want to. Living at the same house would just be inviting more drama. Mannerisms and speaking habits are true giveaways, but you'd have to spend a decent amount of time with someone chatting to really be sure of that. I really don't think that hacking into LL to find out the identity of a avatar is anything more than a conspiracy theory. Methinks your 'friends' are really not your friends if they'll sell you out for $3 -  and the best advice other posters have given -- keep your rl info to yourself.

Another good reason why Facebook and SL should stay far far away from each other, imo.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.