Hello im in need of help...I am a cloud and i cant go into Appearence

LittleLilly Loon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have been in SL a long time already, made a ticket been days they seem to be out of ideas with this...I am at a loss my self. my other avie works fine when i loged in on her and i have given my password to a trusted friend and its a cloud for them as well. I like to know if anyone can resolve this and help me out. much thanks

9 answers to this question

Here is a quick fix, please note this will stop you from seeing yourself as a cloud (not others from seeing you that way):

Click on the Advanced Menu at the top of the screen. If it is not next to the Help menu, press ctrl+alt+D to make it show

Select Debug settings.....a small window will open. select "RenderUnloadedAvatar" from the drop down box and then set it to "True"

This will stop you from seeing others as clouds but not stop you from being one to them. They must change their settings for that

And here is the reason why your a cloud and some Knowledge Base fixes:

Why do I look like a particle cloud? (Formerly known as:  I've suddenly and unexpectedly turned into an ugly woman.)

In versions of the Second Life before Viewer 1.20, we used a default avatar loading form known as "Ruth".  When your avatar suddenly turned into an ugly woman, Residents called it being "Ruthed", because Ruth is the historical name of an early avatar form -- not unlike having a great, great-grandmother.

21a5c1206c9f42a2aafb8741e32806c6

In the Second Life Viewer version 1.20 and later, your appearance is that of a plasma cloud while your avatar is loading. This effect is not permanent and your avatar will take form as things around you begin to rez (load).

icons_parature_note.jpg Note: When you enter Second Life your avatar appears as a cloud until you are fully loaded.  During this time, you may not access the Appearance Editor.

58a72a0a7c48412d843eb0a44cb2d365

You also appear as a cloud when some information about you gets lost on the way from one place to another.  However, you are not stuck this way permanently!  See the following steps for help on restoring yourself to normal:

1. From your main menu, click Edit > Preferences > Graphics tab.
  2. Slide the Quality & Performance slider to a lower setting.
  3. Check the box next to Custom on the Graphics tab.
  4. Move the Draw distance slider to the left.
  5. Slide the Mesh Details sliders to Low.
  6. Avatar Impostors is checked by default. If you have unchecked it, activate that feature again.
Additional helpful techniques:
  • Log out and restart Second Life (relog).
  • Right-click yourself, select Appearance, do NOT save anything, and click Close.

If those don't work, try the following process:

1. Access and wear a default avatar.
  2. Re-wear your normal shape, skin, clothes, and attachments.  This step is much easier if you are using a pre-existing saved outfit, but remember not to save anything before your avatar is restored!.

icons_parature_tip.jpg Tip: If you tried all of the above, and your avatar is still a cloud, submit a ticket to our Support team for assistance.

How do I get other avatars to load faster on my viewer?

1. Lower your draw distance.
  2. Zoom in closely on the avatar that still shows as a cloud.

EDIT: Unklebob got there first !!

Hello LittleLilly,  before you log into Second Life please Clear   the Cache from Outside Second Life You can check the Disk Cache location from the login screen Edit > Preferences > Network.

Please see this article in Knowledge Base Why do I look like a particle cloud? (Formerly known as: I've suddenly and unexpectedly turned into an ugly woman.)

Tip: If you have tried all of the above, and your avatar is still a cloud, submit a ticket to our Support team for assistance http://secondlife.com/support/

This article will show you how to get detailed information about the performance of your computer and the Second Life world Statistics Bar Guide

Hope this helps

well after you go change your password...

Now that you are back... You need to perform a clean reinstall. That means after you uninstall SL you delete the roaming secondlife folder and then clear your trash. Then reinstall Second Life.Then go to the aditi grid first.

The long version: http://annotoole.wordpress.com/inventory-blues/

The LL version:http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Lost_inventory#USING_THE_PREVIEW_GRID_TO_RECOVER_LOST_INVENTORY

If you still have issues then enable the advanced menu by pressing shift-alt-ctrl-d and then select Advanced->Character->Character Tests->Test Female (or Test male). Now you should have a default avatar. If you still don't then you need to file a support ticket so they can go see what is wrong with the inventory database cluster you are assigned to. Along about that time they should have a few more customers from that cluster howling about it as well.

Hello wonderful insight..but it also didn't work. I tried what everyone as put on this post. i need to know what else, not what LL has put on their website. Has anyone dealt with this before and how did they resolve this cloud problem. i dont want to look ruth as thats the other options in RenderUnloadedAvatar. this still doesn't allow me to go into appearances. the problem is that the avie isnt loading. Please any help is useful.

You say "my other avie works fine"... that leads me to believe the problem is with something you're wearing.  I'd take off everything, clothes, eyes, change your skin, change your shape, take off your AO... it very well could be something you have attached thats the culprit.

Another off-the-wall solution I was told by an SL Mentor was this... I've had appearance issues, the result of a corrupt file in my cache.  Their solution:

a/ go to 'my computer'... 'local c-disk'... 'documents and settings'... 'your named folder'... 'application data'... open the 'Secondlife folder'.  b/ move the 'cache' folder to anywhere else on your computer .  c/ move the 'LittleLilly Loon' folder to anywhere else on your computer .  d/ restart your computer, login to SL.

>>the reasoning being SL recreates a new version of those missing folders, doing that gets rid of any corrupt files

You tried the character test I mentioned and SL will not load the defailt avatar?

You logged into the aditi grid and loaded your inventory there after a clean reinstall which included deleting your possibly corrupted cache? You did in fact delete the cache directory? The cache directory being different from the second life directory under program files?

And in aditi your avatar did not load?

If you did not execute these steps then you did not follow the instructions.

YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!!! the test male and female worked i had to bounce from one to another to get it working right....then i put on my old avie back. very much thank you. I had a wedding in SL to go to. on monday i was in a picnic. Thank you everyone for trying to help me. very much appreciated 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.