Crashing too much while teleporting

Chamelion Fuhr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've been having an issue with this problem for a while, and I just recently uninstalled and reinstalled the program to see if it would fix that, but no go.

Quite often, when I'm teleporting from one place to another, either using a landmark or using the home shortcut, It would make the sound effect of me teleporting, then stutter partway through, then crash with a bug report.

I'm used to it happening a few times, but now lately it happens on almost every attempt I made at teleporting anyplace. If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this issue, I'd appreciate it.

6 answers to this question

Fingers crossed this helps:

This article contains tips for people experiencing problems with teleporting.

Maturity Settings

It is possible the land you are trying to access has a maturity rating other than the rating set in your own Preferences. See the Knowledge Base article Setting your maturity preferences for details on how to change your preferred maturity setting.

If you are unable to change the maturity rating in your Preferences to a similar rating set on the land you are trying to access, please read How to become verified as an Adult for information about account verification, and Maturity ratings: an overview for general information. It is necessary to have the latest Viewer 1.23 or higher to access Adult settings. Download the latest Viewer.

icons_parature_tip.jpg
Tip:If you are not sure of the Region maturity rating for the land you are trying to access, open the World Map by clicking the Map button on your Viewer task bar. Search for the Region.  Hold your cursor over the Region on the map to see the maturity rating.

Take Off Attachments

An attachment you're wearing might be preventing you from teleporting successfully.

1. Right-click your avatar.
  2. Select Take Off from the pie menu.
  3. Select Detach All.
  4. Try to teleport to your destination.

Teleport to Mainland

Sometimes, it can help to try teleporting to your intended spot from a different destination.

1. Click Map.
  2. Type in "Pooley".
  3. Click Search.
  4. Select Pooley from the list.
  5. Click Teleport.
  6. After you arrive at Pooley, try to teleport to your destination.
MapWin_PooleyHL.png

Fly Up, then Teleport

Your current location may be preventing you from teleporting successfully.

1. Fly to an altitude of 200 meters.
  2. Try to teleport to your destination.

Unusually restrictive firewalls block teleporting

If your firewall is blocking outbound TCP port 12043, then teleporting, viewing the World Map, crossing regions, and related activities won't work.

See this article for more details.

Turn Down Maximum Bandwidth

Bandwidth settings might be responsible for an unsuccessful teleport.

1. Select Edit > Preferences.
  2. Click the Network tab.
  3. Turn down your Maximum Bandwidth setting.
    If your Maximum Bandwidth is 1500 kbps, try setting it to 500 kbps.
PreferencesWin_NetworkTab_top_MaxBandHL.png

Show Start Location on Login Screen

You could try setting up Second Life such that you'll appear at your destination on your next login.

• Select Edit > Preferences.
  • Click the General tab.
  • Select the Show Start Location on Login Screen option.
  • Exit Second Life.
  • Before you click Log In, type in the name of your destination region.
    For example: Pooley

PreferencesWin_GeneralTab_top_ShowStartLocField.png
    Show Start Location on Login Screen needs to be on.

LoginScreen_bottom_StartLocationField.png
  • Like 2

If you have been experiencing this over the past few days, it may be because LL has just updated the servers, and it always takes some time before everything settles in. Last night, I could neither TP half the time without crashing, or even stay online for more than 30 minutes before "red-mapping" and being booted. Today (so far), I have not been having any trouble more serious than flailing on arrival.

Hello Chamelion, as well as Unklebob's great suggestions, there's also a video Troubleshooting teleporting

It's usually a scripted attachment which is affecting your movement.

Take Off Attachments

An attachment you're wearing might be preventing you from teleporting successfully.

1. Right-click your avatar.
  2. Select Take Off from the pie menu.
  3. Select Detach All.

Please also check your network connection How do I check for packet loss (network lag)? and see this article for How   can I improve performance ?

First, make sure your Internet connection meets Second Life's minimum system requirements.        Ifyou're using wireless networking, you should try troubleshooting with adirect wired connection; we allow, but do not support the use ofwirless network connections.     Try opening the Statistics bar and seeing what your Ping Sim and Packet Lossvalues are. The ping values are the time (in milliseconds) it takes toreach the server from your computer. If this number is high, it couldindicate a problem with your network or internet connection. If Packet Loss is a nonzero number, your network or ISP may be having issues.    

Hope this helps

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.