Group in objects show up as (???) (???)

Barry Ballyhoo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5329 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

What causes the group displayed on the first tab of editing an object to show up as (???) (???) ?  The group has not been disbanded, has over 500 members.   The few objects on my land set to a different group show up just fine.

Also, if I try to change the group in question in any of the objects, even though I can select it from the list, the display remains (???) (???).

Thanks in advance for any help.

6 answers to this question

This issue was also reported on pJIRA (???) (???) instead of an object's group name and was discussed at Monday's Bug Triage.

The pJIRA issue was Resolved - Contact Support for them to investigate the Group/Region and escalate to Engineering if it's more than an individual issue.

Clearing your Second Life Cache , your Browser Cache Edit > Preferences > Web tab, Group Cache Advanced Menu > Clear Group Cache and/or Restarting the Region can help.

• Like 1

This issue (http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-4622) persists for a long time and has become better but still persists and can be seen randomly, esp. on regions which suffer from high server side lag. It's good to know that it is resolved and that we can turn to the usual bug slaying mechanism aka "clear cache", "relog", "clear group cache"

Honestly, this is a bit rediculous: The standard answers to each problem is: clear cache, relog, file a support ticket (and get a useless answer, if at all) and before I forget ... "rebake". Reminds me of windows: If you encounter an error: reboot or update your drivers .

Instead of fixing errors on the software side, volunteers and support are forced to repeat the same "reboot-tips" over and over like a mantra.

I still believe in the idea that Second Life has to develop further by adding new features and tricks. But if the base does not work properly it causes more annoyances and users who will never return after their first experience. Especially visual apparence and correctness of info presented on the surface is of the essence for new and "old" users. Flickering skies, incomplete baked avatar textures, textures from the surrounding baked on an avatars skin, not loading shapes (fog avatar), partial invisible avatars render Second Life to a CPU/GPU power consuming text/voice chat and a "scare-off" for new users.

Sorry for the harsh words, but "resolved" is not a solution if users still suffer from a problem. Cobra

Contacting Support alerts the Engineers to possible Region(s)/Grid issues because they can look at the Server logs as soon as possible. If it's a network connection issue between the Resident computer and the LL Servers then this can be discussed/investigated on an individual basis and with privacy.

Like many issues, how much of this is bug(s) in the Server/Viewer code or a combination of a Graphics intensive programme run on many, many different computer setups and using (less than perfect) network connections ?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5329 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.