Sign in to follow this  
Kain Bolissima

Why do I see invisible patches on myself and other avatars?

Question

My question here is are the invisible patches where you have prims attaches, such as hair, show forms, sleeves, etc.? If so, what you are seeing as a running problem with alpha textures. It has to do with the channels of the textures battleing with each other. You see the same thing happen with trees appearing to be coming through the walls of a house when you know it isn't. Since the majority of the textures in SL are alpha textures, there really isn't anything you can do about it other than live with it...Sorry.

My question here is are the invisible patches where you have prims attaches, such as hair, show forms, sleeves, etc.? If so, what you are seeing as a running problem with alpha textures. It has to do with the channels of the textures battleing with each other. You see the same thing happen with trees appearing to be coming through the walls of a house when you know it isn't. Since the majority of the textures in SL are alpha textures, there really isn't anything you can do about it other than live with it...Sorry.

This happened the other day. I had tped my friend and as she landed she said something along the lines of "what happened to your boobs". I was like what? Nothing? She took a snapshot and it was apparant that on her screen she saw a chunk of my avatar mesh missing. It has nothing to do with the alpha glitch. My chest part of the avatar had been wiped clean. I basically had my shoulders floating on air and then my torso underneath.

I have no idea why or what caused this, but, as soon as she relogged it went back to normal.

Also, if anyone uses the Emerald Viewer (latest version) are you experiencing glitches with objects? I don't use Emerald anymore because it makes objects, attachments, meshes, land, builds, everything suddenly dissapearers. When I move my camera around they appear again but other objects just dissapear instead. Anyone else experienced this? I checked all my settings, made them higher, lower, nothing. I really need to use emerald to protect a skin i made for my avatar which is a one and only and i can't do this without emerald unless I change it everytime I go out in public.

Back on topic. Just wanted to tell you my friends and I have been experiencing this bug too. So you're not alone. It is something to do with Second Life if anything.

OH, Baeric must be right because it was the BOOBS that dissapeared for my friend. She uses the flexi boob function on Emerald too! When I get home I will disable this option and hopefully I can use emerald again. Thanks Baeric

Yes I've had this problem for weeks now.  I think it started with 1.23.4 release.  It shows up mainly on my neck.  Looks like my head is detached from the body except for a small tab of skin in front.  It effects me and my alts.  And it shows up on both my computers.  One has an Nvidea card and the other is a laptop with a builtin Intel graphics subsystem.   Rebake doesn't always help. I usually find that I have to Edit Appearence.  Once I do that, it goes away for awhile but sometimes comes back after a teleport.

I would LOVE someone to figure this one out.  It annoys the heck out of me

--Cinn

Message was edited by: Cinnamon Lohner  Oh and as a side note, I only use the SL viewer

Dang it Cinn, I been looking but cannot find, and I was sure Kwant dealt with something similar but it seems I was wrong, but it pertains to alpha channels not displaying correctly or not functioning correctly. I have been looking now half hour or more and cannot find the forum entry to reference it for you.

Message was edited by: Baeric.Constantine - I looked more, but guess it was not Kwant, but someone else...

Other than these I do not know.

Message was edited by: Baeric.Constantine - Quick question... Did you try upgrading your graphics card drivers?

I think I remember something about this in the old Xstreet forum when the release came out.  I thought the fix had to do with one of the parameters in the Debug Settings...   Some parameter that was set down too far.   It was probably an Anne OToole post.  But I can't find it either.

Well looking at the bright side, at least I won't get bitten by a Bloodlines vamp

--Cinn

Message was edited by: Cinnamon Lohner  Yes updated the drivers on the Nvidea computer.  The laptop belongs to work, so I just have to leave that one alone

@ Tempest- I've stripped down to nothing (others have tried it as well...a veritable nudist colony in the making ) and it's still there.  I originally suspected the bald hair bases, but I cycled through about 5 of them, plus the patches on my ankles and neck.

@ Baeric- This started while I was using SL viewer.  I tried Emerald and got it too.  Do you think it's simply the presence of Emerald viewer on my machine?  I kinda wondered about that myself...

@ Cinnamon- Exactly!  the very same description of the most annoying form of the patch!

Just another point.  I'm not a skin designer, but I believe these invisible spots show where the skin seams are located.  Almost like the skin doesn't fit anymore.  Maybe it shrunk in the wash       Odd though that it goes away for me when I Edit Apperance.

--Cinn

• Like 1

Ach! Baeric.

I did manage to log on lastnight and i tried out the Emerald Viewer.. I am still getting my glitch that I described.. about objects, attachments etc being invisible.

However, the invisible breasts bug my friend have are obviously down to the bouncy boob feature.

Though.. my bug.. is a completely different bug. Still can't use this version of Emerald

Try the suggestions in this updated Second Life Wiki Knowledge Base article Fixing avatar appearance

If not intentional (because Second Life avatars allow for a vast range of customization), this issue typically makes your avatar appear black or in otherwise bizarre colors. It may also show spikes, bumps, and other unsightly protrusions coming out of your body. For example, this guy's head is missing and his clothes are black. That can't be good:

320px-Glitched_black_avatar.jpg

First, check your graphics card to make sure it's supported and the drivers are up-to-date. Learn more.

Also, move the Second Life Viewer onto your primary monitor, or change your primary monitor in your computer's display control panel. Sometimes having the Viewer on your secondary monitor can mess up graphics.

If the problem still persists:

1. Go to Edit > Preferences.
  2. Click Graphics tab and check Custom to show additional options.
  3. Uncheck Hardware Skinning.
    640px-Hardware_Skinning_off.png
  4. Click OK" button to confirm, and see if that resolves the issue. You may also need to restart the Viewer.

Why, you're looking a lot better, Mister!

320px-Glitched_black_avatar_FIXED.jpg

If there are still glitches on your avatar, try rebaking textures.

Hi Ella,

Just checked my graphics settings and I have Hardware Skinning turned off already.  So that's not the fix.

If someone would post the codes I need to show an image in this blog, I will be happy to post a picture of this.

Thx!

Cinn

I've uploaded a picture of my neck (with invisible patch) into my profile.  The patch varies in size from day to day.   As stated, it will go away when I Edit Appearence.  Rebake doesn't seem to work.  And it will come back sometimes after a transport.

--Cinn

Cinn, that looks like the neck is a little long... kinda like some clothing wont go all the way down (shirts) so one has to put underpants on to hide the rest... so perhaps try lowering the neck a little see if it makes a difference?

As stated, the patch size varies from day to day.  If you check out my current profile you will definately see why this is so annoying.  And THIS is after the server upgrade today.

Isn't there ANYONE out there who might have an idea what is causing this??

--Cinn

Baeric.Constantine wrote:

I see why that is annoying... Is it that one skin? Or is it the shape? Or a combination that renders them incompatible with each other?

All my alts have the problem.  Logged two on to check.  Different shapes, different skins.  Same annoying problem.  I might just convert one back to a default noob avatar just to see what  happens.

--Cinn

I had the same problem with the last SL viewer and I would log in to see almost all of my AV gone. I found out that a quick fix that worked almost all the time was to select edit apperance and then click ok without doing anything and it fixed it till the next time I logged in. I have downloaded the newest viewer and have not had that problem since.

Hope this helps.

Hi Sillum,

Thx.  As I mentioned above, Edit Appearance is the quick fix I use as well.  But upgrading to the latest viewer has not cured the problem for me.  Having to Edit Appearance 2-3 times a session is annoying but not life threatening    But I would love this to go away.  I plan on buying a new computer for Christmas so am hopeful that a fresh install on a more powerful system with latest graphics tecnology will fix this.  The problem started with the 1.23 viewer and has simply not gone away for me.

Thx!

--Cinn

Long post so I could have missed this, but in my old worn memory there was something similar .....

Go to Graphic settings -> hardware options and disable the Enable OpenGl Vertex Buffer Objects.

About the Skeleton you are missing -> Avatars actually do have a skeleton which can never be seen because of the skin, but it's the thing where you attach objects to.

Wol,

SL Guided Tours