Age Verification Problems

Lord Darkmatter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5279 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

17 answers to this question

thank you for this thread, lord darkmatter:

I fully agree! The procedure is complicated enough as it is:

1. The data base on aristotele may be huge, but as expected they do not have every citizen in the world on file.Some residents need to send in a copy of an ID and a utility bill via a ticket to Linden Lab, despite most IDs in many country being proof of the adress of a citizen. Linden Labs verify in due time, which is helpful.

2. The next hurdle to get into adult rated Sims is activating adult content in the preferences -> general ->search for:pg, mature, adult content

Once both is done, these residents have access to a multitude of adult sims and get them in search as well. However I was baffled when they were unable to come to MY sim, despite them being verified adults and being able to give me details of other adult sims from the search function, my sim was still not available to them, although I only activated 'adult' as the only rating that could stop anyone from visiting it.

to make SURE its only the adult setting that stops adults who can VIEW adult content in search that stops them from coming to my sim, I deactivated the adult setting, tped them in...and on reactivating it again they were ejected...

Now as far as I know only verified adult residents can see adult places in search. Why is it still not possible that they tp into my sim, even after having taken the first two hurdles successfully??

Generally the procedure is already too complicated, as even payments made by credit card do not verify. However only adult rating of a sim protects the sim owner against possible minors witnessing whatever may be seen by residents of a country we do not even know the law of, and about what qualifies as adult content: While in the US a visible bare breast may be rated 'adult content', in some oriental country that may already apply to a female unveiled face. In denmark a bare breast would most certainly not be seen as X- rated. No one can guarantee a perfect supervision of all public chat or voice in a sim making sure it has no violent or sexual content. The only way to stay safe as a sim owner is setting the sim to 'adult' no matter what the content may be.

However I too have witnessed verified adults being unable to come and see my sim, as if the underlying permissions were different from adult sim to adult sim.

Like 90% of the sims we offer content for residents to enjoy, however I can t get rid of the impression the permission system is faulty.

*hugs*

Larah Oh

there is payment verification and that can get u to the adult regions...but there is also a  separate age verification link on ur dash board in the "account" pull down...there r some security systems that require u have filled out the age verification not just the payment method before u enter them...i think some ppl get confuse about it since they can get in to the adult regions with only inputting their credit card...i had to do both...i worked in an adult sim and never had a prob going anywhere i wanted... then i came across a barrier that wouldn't let me through...kinda like a ban line but it says something about age verification...to fix that u just need to prove ur age with a driver's license, passport or other personal id...i hope this helps

• Like 1

I am adult verified and I was unable to get to a sim a couple days ago, I would get the warning adult verification required.  My prefs are set to pg, mature, and adult, and I re-verified on the dashboard and still was unable to reach that sim.  Im not too concerned because I generally dont visit adult sims, but it would be nice if things worked the way they are supposed to.

• Lindens

Friendly greetings! A number of times I've seen this, Residents were confusing Age Verification with Adult Verification — THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. Age V.  is a SUBSET of Adult V. (We're working on making the names less ambiguous, since heck, it confuses me, too.) I'd need more details to understand your case, but maybe this is of help, in particular the pictures:

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:What_are_the_different_types_of_Account_Verification%3F

• Like 1

thank you so much for your helpful posts

it would however be a pity if this helpful thread would end up in a thread about definitions:

to circumvent misunderstandings about definitions, I refer to the wonderful graph http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/File:Land_entry_flowchart.jpg

according to the graph a resident that is adult verified has access to sims that are only open for adult verified residents. That is not always the case.

In other words: 'are you banned on estate level -No' - 'is payment restriction on -No' - 'is age verification on estate level on - No' - 'region maturity is compared to your preferred maturity -Yes' - 'are you banned-No' - 'Is payment restriction on parcel level on- No' - 'Is age verification on parcel level on-Yes' - 'are you age verified-Yes'- 'you may enter': MAYBE yes, maybe not

I agree that the terms are confusing, in that the adult access requirements are now and then called 'age verification' and 'adult verification'. To circumvent that confusion I avoid the term 'age verification', since only an 'age verification' that proves a resident is an adult is granting that adult resident access.

Adult residents who verified their adult age with aristotele and who set their preferences to PG, Mature, Adult can access some sims, some they cannot. Every Owner of a Sim/ Estate manager who restricts access to 'verified adults only' can can get confirmation of that problem with a simple 3- step procedure:

step 1: meet the resident who claims that he/she is successfully verified and has set his/her preferences correctly in a sim that this resident can go to and make sure it is restricted to adult access on the sim level. If the resident can join you the settings must be correct

step 2: untickmark the adult restriction on YOUR sim, and teleport the resident into your sim

step 3: activate the adult restriction on your sim again and watch how the resident is ejected

with these three steps you can make sure that it is only this one tickmark that made the difference.

With this easy standard procedure everyone can access the problem and we avoid definition problems in this thread

I hope it helps

*hugs*

Larah

I age verified earlier this year. What confuses me is I am able to click the age verification option and fill in all my details over again? I won't fill them in again and submit but I thought if I had already verified my age then this option would not be available or say something like "You are age verified already." It doesn't even state it anywhere on my account info. I would like it if it stated age verified in profiles or something, like payment info. Well, it is still BETA I guess.

on verifying again Lozlo you need to know that LL does not save your personal information, except: ADULT/ NON ADULT The organization that has your information on file is aristotele. If for example a 17 year old age verifies that resident should be able to verified as an 18 year old and switch the settings that LL saves to ADULT

however, adult verification does not mean that a resident gains access to all adult content on the grid. Thats what this thread was started with

Larah

I am confused?

Age verification isn't adult verification? I thought it was? I age verified myself a year back and I can access all adult content on Second Life. So age verification must be adult verification? Ahh so confusing. There is a separate page to adult verify? I don't see it, only age page.

Hello Lozlo, see Torley's comment on this Question Re: Age Verification Problems and the link to the Second Life Wiki Knowledge Base page.

Age verification is different from Adult verification; both are part of Account verification. Depending on the Access set by the Land owner residents need different verification. But Age verification and Payment Info on file and setting your Maturity Preferences should allow you into most Regions, unless it's restricted by one of the reasons mentioned here Can't get into the land or the Owner has set up a Security device.

Yes, it's confusing !!!

It's even become more confusing for me lately. I did verify my avatar on the SL website using the Aristotle verification system (probably 1.5 years ago now or so) and after that, every time I went back to my account pages on the sl website and clicked on adult verification it would tell me I was already verified. Now, just recently, if I click on that link instead of saying I'm already verified it wants me to submit my information again. It looks as though some people that did verify using that form have somehow become unverified. It would be nice to hear from a Linden what is causing this, I don't think I should have to submit my information again to Aristotle. What can cause a verified avatar to suddenly become unverified?

Hello Gabby, unfortunately other residents have also reported that their successful Age verification seems to have got 'lost' because the Verification page wants them to resubmit their information, see pJIRA age verification results lost

As Larah suggests, this might be because

Larah.Oh wrote:

..on verifying again Lozlo you need to know that LL does not save your personal information, except: ADULT/ NON ADULT The organization that has your information on file is aristotele.

There are very few confirmed comments that a Resident, who has successfully Age verified, with the correct Maturity settings, has been unable to access certain Regions.

To figure out why they may be able or unable to access a Parcel of land within a Region (which in turn belongs to an Estate) there's this flowchart, Linden Lab Official:What are the different types of Account Verification?

If any Resident believes their Age verification has been lost then they should submit a Ticket with Support at http://support.secondlife.com and add their comments and vote on the pJIRA issue.

pJIRA is a tool for residents to file new feature requests as well as bug reports (The "P" stands for Public.) An overview and common questions about pJIRA can be found in the Creating bug reports and feature requests in the Public Issue Tracker

How do I log in to the Tracker?

• Visit https://jira.secondlife.com and click the 'Log In' link on the top right of the page
  • On the login page, enter your Second Life username (Firstname Lastname) and password

.. It would be nice to hear from a Linden what is causing this

SL Answers is for Resident to Resident help and advice. Support will be able to give you official information

Okay well i'm Age Verified and I must be Adult Verified if I have access to Adult content. So when, where and how did I get ADULT verified!? I didn't do this myself I only used that Aristole system about a year ago.

Also when Larah wrote about LL not keeping our information, I know that. I wasn't expecting to see the boxes full of my information like it does for our address and payment etc. I was just expecting a page to say "You have already verified this account" "This account has already been verified", or something like that! It is just confusing because if it doesn't confirm that you've already been through this procedure you don't know where you stand and whether you need to fill in this whole process again and submit your information. Egh, i dunno, do you know what i'm saying though?

Greeting Lord Darkmater!!

A resident on my land had the same problem.  She is from Brazil, and could not verify.  I told her to contact Linden Labs.  She did, and sent them proof of age through fax.  Drivers licence and some other Documents.  It took a few days, but she is now verified.  I hope this is helpful!!

Lord Darkmater

Here are some numbers you may try calling.  They are form the Secondlife Website.

If you have a non-technical issue with your account you can also call our Billing team at:

Toll-Free (US/Canada)
Long Distance

Our Billing team is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Local Toll-Free numbers

France: 0805.101.490

Germany: 0800.664.5510

Japan: 0066.33.132.830

Portugal: 800.814.450

Spain: 800.300.560

UK: 0800.048.4646

Support is in English Only

I hope this is Helpful!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5279 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.