Stipends

Fillo Farber

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5238 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

If an account is upgraded to premium, is the stipend 300 regardless of account age? I read where older accounts still get 500 stipend. I don't have a premium account now - if I upgrade today, do I get the old stipend rate of 500 or the new rate of 300?. My account is over 5yrs old.

19 answers to this question

Oh your stipend is due - i guess drinks are on you then.   yayyyyy!

Here's the breakdown, here's hoping you qualify.

Stipends are paid out every week by an automated process that runs on Tuesdays. Payments are based on information gathered from the database as of the preceding Monday. For example:
  • Bob Avatar creates a Premium account on Monday, April 14. He receives his first stipend on Tuesday, April 15.
  • Ekaterina Avatar creates a Premium account on Tuesday, April 15. She receives her first stipend on Tuesday, April 22.
Premium subscribers receive their stipend every week, whether they log in or not. Basic subscribers who qualify for a stipend receive one every week that they log in (that is, they are paid Tuesday provided they logged in sometime the week before).
icons_parature_note.jpg Note: While the automated process begins paying out stipends on Tuesday mornings, Second Life's population continues to grow, which means stipend payments will take longer to deliver. Payouts may be expected to appear later in the day on Tuesdays, or possibly even Wednesdays.

Depending on what type of account you have and its age, the amount you receive each week may vary.

1. Premium accounts created or upgraded from Basic on or after November 1, 2006 receive L$300 per week.
  2. Premium accounts created or upgraded between July 21, 2006 and November 1, 2006 receive L$400 per week.
  3. Premium accounts created or upgraded prior to July 21, 2006 receive L$500 per week.
  4. Basic accounts created prior to June 6, 2006 receive a stipend of L$50 per week.
  5. Basic accounts created after June 6, 2006 do not receive a weekly stipend.

Upgrading your Basic account to Premium allows you to receive a stipend at the current rate -- L$300 per week.

Fillo.Farber wrote:

Yes I read this. It isn't clear to me. If I had premium account back in 2004, 2005 for example  and downgraded at some point, do I get the old stipend or the new rate when I upgrade again? The information can be read to work both ways from what I see.

The way I read it, number one applies here.

Premium accounts created or upgraded from Basic on or after November 1, 2006 receive L$300 per week.

It's after November 1, 2006, you're upgrading from Basic, so that means 300L per week.

Yes where I live we read writing sideways. My basic account was "created" in 2007 and I get the $L50 stipend. Why? Maybe because my account age is much older? It may work the other way as well. Lets let someone who has experience with this answer the question please.

The preamble; sorry if the answers were misleading - I based mine on what you asked.

"If an account is upgraded to premium, is the stipend 300 regardless of account age? I read where older accounts still get 500 stipend. I don't have a premium account now - if I upgrade today, do I get the old stipend rate of 500 or the new rate of 300?. My account is over 5yrs old."

My answer was no you won't receive 300/500 irregardless of account age, cause you don't have a premium account now - which does seem correct.  You didn't say anything about a 50L stipend, which explains why nobody answered 'properly'.

A basic account created in 2007, and you're getting a 50L stipend?

LL - "Basic accounts created prior to June 6, 2006 receive a stipend of L$50 per week."

Sadly i'm inexperienced, what you should do is submit a ticket to support asking why they're sending you 50L... perhaps they're better at explaining.

quoting unklebob who said (before he edited):

======================================================

How well do you understand english?  Perhaps that's the problem, your question has been answered by two people - twice each.  Do you have a premium account going back to 2004 - no you do not.  (you yourself said you downgraded it)
Do you have a basic account - yes you do (you said 'basic account created in 2007')
What do the Linden say...

======================================================

Read your own cut and paste answer.

Basic accounts created prior to June 6, 2006 receive a stipend of L$50 per week.

I downgraded to basic in 2007 and I get the 50 per week. There are obviously exceptions to the rule. Just as you are an obvious exception to an otherwise helpful forum. Go troll elsewhere and leave me alone.

Fillo.Farber wrote:

If an account is upgraded to premium, is the stipend 300 regardless of account age? I read where older accounts still get 500 stipend. I don't have a premium account now - if I upgrade today, do I get the old stipend rate of 500 or the new rate of 300?. My account is over 5yrs old.

No apparently it's not L$300 according to age, it depends upon when your account was created. However this is based on people who were premium prior to 2006 but went basic after upgrading again and then getting the old stipend rate.

LL may have changed this now so I'm not 100% sure but at one stage it definitely would pay you the stipend based on when you first went premium.

Thanks Ciaran, I think that is as good an answer as anyone other then LL accounting can offer. It fits in with my receiving L$50 on my basic account as explained previously and that it wasn't given to me in error. I'll have to give you a correct for that one.

Seems that you should Eithne. The only thing I am sure of is you have to log in at least once during that week to get it. I did upgrade back to premium since starting this post and I AM getting the 500/week now if anyone wonders how that worked out. So evidently it doesn't matter if you upgrade/downgrade during your time here - you still get the base stipend you got when you created your account. It could be that they changed this somewhere between 2004 and 2006 though.

just for clarification - if you log in for a week, you get the L$50 and if you don't log in, you don't?  I've never really paid attention since it's the first account I ever had.  Eithne is my most used one and I found this thread while looking for info on benefits of upgrading that account to a premium membership.

thanks for your help!

Being that I have done this, I can tell you that if you created your account back in 2004 or 2005 you should get $500L per week.  If memory serves me... you used to have to pay a monthly fee regardless of whether you owned land back then.  So, you should get the $500L regardless of whether you owned land in the past.  Hope this information helps you.

Eithne.McBride wrote:

just for clarification - if you log in for a week, you get the L$50 and if you don't log in, you don't?  I've never really paid attention since it's the first account I ever had.  Eithne is my most used one and I found this thread while looking for info on benefits of upgrading that account to a premium membership.

thanks for your help!

I second that from experience. I didn't log in for 2 weeks (not premium atm) and was expecting 100L. No stripened. (account is from 2005 btw) Looked it up and you have to at least log in once a week.

Rowa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5238 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.