I'm 2 hrs new, logged in , Can't find my avatar.

Itchycoo Zeplin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5279 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

When logging in I automatically go into Dashboard.  How do I find my avatar and begin learning and exploring SL?  I did the  one original download when signing up and chose my basic avatar.  Is there additional downloads I need?  I haven't seen my avatar since I picked it out.  All help would be so appreciated.

Hi there you need to open the second life viewer and enter your avatar name and password in order to participate inworld. You will find the viewer in your applications folder of your hard drive.

Message was edited by: Kwant Capalini: If in fact you have not yet downloaded the viewer you will find it on the main SL website under downloads, just choose the one appropriate for your computer, then once opened you will be able to log in and access the world of Second Life.

• Like 1

Hello Itchycoo, welcome to Second Life

Once you've followed Kwant's and Jessika's great suggestions and are logged in-world, see I want to try Second Life! Where do I begin?

Sign up for a Second Life account,if you haven't already done so. Basic accounts are free! Be sure tochoose a name you can be proud of; the name you choose duringregistration is the name by which other Residents in Second Life willidentify you.

Download and install the Second Life viewer. 

• Run the Viewer as you would any application on your system.

640px-Login-screen.png

Try the articles, guides and videos from What Next? at the top of this page

• Like 1

Hello Jessika,,  Thank you so much for your easy basic explanation.  While all responses were correct,, I am somewhat computer challenged as well as naturally blonde    Looking for the blue hand is what triggered it.   I didn't allow it to go to my desktop whilst downloading ,, rather documents.  MISTAKE   Now I shall have to send it to desktop for quicker access in the future.  Still don't have a picture yet although I'm sure I'll find out how to fix that when I go to my Profile.  I assumed my current avatar would show up there but obviously not..

This is a very challenging site to learn and navigate initially but I'm sure it will all come together..

Thanks again...

Cheers,,,   Itchycoo

Hello Kwant...    Many thanks for your input...   Your mention of applications/hard drive  temporarily buzzed my brain cells to parts unknown.  Not terribly computer literate.... but thanks to Jessika,,,  I found a blue hand that got me going in the right direction.    I hope I meet you sometime to thank you personally..  after I collect myself.  lol

Cheers,,  Itchycoo

Hello Ella,    Thank you for your input to my question.  I have found the application I downloaded but discovered it wasn't actually installed... which I then did ....   I seem to be on track now.

This is all quite challenging for me but refuse to give up at this early stage.!!

I shall now take the time to do the homework..

Thanks again..  Cheers

Itchycoo Z

if ur not joking i bet ur using a mac...go to the very bottom of the screen with the pointer thing shaped like an arrow that moves around with the mouse... move it around and click at the bottom of the screen the "desk top" should pop up then move ur mouse to the desk top and click it not a program just the desk top a menu should pop up and then click turn off hiding..that should fix ur prob ...if this isn't a joke...lol  the main screen is normally called the desk top...good luck it will get easier ...i grew up using computers and take it for granted a lot of ppl are just starting...i hope this helped

Just remember that this is not a "game" in the traditional sense of the word, like WOW and other on line. This is a virtual world where you interact with people just as you would walking out your door at home. There are sims where you can play that are similar to WoW, but wait to go there until you get your feet under you. Be sure to take your time on the help portal you start in before you move onto the main world. There is a lot of very basic info there that you will need to survive and make your experience more enjoyable. Once you get inwork, look at your screen and you will see a search button, click that then select the tab that says events. Under that select the pull down menu and select education. NCI has a number of classes that will introduce you to SL in general and will teach you how to use all the lovely navigation tools you have on your screen. The classes are free, so take advantage of them. Good luck and welcome to your Second Life.

Hello Tempest....   Thanks for your insight.   It is very much appreciated....   Sometimes I think its just going to be too much and then I get a spark of inspiration and I'm off again...  One question I have ( of many..)  is - is it safe to take all the gifts that are extended to me???  So far, I've been given a translator, land, a course and something else I'm not sure.   I've been taking them and incidentally, when you accept something there is no automatic reply or thank you as a response.,,, but at any rate,,  is there ever a time when you wouldn't accept gifts?   And to those that extended their freindship, I thank you and also for the gifts (slight bow of respect) and hope to reciprocate at some point..

Its a BIG BEAUTIFUL WORLD OUT THERE !!

The best advice I can give someone just starting in SL is to treat it like it's The Real Thing- remember, ever avatar you see out there (disclaimer re: bots- you'll learn about those) has a real, live person on the other side of the screen and regardless of what they say about SL being a 'game' there are very real feelings and thoughts out there. SL has some brilliant minds as residents, and not so brilliant- but in general the most fun people are the ones who are themselves and play nice.

If you decide to jump into a roleplaying community, of course all bets are off and you're on your own to play as you desire- but as long as you're in 'general society' in SL, please be nice and treat everyone just as you would if you met them on the street for the first time.

As for learning 'the system', it is admittedly a lot to learn; don't despair though, we've all been there and done stupid noob things (some still do) but it will become second nature soon enough. Don't be afraid to ask questions, ever.

Hello Eli...    LOL...  maybe thats better than seeing people and not being able to communicate..  Actually, clicking on CHAT will allow you to communicate if they're not otherwise engaged.  However,,  I don't know why you don't see other avs..  I did right away  ,,  walking flying and running around.  I didn't have a printer hooked up to my lap top so I think thats my biggest problem!  I had an opportunity to download and print all the info required to navigate and didn't..   I may have to figure out how to do that yet.   It should make things so much easier...

Good luck to you and keep in touch and let me know how you're doing..

Itchycoo

Hello Lillith,,  Thank you for your observations and advice.   I will be more careful..   Maybe thats why I couldn't hear anything last night..  I went to my first event and couldn't hear the music.  I could hear the odd voice now and then but everyone was dancing and  I couldn't hear a thing..   strange.  Someone reccommended restarting my something or other ( I forget) and I didn't know how to do that anyway.   Any ideas?

Thanks again..

Regards,,   Itchycoo

Does "restarting your player" ring any bells?   Sometimes if the DJs switch streams people have to restart their players... when you're inworld you'll see a little music note, lower taskbar rightside... that controls music media... just click it to turn on or off.  Doing that, turning it off then on again is restarting your player.

Love your name by the way, gives me a chuckle - Itchycoo, thats classic, love it!

I can't guarantee this will fix your problem, but this is usually the solution to not hearing music.

At the top of your viewer click on Edit, then Preferences, then the Audio & Video Tab on the left, then check the box next to: Play Streaming Music When Available.

Then at the bottom right of your viewer, right over Map there is a play button arrow  >  click on that if its not greyed out.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5279 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.