IP Address Privacy?

ZenWarrior Fuosing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

What parties outside of LL has access to residents' IP addresses--assigned by their ISPs--if all communications between parties/residents are only inworld?  Specifically, do private sim owners have access to that information and/or is it provided to them by LL?  If yes, why wouldn't any problem simply be reported to LL to be resolved by it and without revealing to other residents information very helpful in ascertaining RL identities, or at least locales of residence? (This issue arose when someone, not even private sim owners but one of their employees, did in fact seem to know my IP address.)

• Like 1

I've been participating in online stuff for years, mutliplayer games, secondlife,i'm sure i can't even count how many times other people might have access to my IP address... this includes griefers i've banned and the psychos you speak of.  Maybe I'm lucky but i've never had a problem.  Nobody hacking into my computer, nobody tracking me down and knocking on my door... even if they tried my computer security seems to stand up to any attack.  If someone wants to fly across country or w/e to bring trouble to my door - i can't imagine i'm worth going through all that (and thats what 911 is for - if someone wants to go thru all the trouble of getting here, just to be carted away by the RCMP minutes later - colour me twisted but thats more stupidity than it is an actual threat)

Perhaps i'm incorrect but I don't really think too many people are concerned about it simply because i don't think people tracking down other people cause they saw an ip address on secondlife happens all that often, if ever.   I've been a club manager for years dealing in streams and dj's with groupies - haven't seen it happen yet... actually its the dancers who seem to attact those who can do them the least amount of good.

Maybe I'm unique in this, never had a problem with my ip being known and its not really even an issue.  Ideally its never been and won't be for you also.

• Like 1

Thank you for the information.  I had my IP Address banned twice, once by a club owner and she bragged about it and the other by my SL brother's ex partner.  The bottom line is weither a person can get my information or not I shouldn't have to change my IP Adressed everytime and like the other bloger said don't need no physco path with my IP Address.  This is a game to me and I enjoy playing it for what it's worth.  Thank everyone for the info.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.