HOW DO I HEAR MY OWN VOICE IN WORLD

Mercedes Lax

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Okay here is my problem I hope someone can help me. I have started filiming things in SL the Frapps. Now I reccords everyones voices except my own as when  I speak only the others hear me in their computers but my voice isnt coming up in my own so its not recording. It there a setting somewhere for that? thank you. a desperate little new filmaker who would really like to be able to star in her own movies.

Mercedes Lax

12 answers to this question

Use two computers?  One to speak and one to record.  You only have one output correct?  That would be your headphones or speakers.   You cannot output to two different sources so you'll need to use two PC's unless there's some software that can handle that sort of scenario, which I have no knowledge of.  You can also ask some DJ's who may have another solution.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Would be hard to use two computers as I would have to manage camera movements and my own, but that is an option I could perhaps try. I can't use broadcast dj programs as it has like 10 seconds delays untill you hear it in world so I could not  interact with others. ;(

There are programs DJs I've dealt with that they use to pre-record voice-overs for use in between sets, they play then during their shifts over the club stream same as their tunes and everyone including the DJ (person who's voice it is) can hear it.  If you think this will help, let me know and I'll get the name of the program for you.

Best of luck new filmaker 

• Like 1

That will also be an last resort option, but the problem is this, I wont be able to interact live with other avatars as I film witch is the entire point here here.  I dont get why our own voice isnt projected out in sl into our own speakers when we speak in our mics.  isnt there a way to turn that on?

Normally, when filming, you should have a script. If you're doing this without scripting, there 'is' a way you can manage it without having to be able to hear your own voice in world. Mind you, I have never tried this my self, but it sounds like it would work. Basically, you run a program in the background to record your own voice, while still recording the voices of the others, and just communicate as you would normally. Then when the process is over, you mix the audio together, inserting your voice where it belongs.

I'm sure with the right program, it would be possible to just record the audio track separately including your own voice via it picking up the output of your microphone and the input of your speakers. If you had such a program, you would only need to blend together the separate audio-track and the video track.

If both of these things are beyond your capabilities, two options are.

--Pre-record all dialogue.
--Remember what exactly it was you said, then record that, and edit it into it the video.

Mercedes.Lax wrote:

I dont get why our own voice isnt projected out in sl into our own speakers when we speak in our mics.

That's what confuses me.  It should be coming through your own speakers as well, and it's probably Fraps that's filtering it out.  You might try the "use Windows input" on the Movies tab in Fraps to see if there's a change in that.

Or perhaps run an instance of Audacity, Goldwave or other sound app and record your PC's stereo outs during the filming (if the realtime recording in the background isn't too much of a strain on your system).

Alternately, get a 1/8" Y-jack from Radio Shack and split a signal out from your speaker jack to an external recorder, be it a laptop, digital MP3 recorder, digital camcorder or even an old casette tape deck and sync them up later.

Have you tried running 2 viewers at the same time. You would have to log in with a Alt Av and your own and film via the Alt. That way your Alt will hear everyones voice including yours, just as the others hear you, and at the same time.

You will need to change the name of the file in the "Properties" tag of the SL viewer on your computer to " - multiple" at the end. I dont have access to mine right now so can't give you the exact walk through but I'm sure someone will do, or if not Torley has a video walk through on his knowledge base stuff of how to run multiple viewers.

Other than that - not sure how else you could do it due to the output issue that someone mentioned.

Mercedes,

This is not a problem with FRAPS or SL, but an inherent problem of the way most computer voice equipment works.

A standard telephone is "full duplex".  You can hear yourself in the earpiece as you speak, and you can hear other people speaking at the same time.

Digital audio equipment doesn't do this.  You'll notice that when you speak on voice, you don't hear your own voice in your headset or speakers, although others can hear you just fine.

It works this way partly to avoid audio feedback in your system, and partly because the conversion from analog sound to digital takes a short time.  Echoing your words back to you would not be instantaneous, but would lag a noticeable fraction of a second behind your actual speaking.  I've experienced this, and it's very uncomfortable...there is an overpowering tendency to listen to yourself and slow down to let your words "catch up" with you.  As a result, in a few seconds, you stop speaking entirely.

My suggestion would be to either run two computers, or to bow out as an actor in your production and concentrate on being the filmmaker.  As the camera person/director, you will hear all the actors' voices and can record them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.