32bit True Color....huh?

Tatianna Blogger

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I recently downloaded second life...and after installing I tried to launch and it seemed to be working until this pop up appreared saying I needed to have 32bit True Color I followed thier directions only to find out I can only have 26bit. What do I do? I am not very computer savvy so please describe your solutions in lamest terms....or like I'm stupid

17 answers to this question

Here's hoping this Knowledge Base article helps; seems if your graphics card isn't compatible there's no solution posted.  Maybe you can change your Display settings.

Second Life says it can't run full screen, a specific resolution, or 32-bit color.

Unfortunately, this error message usually means your graphics card isn't compatible with Second Life. If you've checked your graphics card and it is compatible, try updating its drivers.

If your graphics card is listed as compatible, and you have the latest drivers, try these steps:

Check Display settings

1. Right-click any empty space on your desktop and choose Properties.
    OR, open the Control Panel, then open Display.
  2. Click on the Settings tab.
  3. The Color Quality box should read Highest (32-bit). If it does not, change it to Highest (32-bit) and click OK.
  4. The Resolution should be at least the resolution Second Life is trying to run at. (In most cases, you probably want it higher, like 1024x768 or 1280x1024.)

Check Windows Program Compatibility settings

1. Right-click the Second Life Icon and choose Properties.
  2. Go to the Compatibility tab.
  3. Make sure everything is unchecked.
  • Like 1

This is simple, but difficult to decribe the exact step without knowing what kind of operating system you are running.

For one thing, you could not have had 26-bit color. I think you mean 16-bit.

I will assume you are running Windows Vista or XP.

On XP : Go to Control Panel >> Display >> Settings Tab

On Vista : Go to Control Panel >> Personalization >> Display Settings

In Colors or Color Quality, choose "Highest" "Highest (32-bit)".

If this option is not available to you (in a rare case) your video card does not support the higher number of colors required for a rich SL experience.

Click Apply/OK an now start SL.

EDIT : Just realised the knowledge base is severely outdated on this.

• Like 1

Sadly even if you could submit a ticket asking for help from SL Support my guess is they'd just say you're out of luck; if your computer doesn't meet system requirements there isn't much they can do.  That said my computer doesn't meet system requirements either, it's got a hamster-in-a-wheel harddrive and it's memory is as bad as mine is... perhaps when you're inworld click the Edit tab then Preferences and try lowering the graphics settings to put less of a strain on the little you have.  In the meantime ideally someone smarter will reply.

Here's how to check on graphics cards and updates:

How do I get the latest drivers for my graphics card?

Incompatible, outdated, or corrupted graphics drivers are responsible for many crash scenarios on systems meeting our System Requirements.

First, ensure you know who makes your graphics card. The Second Life viewer only works with GeForce graphics cards (made by Nvidia), Radeon graphics cards (made by ATI), and the Intel 945 chipset. If you have any other graphics card, Second Life may not run. You will need to buy and install a video card that works with Second Life.

icons_parature_warning.jpg Warning: Please make sure to closely follow the manufacturer's instructions, which may involve uninstalling and wiping traces of the previous version before installing the new version. This is sometimes referred to as a "clean install".

I have an nVidia Geforce 2 or higher!

nVidia-equipped computers can install the latest GeForce and TNT2 graphics driver package at nVidia's website.

I have an ATI Radeon 8500 or higher!

ATI-equipped desktop computers can install the latest Catalyst graphics driver package at ATI's website.

I have an Intel graphics card!

The Intel 945 chipset works with Second Life; you can get the latest drivers at Intel's website.

I don't know what kind of graphics card I have.

Please read this article on graphics cards to learn how to identify the card you currently have.

Tatianna I feel your pain. You are going to have to replace the graphics card in your machine with a newer one. There are many types of cards out there and it really boils down to what your budget can handle. You will also need to either replace the card yourself or find someone to help you do it. A nice basic card that can easily run SL will cost you around $50 USD. It sounds like you have an older machine which uses either a PCI or AGP graphics card. If your machine can handle an AGP card then go with it. I am assuming you are not using a laptop. If so then you are out of luck. Here is a decent little card that probably comes in both PCI and AGP and is $35 USD at Best Buy.

PNY - GeForce FX 5200 256MB PCI Graphics Card

Model: VCGFX522PEB | SKU: 9359945

Hello! I can hardly help you sorry but if this is an old XP system without any maintenance it can be your BIOS (first stuff you might read if you turn the computer on), a missing Windows update or your graphic driver. Without experience it would be the best to get a real life geek to mess around with BIOS related stuff. Anyway, the community can assist you much better with details about your hardware. Try Start > Run > type "msinfo32.exe". The System Information Tool will pop up with a bunch of relevant details. For example System Summary. Make sure your Windows version include SERVICE PACK 3. If not, a windows update would be advisable. More important, find out what display adapter you use: > Components > Display (For example: Name     = NVIDIA GeForce...). Now you can easily google for "nvidia geforce driver" to get your relevant update.

Don't be modest with copy pasting details from 'System Summary' and 'Components > Display'. Also try to google for similar cases. You might find a million discussions about this problem.

Well according to color quality I have Intel 8281OE Graphics Controller.....I went to Intel to see if I needed an up date....I dont apprently but thanks everyone soooo much for the advice this is a real pain I was so excited to get started..But again thanks for all the help you guys are awesome!

Sorry , Girl. You're out of luck. I confirmed that the Inten i810/815 chipset supports a maximum of 24-bits in color-depth.

Second Life requires "True Color" or 32-bit. A different video card is the only option.

By the way, if you don't want to open your computer. There are things such as External Graphics Cards. You have to plug it in and shift your monitor to the external card.

http://www.usbgear.com/USBG-DVI2.html

Regards,

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.